Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

binding adjustment to smaller boot - VIST, Marker

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I got a new pair of boots, a full size smaller than my current one. Tested them in HH, some adjustments will likely be needed but generally fit well.
The old boot BSL 315mm, the new one 306mm. 9mm difference.

Is it possible to adjust VIST Free and Griffons to the new bsl without re-drilling? I re-set the older Markers Free 14 with remarkable ease, through the forward pressure screw. However on close inspection of VIST and Griffons' heel pieces I got impression that 9mm was too long a distance, for either of them.

What can snowHead 's advise?

Thanks beforehand.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
griffons easily, as long as they were mounted near the middle of the track.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A relatively easy adjustment without re-drilling. The rear track screw at the base of the heel piece (X head) can screw in to accommodate the difference. HOWEVER............. because of the lesser BSL the Boot mid-point will be slightly forward of the ski-centre line by approx 4mm.

Vist have a nice technical manual........ http://www.pureskis.com/downloads/VIST_mountingInstr.pdf

But your best bet would be to contact spyderjon, he's the Vist guru and can advise definitively!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vist's have 16mm of adjustment & I can't recall the travel on the Griffons, but you're right on the cusp of it being possible. It all depends on the jig setting that was used when they were mounted. Easiest solution is just to to try them (same method as you used with your M14's) & if they adjust to a correct forward pressure setting then you're good to go.

Just be careful with the Marker as if you run out of adjustment on the Vist the heel will just stop moving forward but on the Griffon you could be close to having the heel piece wind forward off the track in the base plate. I'd suggest actually winding the heel off the plate then putting it back on again, ensuring you have at least a couple of revolutions of the FP screw before checking the forward pressure.

Remounting the heels slightly forward (10mm clearance) is easy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Gents,

I'll try what you suggested.

spyderjon, both mounted by your good self (thumbs up here Smile ) . On the VIST it appears that the available travel is 6-7mm, on the Griffons if the h.piece goes 9mm forward then the plastic piece to which the breaks are attached will overhang the base plate - but all this is from visual inspection (and from memory...).

Let's see if a screwdriver helps..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
theskibob wrote:
HOWEVER............. because of the lesser BSL the Boot mid-point will be slightly forward of the ski-centre line by approx 4mm.

Thats desirable. Initially mounted rear of the recommended line. I'll like the new positon a bit more i think..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy