Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using snowshoes for off piste skiing.

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at a few options for day-trip skiing regarding getting up ze hill. Not looking at a full on touring solution, just want the option of getting some untracked snow in the mountains next to the resorts.

Does anyone use snowshoes with their chunky downhill boots, and skis on their pack? I originally hired some alpine touring gear to see what it was about, and I am not happy enough with their downhill performance to want to buy another set of gear. Much prefer to be able to use my piste/big-mountain gear.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alpine Trekkers. They fit in alpine bindings and give 'touring' capability to your alpine kit. Still pretty horrible mind you but infinitely preferrable to struggling up in snowshoes only to have to ski down with them. I'd also find somewhere that is renting better kit or give the guys in the rental shop more info about what performance you are after. Not all touring kit is equal.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zarb, I have toured with snowboarders who use snowshoes on short accents very successfully. If it gets very steep then crampons might be needed also snowshoes are poor on steeper traverses. They can be nearly a quick as skins on short accents. Care is needed on glaciers. The cheap plastic ones are not very good on steeper ground or on descents.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
get trekkers if you really are too rad to use Dukes (or similar) on your favourite big skis

another option would be MFD All Time plates which give touring capability to your favourite alpine bindings. seem expensive for what they are though
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd look into Dukes or similar if I were you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
"Using snowshoes for off piste skiing."

Err.................I wouldn't think they slide well enough to ski in Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow shoes are massively slow compared to skis. Better off in Dukes or something.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found them quite awkward on anything between what you might describe as a red/black piste type gradient, as they tend to slip quite a bit. In a group if you had someone fit enough to break a trail in front you might be better off simply trudging up in ski boots, as long as the climb was no more than say thirty or forty minutes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zarb, I don't know, but skiboots + snowshoes seems to me to = very slooow painful way to get up the hill. Snowboarders will have soft boots that are better (faster) to walk in than alpine boots. Alpine Trekkers + skins will be a much pleasanter way of going up hill. If you do want to walk (with snow shoes are without), touring boots with a walk mode, and rockered (touring binding only ) sole will be easier than regular alpine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowshoes with Boarding, Telemark and AT boots are fine . . . not so much with alpine downhill boots. Trad' s'shoes are easier than the modern plastic short ones. They're narrower and better to traverse with.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zarb, Did a couple of off piste snowshoe backcountry tours in Japan this year , about 1hr 30 min up and was hard work but it was quite steady going , we kept up with some people skinning , on the next ascent i tried to boot pack in the guides track, but in soft snow that was a big no no Crying or Very sad think a baron/duke option is probably better, but before you change binding and buy some skins ,I would give it a go for easy access off piste snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just get some Dukes or Barons, no compromise on the way down (unless you normally rock a DIN of 20 or something silly/huck [really] big). No issues with normal resort skiing on them either.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MTFU and wear flip flops Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dot. wrote:
MTFU and wear flip flops Toofy Grin

Now you've gone and done it. We'll have the usual "Flip Flop -v- Crocs in deep snow" debate!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, I'm from NZ. Bare feet for me. None of this nancyboy footwear stuff.
snow conditions
Dot., yeah but . . . you've got Hobbit DNA.
snow report
I trialled the Dynafit TLT 5 boots with Dynafit bindings, and touring was an absolute dream in them. Uphill was brilliant.

However on the downhill, it felt incredibly difficult to get forward in the boots. My legs were in agony from the descent. Is this because of the relative flatness of the Dynafit binding? Or is it the low cuff and flexibility of the boot? Is it something that you would get used to?
snow conditions
If you're not looking for a "full on touring solution" why go Dynafit? Just get Dukes or Barons and continue to use your alpine boots.
ski holidays
Where did your legs hurt?

TLT 5's are a pretty well regarded boot. Are you sure you had the boot in ski mode and not walk mode? That would definitely make you feel like it was hard to get forward. It's also easy to forget in all the faff of changing over. I've done it a couple of times particularly when concentrating on something else. You can get away with it if you ski well balanced on simple terrain but the basic symptoms are not feeling forward enough because the boot isn't offering the resistance and washing out of the tails if you try to shift your CoG a bit backwards as you'll go much further than you are used too.

It might also just be technique, if you're used to skiing a burly boot you might have become overly reliant on it. If that's the case then adjusting to a less stiff boot might actually be improving.
latest report
clarky999, It's been said many ways, many times
snow report
Quote:
Are you sure you had the boot in ski mode and not walk mode? That would definitely make you feel like it was hard to get forward. It's also easy to forget in all the faff of changing over. I've done it a couple of times particularly when concentrating on something else. You can get away with it if you ski well balanced on simple terrain but the basic symptoms are not feeling forward enough because the boot isn't offering the resistance and washing out of the tails if you try to shift your CoG a bit backwards as you'll go much further than you are used too.

If you had TLT5s in walk mode on the way down you would know about it as you would literally end up on your *rse... the 'debattement' (opening/stride length) gives a huge range of movement (great for the up) but there is no way you would even get as far as the first turn on the way down without noticing...
snow conditions
Quote:

Are you sure you had the boot in ski mode and not walk mode?

Set of down hill with boots in walk mode, now that's something I never do rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
offpisteskiing, even if you had them bucked/strapped for skiing with the downhill tongue in? That's got to limit the range of motion surely? I've not skied the TLT5 so defer to anyone that has but it's certainly the case with most touring boots I've skied in. It's also a mistake I've seen lots of people new to touring like zarb make.

ski, Heh, I've done it setting off down a 45 degree slope which was thankfully in good nick. Blamed my horrendous technique and several falls on tiredness only to realise at the bottom what was up. Even stopped part way down to check my boots and still didn't clock it. Mad Embarassed
latest report
meh, if you have the TLT5 buckled and strapped it will be in ski mode as fastening the top buckle locks the boot cuff. There's no separate ski/walk mechanism on this boot.

zarb, did you have the stiffening tongue in the boot? Also, were the boots the softish Mountain version (green) or the stiffer Performance (yellow) boot?

I have the Mountain boot and they are quite soft without the tongue.
ski holidays
meh, as Kelskii says, if they are buckled then you are in ski mode...
snow report
Fair enough. Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy