Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski Interview Process ....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of interviewing for Crystal Ski (or any other major TO for that matter)? ...I have got an interview coming up with them in a few weeks time, so trying to be as well prepared as possible. I have applied to be a ski rep as it is something I've really wanted to have a go at and it's a great way for me to improve my ski technique and language skills at the same time ... hopefully a win win situation.

All I know is that it's a group interview in which some of us might get booted out half way through. So if anyone has any advice or tips, it would be greatly appreciated Smile

Thanks

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whatever you do, don't get your willy out and start waving it around shouting "look im a windmill". Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
damn it, that was going to be my part piece for if I got asked to share an interesting fact! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or that Snapzzz, says your crap
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Ski_AL,

In general, ski interviews are very similar to interviews for other companies and you should treat them as such. A couple of suggestions:

- Dress smartly. Black trousers, proper shoes, shirt and tie. It shows you care about getting the job and have made an effort.

- If you are under 21 or haven't lived away from home before they will be looking for evidence that you can look after yourself. Travel to the interview yourself if possible either driving or on public transport - do not let your parents take you. If you are young do not mention your age or maturity in the interview - let your attitude show that for you.

- Be on time, polite and positive about the whole experience. If you are in a group interview there will be other people who are negative or critical about the interviews, or who are talking about how they want to spend the season getting pissed. Do not join in this chat, be positive to anyone you are talking to about the whole experience, and do not mention drinking at all, to anyone.

- Read the Crystal website before you go. Make sure you 100% understand what the job entails, what the company sell, etc etc. And prepare a few relevant questions to ask at the end of your interview.

- If you haven't repped before think in your head of a few examples of other things that you had done that demonstrate the qualities they are asking for. Maybe you have done a customer service role before? Or been in a position of responsibility? Responsible for taking money in a shop etc? Prepare to talk about those experiences as they will be asked about.

Good luck!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Remember that skiing and language skills are not the main functions of a rep. Above all your role is one of customer service. You need to demonstrate that you are a 'people' person and you are confident at handling situations and getting things done. Good luck!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If you haven't repped before think in your head of a few examples of other things that you had done that demonstrate the qualities they are asking for

very good advice. You need a range of specific (and if possible recent) examples. Think hard about your work experience, problems which have cropped up, and how you coped with them. If you've worked in a team with others, maybe include an example of a time when one of the other members of the team showed special strengths/qualities. Or a manager you've had, who made you want to do your best - how did they do that?

They will be looking for people with resilience (amongst other qualities) Try to identify an example of a time when you've felt really "up against it", and have felt like giving up, but didn't. How did you get through it? How did other people help you to get through?

If you do group work, remember that the interviewers will be looking for someone who is ready to put their own ideas and suggestions forward AND give space to others, maybe encourage somebody quiet to contribute etc.

Good luck. But if you don't get the job, and they offer to provide feedback, be sure to ask for it.

Also - this is a guess - but I imagine they will be looking for flexible people, ready to lend a hand with everything. When I've done packages in the past the ski reps also did other stuff, including evening meals in the chalet and helping with the washing up etc. And transfer days - all hands to the pump. The ski reps seem to have a busy time when it's snowy, helping to dig out paths and vehicles.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski_AL, you're going to be asked some obvious questions and my advice would be to practice replying to the questions

I do lots of interviews and open with the killer question "take 5 minutes to tell me about yourself". It's amazing how many people can't answer this simple question in an engaging way that is relevant to the job I'm interviewing for. If I was interviewing for Crystal Ski then I'd be looking for you to talk about where you come from, how you got into skiing and why you want to do the job. In 5 minutes. Not 15. Or 20.

You're going to be asked some variations on:
- tell me about yourself
- when did you get into skiing/boarding?
- what do you think the job entails? (again, amazing how many people can't answer this direct a question!)
- why do you want this job? - the big thing here would be to move the answer away from "I want to slide and get pissed a lot". Focus on the job experience you'll get
- why do you think you'll be good at this job?

They are also likely to ask you some questions where they ask you to be able to demonstrate some of the qualities they need from their employees:
- tell me about a situation where you had to deal with a difficult customer
- tell me how you'd deal with having only 2 hours to clean 20 rooms on your own because your colleagues are ill
- tell me what you'd do if you were stuck on a coach with 60 clients and unable to go anywhere because the road was blocked by snow.

To work out what they might ask then take the job description, write out a "day in the life of" and then work out what you'd have to do to do that job and what could go wrong.

My absolutely "top tip" would be to practice the answer to these by speaking the answer out loud. It really is important to speak the words - especially if you've not done many interviews - as people have a tendency to "trip" over words in the rush to "get out" what they've practiced. Speak the answer just as you would in a conversation - so don't "summarise out loud".

I definitely agree that you should avoid all talk of drinking and keep your thoughts to yourself in the group. Whilst not common, I've certainly been at a group interview where one of the group was an existing employee.

You do, though, need to show some "leg" on being a fun/interesting person to work with. Self-deprecating works quite well in moderation. At a recent interview someone had put carpentry as a hobby. When I why they answered, "because I enjoy taking a piece of wood and turning it into a smaller, misshapen piece of wood".

Another interviewee described their guitar playing as "more wild enthusiasm over talent and my signing has been known to clear bars".
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Learn the language of your host country that would be a huge +++++
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I worked for Esprit the other year. Interviewed for a few others too, got offers.

To be honest I reckon if you just try and come across as a reasonably normal guy (or girl) you'll probably do alright....... As in, polite, engaging and hardworking.

Other than that I quess it depends how many interviews and so on you've done before really. But the usual stuff applies - make sure you don't speak too fast, make sure you know every inch of your CV/application form inside out (could be embarrassing if you get caught out) and don't interrupt or anything like that.

My favourite tip is if they ask you to demonstrate your experience in something try and give one or maybe two clear example(s) with good reasons why they're relevant. Don't start giving loads of poorly qualified examples, they'll stop listening.

Mainly just try and go into it with a clear head, don't overthink it and stress yourself out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and remember... the interviewers really, really, really want to like you and decide you're ideal. Interviewing useless candidates is dispiriting, to put it politely.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm always impressed by people who ask us good questions when we interview them. Rather than simply selling themselves, it shows they are trying to find the best employer/role for their needs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, with such great reps destined for next year, would feel happier to book Crystal now!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the great bits of advice!

Feel a bit happier knowing it follows the same format as many other interviews. I have done lots of research into working for them, so have a good understanding of what the job involves and hopefully experience from previous jobs will help too.

I've got my fingers crossed that it all goes well and I shall see some of you snowHead out on the slope this coming season

Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
If you are in a group interview there will be other people who are negative or critical about the interviews, or who are talking about how they want to spend the season getting pissed. Do not join in this chat, be positive to anyone you are talking to about the whole experience, and do not mention drinking at all, to anyone.

Fair enough there are some things you should never to say in front of an interviewer, but you're making me feel paranoid... the other candidates in the group are all definitely real candidates, right?

Laughing
snow report
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
. Do not join in this chat, be positive to anyone you are talking to about the whole experience, and do not mention drinking at all, to anyone.

'cos TOs seriously expect their staff to be teetotallers. Actually I'm sure we all met kids at university or wherever who started off teetotal and ended up total boozehounds precisely because they didn't have a background of enjoying the odd drink.

(I do know what you mean but if I was an interviewer I'd also be looking out for loners as people I didn't really want in a team based environment)
ski holidays
Quote:

If you are in a group interview there will be other people who are negative or critical about the interviews, or who are talking about how they want to spend the season getting pissed.

I have never worked for Crystal but as far as I know the other candidates are all real - certainly they have been when I've run interviews for other TOs in the past. But whilst candidates are waiting, doing group tasks etc etc there will be people from the interview team in the room and your behaviour during these times is still important.

No one expects their staff to be teatotal but they do expect them to be there to work, to take the job seriously, do what they are asked to do and to treat their guests well. I would have serious concerns about employing someone who is rude enough to criticise the interview process of a company who they hope to work for, who turns up in jeans and a hoody or who thinks that an interview is an appropriate time to discuss nights out - what if they do the same with your guests??

Unfortunately because people see ski season interviews as different from other job interviews things like this happen a lot more than you would think, even among more mature candidates who would never dream of doing them in an interview for their "normal" job.

Not that I think that this applies to the OP but he did ask for advice . . . Good luck Ski_AL, - let us know how you get on.
latest report
Latest snowHead to register .............
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=39369
snow conditions
Quote:

Latest snowHead to register .............
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=39369

Shocked
snow report
Quote:

if I was an interviewer I'd also be looking out for loners as people I didn't really want in a team based environment

I'm sure the interview process will be looking at how people work together and relate to others. It's a bit sad, though, if not talking obsessively about booze is seen as being a "loner". One of the problems with our boozed up culture is the negative response to anyone who doesn't want to spend their entire leisure time and money getting alcohol down their necks.

It is actually possible to be a friendly, positive, team kind of person without getting off your head every night. And certainly without feeling the need to talk about it even when you're not doing it!
snow report
Hi Everyone,

As one of the advisors in the Crystal Recruitment team we thought we would take this opportunity to give you some information and dispel rumours that we have a member of staff posing as candidates, there will be members of the recruitment team who will be in the room during the exercises and will be assessing you thought the whole day.

The last thing we want to do during the day is catch you out, the whole day is set up so we can get to know the real you as well as possible during a short space of time. So the most important thing is to be yourself, ask us questions and give your best with any tasks we may ask you to perform.

Some of the advice people have posted is great please do remember it is an interview so dress and act appropriately, do your research on the company and the role you are applying for, interact with other candidates and try your best to enjoy the day. Were really not that scary.

In terms of the day, you will be asked to complete two written assessments, a group task and a presentation. We will give you all the information and time to prepare the group task and the presentation on the day. If we see the skills and qualities we are looking for we will then invite you to a one on one interview where we can get to know you better and you can ask us questions.

Remember we want you to succeed and you wouldn’t have made it to an assessment day if we hadn’t seen skills and qualities we are looking for in your application.

Good Luck
ski holidays
CrystalSkiRecruitment, sorry to make you worry that there might be a rumour about you being sneaky. I didn't really think it was being suggested that there were fake candidates though. Good luck to you too. Smile
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

if I was an interviewer I'd also be looking out for loners as people I didn't really want in a team based environment

It is actually possible to be a friendly, positive, team kind of person without getting off your head every night. And certainly without feeling the need to talk about it even when you're not doing it!

You know that wasn't what I meant. Just some puritanical avoidance of the subject matter entirely is a bit weird and particularly if it isolates one from a group (& I exclude people with AA or real religious objections here). There are ways and means of being professional when the subject of alcohol comes up while showing that one is capable of being responsible. If it was my show I'd want evidence that the candidates were capable of recognising their responsibility to do the job and the importance of not overdoing the play side rather than have them lying to me that they really were teetotal virgins.
snow conditions
ctskifam wrote:
I'm always impressed by people who ask us good questions when we interview them. Rather than simply selling themselves, it shows they are trying to find the best employer/role for their needs.

THIS is my top tip, you can quickly turn the interview around so you end up interviewing them by asking decent questions. It shows your interested, have applied some thought and also takes the pressure of you Smile
ski holidays
Welcome CrystalSkiRecruitment, and thanks for posting Smile
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
'cos TOs seriously expect their staff to be teetotallers.

No.

Just like most TO’s we honestly don’t do anything without a reason. Interviews at time consuming to operate and expensive to run so it would be simply daft to run them in such a way that the people being interviewed weren’t given the opportunity to show they were right for the job.

But there again wink

There are Many Many Many times in a season when the job means being up at crazy hours and you need to be able to operate efficiently.

Couple of years ago we were doing an interview for full season reps and, as normal, finished after dinner, then took them out for a social evening round the town. At midnight we told them that due to a mix-up with the hotel booking their numeracy test would need to be held at 6am.

I was there and so were the rest of the office staff and "almost" all of the candidates.

Need I say more?

Oh, just a tip. If you're asked to do something as a team ????? don't rush off on your own to try and get it done 1st on your own.
Stand out - yes, order the rest of your team around - no.

It's quite simple really. You want a job. We must have staff. Win win situation really, "if" you are the right person and you can show it during the interview.
ski holidays
Wayne, Sounds a reasonable sorting mechanic if a bit devious. How did you deal with candidates that said "No thanks I'm off for an early night " after dinner?
ski holidays
Quote:

How did you deal with candidates that said "No thanks I'm off for an early night " after dinner?

marked them down as having poor judgement, presumably. The people who went out and got plastered showed equally poor judgement. wink

I think that the trick Wayne described is perfectly fair - work related test. Or could have got back to the hotel at midnight and then said that because one set of rooms had been damaged by heavy snow on the skylights the team had to clear everything out of those rooms and re-arrange the remaining rooms so that everyone could get a decent night's sleep!

When I did assessment centre work we (unfortunately) weren't able to come up with that kind of surprise! But we did tell candidates that the assessment centre (two full contact days) was set up to enable them to show us what they could do, and that nobody does equally well at everything, so not to get cast down if they felt they'd messed up on something, as it was still possible to get through.

All that was 100% true - I did the job for a good few years, with very high ability candidates (90%of the good graduate applicants had been screened out by cognitive tests beforehand) and it was almost unheard of for anyone to do well in all the tests across the board.

An assessment day as described above is a much fairer and more effective way of assessing people than the traditional interview.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, To be fair I'm sure with access to internet advice on assessment centres anyone who isn't expecting such tricks as part of a process probably has prepared inadequately.

I'm pretty confident I could pass TO level numeracy when fairly oiled anyway although perhaps not if a fiendish physics prof like Wayne was setting it. I thought it fairly tragic on a TO bus transfer recently seeing the poor things struggling to do basic sums on phone calculators - surely a couple of quid on a proper calculator would pay off if you're adding up lift passes & ski hire * 52 on a weekly basis.
latest report
Quote:

I'm pretty confident I could pass TO level numeracy when fairly oiled anyway

I think the test was more "can you get up at 6am after a night out" than whether you could do maths...
snow report
Haha,

Glad to see this has sparked off a good discussion - there has certainly been lot's of useful tips and advice which I appreciate (and I'm sure lot's of other potential future Crystal candidates will do to!)

I have done group interviews in the past, so will just treat it exactly the same. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get caught out by something which is very specific to the travel industry.

I best get doing my sudoku puzzles in preparation for my numeracy test!

Thanks for the encouraging words and I will let you know how I get on

Laughing

p.s Thank you Crystal Ski Recruitment for taking the time to post some information - much appreciated.
ski holidays
Ski_AL, I worked for Crystal the season before last. I guess your assessment day (not interview) will be held at their Kingston offices. The day pretty much panned out as follows for me (although of course it may have changed since):

- start in a meeting room with all candidates, answer some written questions including a written language (French) test.

- split into smaller groups for a random team exercise (ours was come up with a new apres-ski activity for guests), then present the idea to the rest of the group. The idea doesn't really seem to matter, I think its the interaction you show with working within a group and getting involved.

- split off into side rooms, one assessor with say 8 others. All candidates give a presentation relating to their chosen job role (as a rep mine was a 2 minute "welcome speech" of sorts, explaning the main features of a ski resort of your choice.

This pretty much took us up to lunch; at lunch a number of candidates who didn't make the grade were told they could go.

After lunch I think there was another 1 or 2 written tests (what would you do in this circumstance type thing, relevant to your job role). And the day was finished off with a formal interview where you'll get quizzed on past experience and qualities for why you're suitable for the job.

So, tips.

Obviously dress appropriately, you're putting yourself on show and (the old age quote) you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

If you have to do a presentation; research it massively and practise it as much as you can. In front of other people if you can. If you've been on a TO holiday before, think about what information you wanted to hear about the resort (i.e. keep it relevant and interesting!).

Try to brush up your language skills, if you have any. if you don't, get some language tapes and learn the basics.

Do research on things you've done in the past that would be relevant to the job role, and try to imagine what questions you'll get in the interview and how you'll answer them. Make as many notes as you can on this and go over and over and over until its in your head.

And finally, try to enjoy it! Its really not difficult at all; the assessors want you to succeed. They want as many capable candidates as possible and are giving you the opportunity to shine. Be friendly, open, approachable, get to know your other candidates (you're not in direct competition with them).

Most of all, and to re-iterate: be prepared! The more research you do and the more you go through all of your notes, the more likely you will be able to recall that information under a more pressurised situation.

Good luck!
snow conditions
Hey Ski_AL,

I attended an assessment day earlier this week and its exactly as CrystalSkiRecruitment explained it.

Simply be your 'best self' and get involved. If you have a background or experience in people facing roles, then you'll probably do OK.

Best of luck for the day and enjoy it!
snow report
Read Is Harry on the boat and is Harry Still on the Boat by Colin Butts the first few chapters will tell you whar not to do!

A funny if crude read
snow conditions
Can someone suggest what a Crystal rep / ski host might be paid weekly (split into with / without commission if possible) ? My youngest has got a job doing this in the 2012-2013 season and I think she's misunderstood the wages as they seem rather high
ski holidays
Has she taken in to account the POS (if Crystal still do it)? When I worked for them you got paid however much, then a couple of days later had money deducted for what they termed provision of services (POS) to cover accom, lift pass etc.
latest report
Hi dsoutar, from what I could gather its not a great deal after the POS, probably around £350-400 a month plus up to £200 in commission. It all depends on resort and how much the POS costs equate too as well.
latest report
There has been lots of good advice on here, somebody said to look at the website.
Go further, get a brochure from a travel agent or order one online, as the content may differ from the website.
One key skill in customer service is the ability to empathize with your customers and see it from their perspective. Understand what their expectations might be, and how they have been formed (brochure / website etc..).
If you wish to use the fact that you see this as an opportunity to improve on a language, decide in advance which language that is (French, Italian, German, Spanish, Slovenian, Bulgarian etc...), then research the resorts in that area. Tbh I have known many reps from many companies since I have lived and worked out here (1st season 1988), and very few of them have spoken French considerably better in April than upon arrival in December. Certainly they will pick up some useful vocab, but expecting to end the season speaking like a Savoyarde is highly improbable (Especially if you go to Austria).
It can be a good thing to have an idea of which area 3V, PdS, GM, EK etc.. you would like to work in, (and have a few good reasons for that), although avoid stating a desire to work in a specific resort, as people might think that you have a hidden agenda for wanting to working there, which might not be 100% compatible with being a Crystal Rep.
It's a bit dull, but demonstrate basic knowledge of the Charter terminal at Geneva (i.e 200 yards from main terminal, limited facilities etc..) Show some knowledge about Grenoble, Lyon and Chambery airports, and rough transfer times to the resorts. This might sound a bit anal, but it demonstrates that you are serious about the job.
Find out a little bit about the competition, what are the key differentiators, what is the USP? Why Crystal and not Bill and Ted's Most Excellent Ski Package Holiday Company?
You will need to be innovative and good at negotiating as in resort you will be required to devise entertainment packages partnering local service provider (bars, restaurants etc.), try and think of what kind of evening entertainment you would like if you were a customer. Classically you would have sledging, skating, pub crawl, quiz, fondue etc..., but try and come up with something original.
Good luck....
snow conditions
not a huge amount to add to this but to Summerise;

Make sure you know the company and their clients as you will be dealing with them.
Take alook at the actully job copy on their site and you have relevant examples from past work experience why you are the best person for the role
The role is customer facing, communication based, and most importantly being a team player inorder to make their customers feel no1.
Def e.g. of dealing with customers is a great thing to have.

These article was provided by few companies very similar to Crystal Hope they give you a good perspective

Travel Bound http://www.snowjobz.co.uk/working-as-a-ski-rep.html
Zenith: http://www.snowjobz.co.uk/day-in-the-life-of-a-resort-rep.html

all the best for the interview

Smile
latest report
fatbob wrote:
I'm pretty confident I could pass TO level numeracy when fairly oiled anyway although perhaps not if a fiendish physics prof like Wayne was setting it.

We set the test "very" low. The idea is not to catch people out; it's to make sure they are numerate.

If they were 3rd year physics students I may ask them to explain the 5 postulates of Giuseppe Peano. But as they are being interviewed as holiday reps I may ask the same question, but in a different way, ie. Prove that 1 + 1 = 2 in your own words. Most people would simply get 2 objects and say something like “here is one thing and here is another, now we have 2 things”; of course the 3rd year physics students may wish to include (as I would fail them if they didn’t) the idea of 0 to start with – mind you I’m a little malicious sometimes.

Sitter wrote:
Has she taken in to account the POS (if Crystal still do it)? When I worked for them you got paid however much, then a couple of days later had money deducted for what they termed provision of services (POS) to cover accom, lift pass etc.

I am NOT saying that this is how it should be done by all, but this is how we do it.

We know full well what a staff member’s lift pass, uniform, accommodation, flights, equipment, insurance, car hire (senior staff only), meals, etc, etc, etc is going to cost. We also know what we are willing to pay out in total to have a staff member in resort.
We simply deduct all the cost associated with the staff member from the total we’re will to pay and then advertise that as the wages.

So, if it will cost £10 to have them in resort and we are will to pay out £15, we advertise the wages as £5. The habit of showing wages as £15 “then” deducting” stuff as POS is a bit (trying to be polite here) naff.

You don’t go to work in the UK and then see wear-and-tear on the office carpet as a deduction from your wages, so why do some TO’s think it a good idea to do this type of thing to resort staff.

Blush Ooops – thread drift.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy