Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski Interview Process ....

Poster: A snowHead
dsoutar wrote:
Can someone suggest what a Crystal rep / ski host might be paid weekly (split into with / without commission if possible) ? My youngest has got a job doing this in the 2012-2013 season and I think she's misunderstood the wages as they seem rather high

As has been said, Crystal charge a Provision of Service, which is taken out of the monthly wages and covers transport to and from resort from the UK, insurance, accommodation, ski hire etc etc.

If your youngest thinks the wages are high then they've definitely misunderstood it!! From memory of a couple of years ago with Crystal, after tax, NI and POS was taken out the standard monthly wage was around £400 - £450 (except mine as my tax code was wrong and for a couple of months I got £125!!). Wages are supplemented by whatever job you do; reps earn commission on ski pack and apres ski sales (about 50 or 60 euros a week paid in cash out there), chalet hosts earn tips from the chalet guests. Reps may also pick up tips from customers but its rarer than for chalet hosts, the most noticeable times I got tipped as a rep were after really good days of ski hosting (in particular when we got a bit "creative" with the rules of on-piste and off-piste hosting......!)

It's not a job you do for the money, that's for damned sure. But then it is a great job and an awesome time.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

You don’t go to work in the UK and then see wear-and-tear on the office carpet as a deduction from your wages, so why do some TO’s think it a good idea to do this type of thing to resort staff.

I'm dead sure this isn't the reason, but if I was working in this way and looking to defend the practice I would mount the defence based on what would be assessed by the revenue as justified expense and what was a benefit in kind (for example a lift pass for a chalet host).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The fact is I am not defending anyone but all operators small and large do it. part and parcel of the industry.

But when you figure it out, food, accom, travel etc it is not a bad wage... some pay more some less that is just the way it is... Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to give a quick update and to thank everyone who took the time to post here - the advice really helped!

I am glad to say, I have been offered a position this winter - can't wait to get out their for my first season!

The interview process was actually really fun!

So thanks for all the help and maybe I will see a few of you out here this winter

Smile

Al
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski_AL, well done! Always nice when a plan comes together. Hope you enjoy yourself out there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski_AL, that's great! thanks for coming back to tell us. Keep in touch, and have a wonderful season. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to a Crystal interview day last year, the most important bit was your presentation, speak confidently and know what you are talking about, if you are nervous and clearly haven't researched what you are talking about you won't make it into the second half of that day. The next most important bit is how you do in the group activities, we had to come up with a theme night that would appeal to all age ranges, which is harder than you think, you need to be seen to be vocal and make yourself important to the groups pitch to the assessors.

Do those well and pass your maths test and you'll get through.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski_AL, Well done and thanks for coming back to let us know...the odd update during your season could be fun reading Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well done Ski_AL and thanks for coming back to let us know how you got on. Have a great season!!!!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all.
Just wanted to send a massive thanks to everyone who has taken some time to send out some advice on this forum. I have my Crystal Rep interview later this week and am really grateful for the help and advice I've found here, and (fingers crossed) will give me a fighting chance of working the upcoming season. Appreciate your help and am looking forward to taking some of your knowledge with me in the upcoming interview.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jdawson989, Welcome to Snowheads...glad you found the stuff on here useful, and hope it helps with the interview.

You should think about changing your 'Location' on your forum profile, though, because at the moment it's got your email address in and you don't want nasty webpage scraping things stealing your details and sending you inviting offers for male enhancement apparatus Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My Crystal ski Interview was laughable.....

I was living in Cervinia as the Overseas Technical Support Executive covering the Italy, Swiss and French networks. Smile

I went in, had a chat about hard drive RAID configurations, how crap CISCO system routers are and then they gave me the parts for a PC and said build it. Total time spent.....30 mins on the build and started the install, and about 2 hours chatting Smile

It was a very fun 8 months spent over there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Urban_freestyle,

I had a similar interview once. I spent half an hour chatting to my boss about an old operating system we both used to work on, then his boss came in and we talked about skiing holidays for three hours. I still got the job snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help? Starting to panic a bit now..... :s

I have an interview for a chalet host position with crystal and they have sent an email saying that we will be doing a presentation, group activities and individual interviews but it doesn't say what the presentation is/should be on. Will they tell me when I get there what it should be on? Or do I need to prepare something now, but what on? On the Thompson job page it says that their presentation for chalet host is 1 min on a welcome meeting- intro to area, whats around etc. Other things i've read about previous years with different companies(couldnt find anything about crystal), people have taken props and spoken about random things.

if anyone can help out a stressed me that would be great!!!! I really want this job!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
emmilou wrote:
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help? Starting to panic a bit now..... :s

I have an interview for a chalet host position with crystal and they have sent an email saying that we will be doing a presentation, group activities and individual interviews but it doesn't say what the presentation is/should be on. Will they tell me when I get there what it should be on? Or do I need to prepare something now, but what on? On the Thompson job page it says that their presentation for chalet host is 1 min on a welcome meeting- intro to area, whats around etc. Other things i've read about previous years with different companies(couldnt find anything about crystal), people have taken props and spoken about random things.

if anyone can help out a stressed me that would be great!!!! I really want this job!!!

Hi emmilou,

As a chalet host, the presentation you would be expected to give in resort would be to arriving guests in your chalet. So it's likely that this will be what is required from you for your presentation. In any case, its a good thing to prepare for. Around about 1 -2 minutes should do it. Focus on these things, if you don't know the actual info, just make something up!

What time breakfast is served from and to (typically 8am - 9am). Brief description of what is served (cereals, fried breakfast, fruit juice).
What time dinner is served from (typically 7pm or 7.30pm), usually a 3 course meal with red and white wine.
Explain that all rooms will be cleaned and beds made on a daily basis.
Where the ski lockers and ski boot room is in the chalet.
How to get to the slopes in the morning; walk, minibus, resort bus.
Any resort information you think is worth mentioning (keep it very brief, maybe mention a bar or two!).
Chalets staff day off, usually a Wednesday. Maybe recommend a restaurant in resort for dinner and say that you'll be happy to book it for them.

That's it really, just "stuff" about the chalet and the resort.
latest report
Hi Dav,

Thanks for this. This is what I have already prepared for but i started to panic the more I read about other interviews and presentations. I went to Tignes in January for my first ever ski trip and totally fell in love with skiing so I have prepped to talk about Tignes as I've been there. Fingers crossed the interview goes ok Very Happy
ski holidays
Good luck emmilou. for my crystal assessment back in 2010 I did my rep welcome speech on Tignes too!

I meant to say before; I think the most important part is that you can stand up and be confident speaking in front of other people. The best way to do that is to practise as much as possible, but it's very difficult when you don't know for sure what the subject material is! That said, the same rule applies, just stand up, be confident and give it your all.

Best of luck with it, and be sure to pop back and let us know how you got on.
snow report
I've got an interview for Operations Executive this week, any advice similar to going for the reps interview? I assume it's the same format on the day?

Now getting a bit nervous that I've not prepared enough!

Thanks,

Claire
snow report
Quote:

split off into side rooms, one assessor with say 8 others. All candidates give a presentation relating to their chosen job role (as a rep mine was a 2 minute "welcome speech" of sorts, explaning the main features of a ski resort of your choice.

I did this last year. It wasn't for me and I ended up working for a nice small, independent company but I will say the people that did best were the ones that had at least prepared a 'speech' in advance. I didn't so had to wing it and it showed.
ski holidays
In what way was it not for you?
snow report
Just ask them @emmilou,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy