Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daily Mail says they there should be speeding fines on the piste

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2085687/Ski-safety-British-skiers-support-speed-cameras-breathalysers-slopes-study-finds.html

So, this article in the Mail says that only 21% of people polled admitted to skiing too fast.
It's not speed that's the issue here. It's a lack of skill or training for many people who ski outside their ability level. Similarly to speeding on the road, it's not outright speed that is the issue, but inappropriate use of it for the conditions/environment.

Perhaps they'd like to see a test for people before they are allowed to ski unaccompanied? I'll be happy to run training for this!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Philbo wrote:
Perhaps they'd like to see a test for people before they are allowed to ski unaccompanied?

I agree - fine em all

and whilst we're at it:

People who push-in in lift queues – lock em up I say
Anyone “picnicking” on a café terrace – make em buy the most expensive thing on the menu
Just owing a pair of BigFoot’s should be sufficient evidence of something worth a fine at least
If you keep telling us how it was much better before the “tourists” arrived - massive fine
Anyone who thinks my ski class is a set of slalom posts to be skied around at speed - jail

Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 20-06-12 11:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
almost half (47 per cent) said ‘speed skiing’ is increasingly becoming an issue.

I've not noticed a proliferation in the numbers of rubber-clad, aerodynamic skiers running in a straight line these days... or maybe it's an ill-devised poll with ill-informed participants.

then again, it IS the Daily Wail

I'm surprised they didn't also state that skiing causes cancer
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Just owing a pair of BigFoot’s should be sufficient evidence of something worth a fine at least

Or snowblades - but definitely BBR's!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Daily Fail says many many things

http://youtube.com/v/4abk9fd_lR4
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They should bring in fashion police for sure.

Any one piece worn without irony should result in lift pass confiscation.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would support action to stop idiots straight lining through beginners areas.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

That's fair and specific enough to actually do something about
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm pretty sure it was done to death at the time of the original article along with plenty of commentary on the unbiased nature of a study commisioned by an insurer. At heart the issue is whether resorts give enough of a damn about ensuring people actually understand the importance of situational awareness and not pushing themselves in environments beyond their skill level. After all it's not the daily lift takings that get taken off the slopes in a bloodwagon.

I can think of any number of places in the Alps where offpiste is a far safer place to be than on piste simply because of traffic volume yet I see very little in the way of prominent warning signs that people taking a particular run are placing themselves at risk because of a) the specific difficulties of the terrain/conditions or b) the high level of traffic e.g. in L2A a prominent sign that the green to resort is very dangerous and downloading is recommeded. Wouldn't help their marketing to show a piste map with only reds or blacks for a critical link though.

FWIW the US/Canadian speed cop thing works very well IME, they generally don't want to pick fights with competent skiers & boarders but just want to educate the thoughtless and plain stupid and protect the vulnerable. They are almost never on runs you'd actually want to go fast on but tend towards the high traffic home runs at particular times.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 20-06-12 12:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob wrote:

as opposed to 'non-idiots'?? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
iskar wrote:
jbob wrote:

You could be a non idiot if you were honing it when the beginner area was empty of skiers. Like fatbob says it's situational awareness that is important.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure how you can define 'too fast' when there are no speed limits.

If we get "road-style policing" on the slopes I'm never buying a lift pass again and will ski of piste for the rest of my life, I'm sure many will still go to enjoy 'the freedom of the mountains' though. While they are at it maybe they should apply some of the rules of the road too so every person that traverses ever inch of the slope width at almost 90 degrees to the fall line gets treated as if they had pulled out from a sideroad into oncoming traffic.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If we get "road-style policing" on the slopes I'm never buying a lift pass again and will ski of piste for the rest of my life, I'm sure many will still go to enjoy 'the freedom of the mountains' though.

narc,
Well you will still have to buy a lift pass unless you use touring gear to ski off piste. You certainly have more freedom off piste to go where you want but to go fast is usually best done on something prepared.
We don't have a high degree of road side policing inthis country so I don't eally know what you are comparing it with but if you think the freedom to enjoy the slopes includes the freedom to ski recklessly through crowde areas of skiers of intederminate abilities I disagree with you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just about every collision I saw this season happened at relatively low speeds. Speed limits wouldn't have helped.

If resorts want to slow people down, all they'd have to do is stop grooming.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cerebralvortex wrote:
If resorts want to slow people down, all they'd have to do is stop grooming. Bumps limit speed.
Only time I've had someone crash in to me was in a bumps field.

It's not about speed, it's about safety. This may involve high speeds, but not exclusively. I'd like resorts to get tough on unsafe skiing.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
cerebralvortex wrote:
If resorts want to slow people down, all they'd have to do is stop grooming. Bumps limit speed.
Only time I've had someone crash in to me was in a bumps field.

It's not about speed, it's about safety. This may involve high speeds, but not exclusively. I'd like resorts to get tough on unsafe skiing.

That's what I mean. If it was purely due to speed, then leaving everything ungroomed would solve the problem straight away. But as you noticed, the real problem is people losing control (at any speed). That's something you can't really legislate.
snow conditions
Lack of control rather than speed is what may cause a collision but a collision is a lot more dangerous at higher speeds.
ski holidays
What would the Daily Mail think about this,

http://youtube.com/v/_seuQvPBbzE
latest report
iskar wrote:
jbob wrote:

You are an idiot, if you hoon it through beginners areas, I would not like to see anything like us style slope management. The difference between a slow speed crash and a high speed one is significant in terms of the consequences. I once bollocked a bloke who thought it was fun to slalom down the beginners lift line. He still didn't seem to understand.
snow report
Quote:

freedom to ski recklessly through crowde areas of skiers of intederminate abilities I disagree with you.

There was no mention in the article of skiing recklessly. It was just speed.
snow report
I was once given a talking to by a Alpine police officer in Lech for speeding in the beginners area quite right too, I had not been to the resort before coming from St Anton but it was no excuse.
ski holidays
Philbo,
Quote:

There was no mention in the article of skiing recklessly. It was just speed.

Articles are necessarily short and cannot state everything, if they are talking about skiing at speed being punished in all situations in all places it is silly. If there are speed guns at crowded piste points I have no arguments, just as I have no arguments with speed cameras outside schools.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
I would not like to see anything like us style slope management.

How about a pisteur at the top of the Pierre a Ric after 3.30pm warning people that it it is a clusterfock and they might want to download instead?
snow conditions
cerebralvortex wrote:
Just about every collision I saw this season happened at relatively low speeds. Speed limits wouldn't have helped.

If resorts want to slow people down, all they'd have to do is stop grooming.

Nope. I stopped going down Valentin at LDA during rush hour not because it was too tough, but because there were loads of skiers who couldn't handle the bumps, and were going to take me out if I was in the way when they fell from above me.
snow report
achilles wrote:

Nope. I stopped going down Valentin at LDA during rush hour not because it was too tough, but because there were loads of skiers who couldn't handle the bumps, and were going to take me out if I was in the way when they fell from above me.

But, I bet they weren't going fast. According to the Daily Mail, speed is the problem. They never mentioned anything about control.

So as I said, if all you needed to do was slow people down, then leaving pistes ungroomed would do the trick. Unfortunately, the problem is far more complex than that.
ski holidays
So who are the fastest men on the slopes? Pisters usually with 20 poles on their shoulders. you had best tell them to slow down then ? Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Any one piece worn without irony should result in lift pass confiscation.

and as for one piece suits worn ironically; banishment for life, I'd say, to the same place as the people with the daft hats.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, Pisteurs usually the best skiers on the mountain so can ski at speed knowing every inch of the place and when to slow down, unlike heel speeding tourists.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cynic, That was my point. Just saying it's not the speed but the control and respect for others.
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader, +1
ski holidays
Skiing at higher end speeds isn't necessarily dangerous just as driving a car at high speed isn't. Its just a question of skiing in accordance with the conditions surely? Fast and out of control ie unable to stop or suitably deviate in the distance you can see to be clear is potentially dangerous thats a no brainer.

I for one would hate there to be speed restrictions as I enjoy going fast, its part of the thrill and enjoyment of skiing.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
jbob wrote:
I would not like to see anything like us style slope management.

How about a pisteur at the top of the Pierre a Ric after 3.30pm warning people that it it is a clusterfock and they might want to download instead?

What and ruin a good slalom course Wink

Seriously go visit Courmayeur, they have actual police, not a part of the ski patrol doing skier safety - I've met them over coffee and on lifts and never been questioned or warned for skiing very fast or using the beginner lift as a slalom course.

I have however seen them take money and lift pass away from many a Milan resident and haul away drunk and now screaming brits - who failed to exhibit proper ski control !

Running away from them isn't really an option,, unless you think Glen Plake is a slow bumps skier?
latest report
I definitely feel that it is bad form to ski without due regard for beginners in areas that are clearly marked for their use. When we stayed in Les Arcs our route back to the appt. was a small path right off the middle of the learners green piste. It had copious orange fencing and flags at the top - absolutely no excuse for not being aware that you were in it, yet there would invariably be a nutter with a complete disregard for everyone. Every day we would stop at the top and I would remind the kids to give the learners a wide berth. IMO it was their private piste - an area where they could be as unpredicatable as they needed to be and we entered the area at our own risk. When it was quiet it was a good place for us to use the gentle slope to practice drills, such as one legged skiing, on the way back home, but I would never have considered cruising the area at speed close to learners and find it hard to work out why others do so. Its a bit like nutters in any walk of life, if you can get to the bottom of why folks feel the need to not comply with basic etiquette and rules then I think you will have solved most of the ills in society.
snow report
jirac18,
Quote:

Skiing at higher end speeds isn't necessarily dangerous just as driving a car at high speed isn't

There are places and times when both are dangerous, I don't think anyone is proposing a single speed limit that applies to all times and places just that there are some places where a speed limit is probably appropriate.Driving at 100mph outside a busy school as school children are arriving/leaving is never appropriate, driving at 30 mph may or may not be, depending on conditions. Skiing at high speed through very busy narrow pistes is also not appropriate it should not stop you enjoying skiing fast elsewhere.
snow report
My skis don't have a speedometer on, so they'll have to come up with a foolproof and accurate way for me to know my exact speed if they want to give me a speeding ticket.

I'd fine everyone €10 every time the gate opens at a busy chairlift, and they don't go through to catch that chair, but wait to be with their friends on a later chair.
snow conditions
Quote:

My skis don't have a speedometer on, so they'll have to come up with a foolproof and accurate way for me to know my exact speed if they want to give me a speeding ticket.

Don't think they will give you a speeding tickeft just take your lift pass if you are honing through slow skiing areas, probably too bad if you guess your speed incorrectly.
latest report
One of the major problems is that caused by improvements in lift systems- so many skiers so efficiently whisked up, it is chaos going down. It is a lot less dangerous to speed on an uncrowded slope. Some of the best pistes in many resorts are those served only by slow chair lifts
snow report
T Bar, is that not what i just said? Clearly my sentiment is not advocating high speed in areas wher high speed is inappropriate! But that said high speed is not in itself a problem. Who the hell is advocating doing 100mph through a school zone? Certainly not I. The article and some subsequent posts are honing in on the aspect of excessive speed and then dishing out fines. I think thats off the mark and certainly largely unenforceable with any accuaracy.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 20-06-12 23:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
One of the reasons why I like to ski bumps is because its usually a bit quieter and for most people the terrain slows them down. Your equipment doesn't help you to ski like a dangerous idiot when its bumpy.
ski holidays
jirac18,
Quote:

The article and some subsequent posts are honing in on the aspect of excessive speed and then dishing out fines.

And others appear to be suggesting that because speeding is safe and reasonable in some situations it should not be controlled in any situation.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy