Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes summer ski season 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from our first day on the Grand Motte glacier for our summer ski trip. Loads of snow which is great, although high winds meant that some of the lifts were shut. The weather meant the visibility was a bit poor at times, but not enough to affect the skiing too much. The snow stayed in good condition until 12.30pm at which point we finished skiing and now thinking about what activities to do this afternoon.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What was open rob??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Leisse, Vanoise and Rosolin (for some of the morning, although shut for most of the time with a tech problem). Cablecar, Champagny and 35 were shut becuase of wind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any decent bumps on leisse?

Just heading to hp geneva!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, didn't ski it. Lapped around Vanoise all morning. Vis was a bit poor and the Vanoise if more sheltered that other areas so can have the best of the conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
im out there on 19 july, youre missis looks well wrapped up, is it still cold up there and keeping the snow nice then?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Rob - where are you drinking I arrive v late tomorrow night for a couple of days business.?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That reminds me. I have packing to do. Now, what to pack for summer skiing, apart from just about everything...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Huckacliff duckabranch wrote:
youre missis looks well wrapped up

I'm a bit worried, that isn't Not Mrs r@r in the photo, so how would you know? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Huckacliff duckabranch, my misses is getting hot and sweaty doing Zumba in the UK so probably isn't wrapped up that well; the photo is of the lovely Emmeline who is one of our clients this week. It was a bit windy today so quite chilly on the chairlift.

chocksaway, we're staying in Tignes Les Boisses in the Melezes hotel.

little ms spock, pack everything! It can be cold, warm, or wet and everything in between. Don't forget your swimming costume as the hot tub and sauna are very pleasant for afternoon relaxation, and we're lining up some whitewater rafting when you're out here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little ms spock, Laughing Laughing have a fab time!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, I've just booked my summer holidays, but I must admit to being just a teeny bit jealous! enjoy......
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
C'est magnifique!

That was a very special day. Fab weather, snow which held well until 11.30 or so. We left the hotel at 7.30 and were skiing by 8.15, so a full-on morning, and now sitting in the sun on the hotel terrace contemplating another dip in the hot tub. Where did it all go wrong...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks nice, is there any difficult skiing available in the summer on the Glacier for those level 9 or above to take lessons on? (eg. off piste and icy conditions)

I did Leisse in my second week skiing by mistake (I thought it was a blue due to the overcast conditions).

snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did also Leisse in my 2nd week by mistake. Our ski host had been down the day before and it had been groomed. Needless to say it had been un-groomed by a shed load of skiers. Nearly bloody killed me!!

Looks fab Rob. Picture quality makes me think one of those rubbishy I-Phone thingeys was involved Toofy Grin
snow report
Bigtipper, off-piste on a glacier? Not a good plan. The Leisse is the steepest pitch that's available, and not guaranteed to be open, but plenty of ways of challenging experienced skiers on relatively gentle terrain. Two of our clients this week are Level 1 instructors training for their Level 2 exams next winter and Scott is giving them a good workout from what I've seen. Our approach is to build the strongest possible fundamental skills so that our clients can blend those skills together in whatever way os appropriate for the terrain/snow they find themselves skiing.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Picture quality makes me think one of those rubbishy I-Phone thingeys was involved Toofy Grin
Hell no, the iPhone camera is very poor, especially for taking snow photos. I use a basic point and shoot think that lives happily in my ski jacket pocket.
snow conditions
Quote:

(eg. off piste and icy conditions)

If the snow gets scraped you get this pretty blue ice that's hard as nails and has mammoths in it.
snow conditions
I thought the bit off to the right of Leisse was quite good for off piste (close to a piste), although you have to watch out for the crevasses (and some big holes). I suspect it is easier to see the cracks in the summer?

Puzzled
latest report
I wouldn't leave the marked pistes on a glacier. The trouble with watching out for crevasses is that you might not spot one until you're in it. Not sure about easier to spot crevasses in the summer but I suspect it's easier to fall in to one as the snow bridges will be thinner than they are in winter. In any case few instructors are qualified to teach off piste on a glacier. For that you need a mountain guide qualification.
snow report
Bigtipper, IMHO there is no difficult skiing pistes in summer, there are reds and one black. There are however plenty of difficult and challenging skiing drills that Scott or Rob could inflict on you if you so wished Smile
ski holidays
Grrrrr.....I had a long standing commitment for late this week/weekend which has just been cancelled....I really wanted to do this trip too. Those pics are just making it worse Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Chasseur, last minute flights are available Smile
snow conditions
Another great morning on the Grand Motte, slightly warmer than yesterday but the snow held up well until 11.30am Couple of photos, and some more on our Facebook album if you are interested. Via Ferrata this afternoon for those with enough energy, and hot tub for those that haven't!

latest report
rob@rar, lovely tracks in that 2nd pic, are you laying claim to them???
snow report
kitenski, no, mine would have been better than that, without the deep trench at the apex slowing the skier down wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, I'll look forward to the pic of your tracks tomorrow then Twisted Evil
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar, I'll look forward to the pic of your tracks tomorrow then Twisted Evil
I'll try, but in the meantime here's some of mine from previous trips wink

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
Quote:

no, mine would have been better than that, without the deep trench at the apex slowing the skier down wink

Are you saying there Scotts then Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
Are you saying there Scotts then Laughing Laughing
Nah, his would have been quite skiddy wink
snow conditions
During the summer season the skiing takes place in the morning only as the snow gets too soft in the afternoons. That means there's a range of options available after the skiing has finished. Today's fun was the Via Ferrata route in Val d'Isere, for those who have a head for heights!

A few more photos on our Facebook album.
latest report
Exceedingly envious!
latest report
rob@rar, Is that your mrs? Blush
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, no, that's a client. This is my Mrs.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
rob@rar, Is that your mrs? Blush

Agreed. That chick is semi-hot wink

Mrs rar looks semi-milfy, too.

Good pics throughout this thread from r@r.
ski holidays
im going to be on tignes in about 2 weeks, any recomendations for caoching?
snow report
Huckacliff duckabranch, depends what you are after.... racing, general tune up etc... the only brit ski school we saw on the hill this week was Emma and Phil of Snoworks who are running courses this summer but they tend to be focussed on professional development and racing this time of year. be worth giving their courses a look on www.snoworks.co.uk and tell em we sent you Smile
snow conditions
skimottaret,
i'm not to fussed about racing any more nor looking for ski instructor training, bit of fine tuning and some bump work, i dont mind who i go with to be honest, can be a Brit or ESF,
snow conditions
Tigneswebsite is your friend in that case
snow report
Quote:

any recomendations for caoching?

isn't that all about white water?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy