Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oetz Valley

Poster: A snowHead
Would be keen to hear if anyone has any experience of skiing Oetz valley skiing, Soelden, Obergurgl etc on a budget.......particularly keen to hear about train access and staying in reasonably priced b&b/ pension accommodation and any specifics anyone's used? Keen to ski main areas but not wanting to stay in the 4-5* posh/ expensive hotels which appear to be the norm up in Obergurgl etc.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markymark29, Train to Ötz Bahnhof and bus or taxi up to wherever you choose to stay. Lots of cheap B&B/Pension type accommodation all the way along the valley.

I've stayed in B&Bs found over the Sölden Tourist Office site as well as from word of mouth. Fantastic Pension/Holiday apartments offered by Jacqui and Kathie Wilhelm in Sölden. Just far enough off the main street to make it quiet but not far enough to make it uncomfortable to catch the bus or walk to the Gaislachkogl lifts.

To be honest, DIY is often the cheapest way to go in Austria if you can do it. Toofy Grin Most Europeans organise all aspects of their holiday themselves so it is relatively simple to deal directly with the suppliers.

This link explains a lot of the transport options (ignoring that it is about a conference organised in Sölden!): http://www.winterneuroscience.org/travel.html

And this is the official one!: http://www.oetztal.com/main/EN/WI/orte/anreise/anreise_bahn/index.html

Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue, Thanks again. Is a car needed or are the buses ok once up there? Do you have the details for the apartments you mentioned, Jacqui etc? I'm used to and prefer DIY, it's just s case of getting the inside track/ do's and dont's etc, makes life so much easier once there!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markymark29, I'll hunt out the details for you and post them on here for you.

As I am able to drive to all my skiing, it is difficult for me to say whether the buses are good or not. I only use the Sölden buses for the World Cup race weekend when it is by far the best and easiest option. Park up in one of the numerous free parking places and then jump on one of the buses going up to the glaciers. Last time I skied Sölden I was always able to park in one of the covered car parks next to the main uplift out of the valley regardless of how late I started!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bus was fine, especially for those hotels on the main road thru the village, and it can't be a long wallk from most of the rest to the main road. Wasn't sardines. Free parking all day (often covered) is of course another selling point of many Austrian ski villages.

No idea about the bus from the station up to Sölden etc. - must be 1 every half hour?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed in Haus Sportiv in 2011 for 73 Euro/night in an open plan self catering accommodation, about 70 sq.m., that can sleep 5 to 7. It is 4 miles from Solden and 7 miles from Obergurl ideal for skiers with car trying out both places.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29, I've been DIYing to Obergurgl for a few years now and usually take the train from Innsbruck to Oetztal Bahnhof and then the public bus up the valley; it's the cheapest way of getting there. You don't need a car, the bus is fine. This is the link to the bus timetable:

http://www.oetztalerbus.at/images/stories/pdf/fahrplan/Oetztal.pdf

For trains:

http://www.oebb.at/en/

You can also book the Oetztal shuttle bus from Innsbruck Station but it's more expensive and depending on the timing of your flights, may not be convenient:

http://www.obergurgl.com/main/EN/GG/WI/orte/anreise_oetztalshuttle/index.html

I always stay here:

http://www.pension-hohenfels.com/Home.aspx

info@pension-hohenfels.com

It's reasonably priced and next to the Festkogl gondola. Also, Gerald, who runs the Hohenfels bar is a superb off-piste skier and a valuable source of advice on off-piste routes and conditions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kelskii, Thanks for this, been having a look earlier and unsure whether would go to Obergurgl or Solden, or do ski both whilst there. Where has best off piste or is great in both?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for comments so far.......
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29, Solden has a larger ski area and probably better off-piste than Obergurgl but I've only skied there once. If you stay in Obergurgl, you can add the option of one day in Solden to the lift ticket for an extra 10 Euros. Getting there is a 20 min. bus ride. Obergurgl has a differerent feel to Solden and an older clientele but this means that very few people ski the back country off-piste routes other than Gerald and a few others. Also, Oetztal doesn't get as much snow as, say, the Arlberg but the snow it does get tends to last due to the altitude of the ski areas.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kelskii, Thanks, always go to Arlberg but just fancying a week somewhere different, think I've been spoilt so struggling but Oetztal seems to tick most boxes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the main soelden website had a very good booking system where most if not all of the hotels used, it had online availability and search functions , worth a look.... I used it a few years ago on a couple trips to Soelden
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 - As skimottaret says, the Soelden website's online booking system is excellent. We used it for a 3 night stay in April and were spoilt for choice on reasonably priced B&Bs. The location of the digs is also shown on a map, which is really useful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, Here's the link to Pension Jacqueline:

http://www.oetztal.at/unterkunft/betrieb/garni-jaqueline.html

I stayed in the holiday flats built next door: http://www.oetztal.at/unterkunft/betrieb/garni-jaqueline-appartementhaus-kathrin.html

Rates were 44 Euro per night last season I think and worth every penny! Outstanding build quality and fittings.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue, Thanks, have sent them an enquiry, was that 44€ for the appt or pp? I see the place is pretty central, did you need to use the car when there to get to the lifts ir ski bus or walk? Are there some après bars and restaurants about, bakery's etc? Also we'd likely do a 50/ 50 eat-in/ go out for food in evenings, is kitchen in appt well equipped or just for breakfasts really?

Thanks for surrounding a bit of a newbie re Solden, that's because I am!
latest report
Markymark29, if the Gaiskogl lifts are open, you can easily walk to the main uplift. But is it is closed then the shuttle bus stops just a few metres away and will quickly take you to the Giggijochbahn.

As for shops within easy walking, a bakery just down the road (beware the cakes and pies they produce, delicious and moreish!) and a Spar(?) supermarket a wee bit further on but within walking distance.

The price was per person! I travel alone most of the time so I always pay per person Laughing

As for Après - there is the (im)famous pole-dancing club not far away if that's your style wink Laughing There is a wide variety to choose from but I don't actually do much Après myself, so apart from a couple of places near the lift base stations I used at the end of the day I'm not too sure. Plenty of good choices for eats though!
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Pole dancing.....Don't think that's my style.....ha, maybe it's in the red light area then!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see what they come back with. Sounds good.
snow conditions
dutch bar was always good value in the evenings, cant remember name... good selection of large self service and small traditional coffee stops on the hill.

I had a look at the place Sue mentions, very high standard for an apt..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy