Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New breathalyser law in France.....

Poster: A snowHead
New law, grace period ends in November

bon ski!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just do not follow the logic - "The French government hopes that with breathalysers in every car, drivers who suspect they may be over the limit can test themselves and if necessary refrain from taking the wheel." Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a load of garbage, total sticking plaster approach! Do the French government really believe this will work?

Can just see the local farmer in his 2CV with a bottle of local red inside him after a long lunch going for this!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ADAC has put out a notification on this this week and said that the ones being sold are total garbage. They are not even remotely accurate and have warned German drivers NOT to rely on them. Simple solution they offered is to nominate a driver who sticks to non-alcoholic drinks. Also said to buy them at the border as the ones being offered here or outside of France are over-priced for what they are.

Basically a sham move to generate income and indicate that they are going to "clamp down" on drink driving! Watch out for controls just over the borders though for the time being or in times when the Caisse is low! Keep an eye on the Use-by date as well as they will also fine you if it is out of date!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely a scam. Already seen news articles linking the top bloke at one of the Mfrs to some guy called Sarkozy Wink

Use by date is about 1 year or so. I have no intention whatsoever of actually using them, and the same is probably true of many millions of French drivers. I have no intention of replacing them after any expiry date either. If stopped I'll just plead ignorance, and say I hadn't spotted the date in the corner of the packet.

€4.50 in ADAC shop and £5.99 (=€7.50 approx) in Halfrauds. Not sure what the exact fine is, but I've heard numerous figures: €11, €12, €20. Whichever it is, the Halfrauds price for a twinpack is a very significant portion of the equivalent of a fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thread already here with more stuff
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2041793
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You are supposed to carry 2 of them.. so actually if you ever intend to use them you need to buy 3, as if you use one and then drive off you still need to have 2...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Max auto in Moutiers is selling them for 1.50 each so worth getting then if you are out here (although they are currently sold out!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think I know anyone who has ever been checked or fined for not having spare bulbs, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, yellow vests, yadayadayada. Lots of foreign visitors to Austria ignore the winter tyre rules but you don't see wholesale booking going on. Likewise I don't know anyone who got stopped in the UK over the kids' booster seat regs. These are things most people just comply with and the law makers know that so just the act of making it a regulation does the trick. There will be a small flurry of activity from French cops in December and then the things can just sit next to that spare bulb kit and be forgotton until you die. I'll be ignoring it due to simple mathematics... a highly unlikely 20 Euro fine is way cheaper than a few years of buying them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BBC said it's €11 (although as mentioned before, I've seen various figures up to a staggering €20 )

They only come in 2 packs. Thought you only need 1 (but everyone says you need 2 in case you use 1, which nobody in their right mind ever will, apart from trying them out for a laugh).

Between now and November, I say don't bother, but pick some cheap ones up in a French supermarket (if they're back in stock), if you're concerned and intend going there regularly, or for friends, etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
According to FCO website - the requirement is for one, but they recommend two in case you use one. Tried to buy some in France last week - according to a helpful chap in Roady at Bourg there are none left in France and he expected a delay before the law can be enforced. Have seen an ad on the back of a Torygraph rag which had them at 5 for 6 quid I think.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
£6.85 with free delivery on Amazon. I'm feeling huffy about having to buy them, though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ouch.

need a prize for the first person who can find a 2-pack for sale at more than the price of the €11 fine
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to give you an idea of the competence of the French Gendarmerie. A friend of mine got knocked off his bike yesterday by a 77 year old woman. It was just after lunch and she had clearly been drinking. She wanted to drive off until blocked by the car of an eye witness. Gendarmerie called (they only had to drive 1 km), the woman had no papers, no id. The Gendarmerie failed to do a breath test and let the woman drive off without any further checks having heard she lived "in a posh part of town".

Of course if she'd been Arab it might have been a different story.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Make work for the french as apparently there are only two factories in the world that make the kits........................you guessed

Both of them are in france!

Apart from the skiing and there is nearly as good elsewhere in Europe - do not know why anybody bothers with france these days - an expensive and bureaucratic shadow of its former self living on reputation and little else - funnily enough all went wrong when they went into the euro - vive the franc (don't know whether it was male or female so stuck th english "the"!).
snow conditions
pam w, you can borrow our set Pam! Won't need them again till September.... that is if I get home at the end of the week without using them. We got them at Halfords in Chi.
snow report
If I rent a car in France, do you think the rental company will provide the breathalyser, reflective vest, first aid kit etc ?
snow report
countryman, The ones I've seen are from South Africa! So that blows that idea out of the water. It is a cash cow idea for sure though.
latest report
Seen Czech ones too Wink
ski holidays
Crusader, When the vest law came in hire cars had them, no doubt they will be selling the breathalysers because of the short use by dates on them.
ski holidays
The fine is €11 as mentioned above..Anything more than a couple of euros isn't worth paying...

Edit: And personally I won't bother. You'll only be caught if you're stopped for something else. Keep your nose clean (so to speak) and the low risk/low fine doesn't make it worth spending the money.
Slightly different story for residents..

countryman wrote:
Apart from the skiing and there is nearly as good elsewhere in Europe - do not know why anybody bothers with france these days - an expensive and bureaucratic shadow of its former self living on reputation and little else ...

davidof wrote:
Just to give you an idea of the competence of the French Gendarmerie....

The French really need to review their attitude... despite their best efforts, whining brits keep coming back for holidays or even to settle..
This just isn't good enough...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy