Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Respect the mountain

Poster: A snowHead
Had a day out wandering the hills at Glenshee today, with a few others, collecting the junk left by skiers and boarders. Organised by those who should not be named on this site !

As I know the area well and I know the head keeper on that part of Invercauld estate I cheated and took my wagon up to the Meall Odhar cafe and set off down the gully. Filled 3 bin liners with debris, notable items included a pair of knickers (!) and a cache of tins of red bull - half a dozen of which were still full, with a use by date of May 2012, so they had been there a while. Then had a stroll up the Caenlochan poma, over Glas Maol, down the poma and thence up the Coire Fion poma and back to the car, filling another bag on the way.

The tops were covered in mist, but the dogs enjoyed the walk and we saw four or five family groups of grouse with little balls of fluff chicks.

Now resting with a recuperative bottle of wine to hand !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Respect. Great work.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
deerman, Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
deerman, Good man.
A few ski instructors I've met always talk about the amounts of rubbish they bring off the mountain in the summer. As a result, I started to use a little box to keep my ciggy butts.
Who should not be named on this site?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
deerman,Wine ??-- that Red Bull should still be Ok. I have just downed a bottle of Belgian beer dated 16/05/10. And very nice too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's amazing what folks lose. I recall as a child that we were stuck in a traffic jam on the way to Devon one year - in the finish my dad got took short and visited a nearby hedge. He reappeared with a carrier bag containing a dozen bottles and cans of unopened in date beer that appeared to have been abandonned - he had a good few days on holiday that year! As a young adult I twice found one of those bumper bulk packs of cigarettes that are sold with a load of packs wrapped in cellophane which have been lost one someones walk home. Both times I found someone willing to buy them from me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's also amazing what folks indiscriminately discard with no regard for their environment or other people Evil or Very Mad .

ALQ, just pack in smoking Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many years ago when I was a smoker, I amazed my GF by collecting our ciggy buts and taking them home with us when up in the mountains above Barcelona. It was so beautiful there I couldn't possibly do anything to make it less than perfect.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ALQ, Think Ess, think See, think Gee...........

Farley Goode, 16/5/10 - that's yesterday man ! I'm not really a beer drinker but most years I'll have a tinny from a box I won in a raffle about 12 years ago - date on bottom of tins is 31 August 2001 - and it tastes ok, but it has been in a cool place all those years. Not a red bull drinker, even if it had not been sitting out through a range of temperatures for 2 years !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ALQ, lol ! That does remind me of back in the days of yore when after dinner at scholl and, later, afternoon rollcall in the army there was the rake detail : 1 person every two meters in a huge line, "raking" the grounds (area and number of participants whimsically defined by whoever was in charge then) for papers, chewing gums, cigarette butts, twigs, paper handkerchiefs and the like. I am still trying to work out which institution inspired the other...
Since then, I am a fervent believer the use of the box or zip bag to store personal refuse until the next bin should be standard practice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
volklwaffen, i think the police may have inspired that wink

The instructor said that parts of the mountain were covered in ciggy butts, usually half way up a long chair lift (he pointed out the usual black spots). I'll never forget the sad look of anguish on his face as I flicked my cig from the chair ... a look of, <sigh> 'i'll have to pick that up later' (he didn't tut or lecture or get mad!!).

Ever since, i have had great respect for the folks that clear up the mountains after the season. I imagine it to be a productive way to have a good walk and quite lucrative (he said selling ski poles to the hire shops was quite a good earner).

halfhand, I'm thinking about starting those electronic cigs....mostly just to irritate my boss as you can smoke them indoors Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Ever since, i have had great respect for the folks that clear up the mountains after the season.

but do you still flick your cigs from the chair......?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've picked up broken glass bottle from middle of a piste before, after nearly skiing over it. I remember asking an instructor whether I could chuck an apple core - he just laughed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went for a walk on a rocky beach whilst on holiday over half term and came back with a large handfull of fishing twine which I chucked in a proper dustbin when I got back to the built up area of the beach. I don't like fishing twine on a beach - too many birds and animals that can get caught. Once I started to pick it up, I found that everywhere I looked there was another piece to pick up! Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, he said in his earlier post he uses a box designed for cig butts...

Megamum, I used to pick stacks of it up when I went fishing my dad, it does my head in, it causes so many wildlife injuries, along with the plastic rings from a 4 pack of cans!

deerman, good on you. Good exercise and I bet you feel fulfilled by it.
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2058735#2058735

check out the video bottom of page one from Alistair Pink on the Bulgaria Bansko thread for the ultimate of whats left behind when the snow's gone!
ski holidays
Do people toss trash out of their own doorstep? I doubt it.

Then why they toss trash when they're traveling is a bit hard for me to understand. After all, that's someone else door step.

Respect the mountain, respect the beach, respect the planet... respect your neighbour's door step!
snow conditions
abc, Agree 100% and well done deerman, I live in the country and regularly go out with a bin liner and can fill it in 1/2 hour down my lane, it's a common occurrence for us to see white van man, chavs of all ages, family's even just lobbing crisp packets, lucozade bottles, McDonalds, cig packets etc out as they drive past as we are walking. They are real sad people, I wish I knew where they lived, I'd report them.....sadly it's just seen as acceptable in Britain, we live in a dustbin IMO.
latest report
Markymark29, I have worked out that we live at exactly the distance from the Micky D drive through that it takes to consume one of their take-away meals - how do I know? Well every week on the grass verge outside our house we find assorted Micky D wrappers that have been lobbed out of cars! Evil or Very Mad I often wonder what the reaction of Micky D's would be if I put them all in a sack and took them back to the store! In addition was really annoying and really potentially quite dangerous to find that someone had lobbed out a wine glass which had broken all over our gravel drive where the cars drive. I feel like posting a sign saying 'smile - you are on camera'
latest report
Megamum, Yeah, there should be a chav tax on Micky D's for rubbish collection, the problem is you get 3-4 in one car lobbing it out thinking it's cool and that culture prevails ongoing, no respect for anyone, or anything.
ski holidays
I think that many, or most, smokers develop a selfishness around their habit that leads to a big lack of respect about their environment.

Wherever you see smokers, you see cigarettes being stubbed out where they smoke. Whether that is a pavement, ski lift, outside an office - wherever.

I often walk up the pistes at Val Thorens in the summer and the amount of cigarette butts that appear, mainly around and underneath the ski lifts, is depressing. I guess they would rot away eventually, but they look disgusting and show a complete lack of respect.

I have never seen a smoker take their butts away with them on a ski slope. All the smokers I have seen fall into the selfish category.
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:
...I often walk up the pistes at Val Thorens in the summer and the amount of cigarette butts that appear, mainly around and underneath the ski lifts, is depressing. I guess they would rot away eventually, but they look disgusting and show a complete lack of respect...

unlikely, most cigarette filters are composed of cellulose acetate and will stay in the environment just as long as any other plastic.

There are some places doing some interesting 'green' filters ( http://www.green-butts.com/ ) but as far as I know, none of the mainstream tobacco companies make biodegradable filters.
latest report
@emwmarine, i'm glad to say that i'm a smoker who breaks your rule. i keep a little sealable bag in my rucksack for my butts and wherever i am, i find a bin for the butt.

i really should quit but in the meantime, at least i'm not adding to the mess that other smokers leave behind. i do agree that despite ashtrays, bins, wall-mounted butt-bins being around, a lot of smokers will just chuck their butt.

and i'd rather that my car is a skip than lob anything out of the window. my brother and i go fishing occasionally in some pretty remote spots and it does our heads in when we find a pile of rubbish just left there. sadly, that happens quite often.

@deerman, as a relative regular at glenshee, i'd love to drag my kids up there to get some fresh air and help clear up. depends on our availability but do let me know how to get involved. ta.
ski holidays
grazzenger, It's an annual organised event, usually mid June, and hopefully there is now no further need this year after our efforts last weekend.

As there didn't seem to be any advance publicity on here this year, I'll try to remember to mention it next year.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Markymark29, I have worked out that we live at exactly the distance from the Micky D drive through that it takes to consume one of their take-away meals - how do I know? Well every week on the grass verge outside our house we find assorted Micky D wrappers that have been lobbed out of cars! Evil or Very Mad I often wonder what the reaction of Micky D's would be if I put them all in a sack and took them back to the store! In addition was really annoying and really potentially quite dangerous to find that someone had lobbed out a wine glass which had broken all over our gravel drive where the cars drive. I feel like posting a sign saying 'smile - you are on camera'

Which is easier, a sign or a digital video caera? I bet the camera is just as easy.

Send the video clip to Micky D!
snow report
Megamum, Trailcams, as used by hunters in the US and elsewhere to record wildlife, are freely available - example here: http://www.bushwear.co.uk/index.php?ClassID=249. Usually activated by motion sensors, they may just be what you need, capturing either still pictures or video. I have a couple I use to establish what deer are using the woodland I manage, and when. I'm sure they would pick up number plates.........
latest report
abc, deerman, that's a great idea and gadget - a bit ouch on the cost front though - mmmmmmm.......I wonder if you can hire them!!?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy