Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AT Ski choice plus bonus random question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys/gals,

New here and looking for some new gear advice.
I am currently in the market for some new touring skis, and am deciding between Dynafit Broad Peak and Dynafit Seven Summits skis.
Very variable local snow conditions, can range from barely dented icy hardpack, to powdery (but nothing deep), and everything in between in the one day.
I would class myself as a beginner/intermediate skier, not quite ready to descent steep narrow chutes (but would like the ski to eventually be able to) - but with my local area being speckled with lots of random rocks - I would like a fairly nimble ski.

As for length, I am at a loss whether to go for a 176cm or something one size down. I am 6' and roughly 190-195lbs with my pack on.

Finally a random question not directly related to the original topic... can I remove dynafit tech bindings from skis myself (Vertical FT with centre-brace)? Or is it something that I definitely should leave for a shop to do? I understand getting them mounted by a shop, but if removal is just a case of borrowing a screwdriver and a little effort, then I would much rather remove them myself.

Many thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.47degrees.com/PRODUCTS/SALE-PRODUCTS/Winter-Sale-Items/i/1503/n/Dynafit-Mustagh-ATA-Superlight-Touring-Ski.aspx

Looks a bargain.

Bonus Q. Pass.

Welcome to snowheads.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buy Voelkl Nanook or Nanataq
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
with your stats I wouldn't go shorter than 176cm. are you set on a touring specific ski? unless your emphasis is more on the up than the down, you might have more fun on a less specific ski like the ones suggested by CH2O

in terms of getting bindings off skis, get yourself a pozidrive screw driver and most of the time they will come out with a little force. be careful not to strip the screw if it is giving some resistance
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why would something like the Nanook/Nanataq/Mustagah be a better ski? I am still very new to this... From most of the product descriptions, those wideish waisted skis seem to be for more ideal conditions and lightish powder rather than a wider range including icy terrain. I have ridden a 90mm waist ski on icy crud conditions before, and the experience was a little hair-raising. Is this just my technique being unaccustomed to a wider width ski? Would I get used to riding a 90mm on less than ideal conditions if I stick with it?

In answer to your question Arno, I do really enjoy a lot of the up, and a fair whack of trips (30-50%) will be just to access climbing venues, rather than specifically skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zarb, Nanook is basically the Mantra without metal in it, awesome core, build and none of the silly nonsense inserts a la Dynafit. The Nunataq is the Gotama without metal. The Mantra is probably the best all mountain ski made IMO, try them out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a set of Dyanfit Manaslu 178cm skis for sale with the specific Dynafit Speedskins if you are interested. These are in very good condition having only had about 8 days use in good snow conditions. Looking for £300 for the skis and skins. Your bindings would screw straight onto the inserts on the skis.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CH2O wrote:
zarb,....The Nunataq is the Gotama without metal.....

The Gotama doesn't have any metal in it's lay-up.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it does once the binding screws are in. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing to note about the dyna skis is that a lot of the lightness comes from simply reducing the physical material in the ski (pretty much), so thinner bases and edges with a consequence being they may not stand up to abuse, hits etc like beefier skis would. Not saying this should put you off but if they're intended to be a one ski do it all kinda setup then it's worth giving it some thought.

Bonus question, D.I.Y fo sho, just be careful not to strip the screw head (but even if you do it's not a huge deal). Depending on how well they were glued, you might need some big force to crack the bond and get em turning - if really stuck fast then stick a solder iron on top of the screw for a few seconds before trying again.

Stiffness underfoot of the ski is as important (if not more so) than ski width for icy terrain. I have 108mm girders and an old 80mm pair of noodles and the stiffies are MUCH MUCH better on the hard stuff
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
barry, Agree about Dynafit skis, hense the nod towards Voelkl, lightweight for the structure, feel there is nothing better available weigh vs construction.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CH2O wrote:
barry....Voelkl, lightweight for the structure, feel there is nothing better available weigh vs construction.

Agreed re a conventional construction but you can go far lighter/stronger if you're prefererred to pay the extra for a carbon hyrid or a full carbon construction from the likes of PM Gear or DPS etc. With these you get both full 'tourability' & top end downhill performance. And with binding inserts you can dual mount for both alpine & touring bindings.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, Spent most of the winter testing Carbon Hybrid skis, wasn't really impressed with any of the dampening, glad i've few fillings, direct comparison the same days with the Voelkl, 100% prefered them. Most common word used when trying the Carbon skis, "Doorlike". Binding inserts, QK and the like can be mounted on pretty much all, except the Dynafit (due to insert pattern) and alot of the super light "Hex" core skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zarb, over half my skiing is in the Scottish mountains which are rightly known for their 'variable' conditions and I've been happy using a 90 mm underfoot touring set up (with Tech bindings) for all my skiing for a while now. I was a bit curious as to why you wanted to choose between 'Broad Peak' & 'Seven Summit' skis though ?

Edit ... you were obviously thinking the same thing Barry.

barry wrote:
One thing to note about the dyna skis is that a lot of the lightness comes from simply reducing the physical material in the ski (pretty much), so thinner bases and edges with a consequence being they may not stand up to abuse, hits etc like beefier skis would. Not saying this should put you off but if they're intended to be a one ski do it all kinda setup then it's worth giving it some thought. (---SNIPPED---) Stiffness underfoot of the ski is as important (if not more so) than ski width for icy terrain. I have 108mm girders and an old 80mm pair of noodles and the stiffies are MUCH MUCH better on the hard stuff

CH20, if you mean any ski with a lot of carbon in the construction, I think you're wrong or you have a particularly sh1te dentist. It's certainly not my personal experience with the Scott Crusair (a 90 mm underfoot carbon touring specific ski) coupled with Dynafit TLT FT12's. They're comfortable enough to ski all day long on piste and stiff enough for steep skins, narrow side slips, hard traverses, neve, frozen sastrugi, hard pack and icy snow, have a small enough radius to noodle through rock fields and to make short, concise turns when turning too long is an unattractive option.

As I'm definitely not an expert skier and don't have the confidence to point & shoot stretches of gully with questionable snow surfaces, that stiffness was particularly welcome when siding into a few gullys this season that had 50-60 degree entrances. I would have sh@t myself if the skis had been flapping about.

I don't get what you mean about Dynafits & binding inserts though. I have Dynafits & Markers set up on my skis (fitted by spyderrjon which work very well. Half the holes are common & neither binding type is any harder to swap on/off than the other. Edit ... I got the wrong end of that stick as I think you probably meant Dynafit skis not Dynafit bindings. Embarassed

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 17-06-12 13:46; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, What you got/expecting for pmgear at the moment/next season. Curious about a couple of thos models
ski holidays
Moffat, reason for choosing between Broad Peak & Seven Summits, is that I am currently using Dynafit for all my other gear (TLT5 Mountain boots, and Vertical ST bindings), and am very happy with what I have seen from the brand so far.
The reason for those two particular skis was that based on advice from other people I have spoken to in person, recommend a <90mm waisted ski and a larger radius for a more forgiving ski in variable conditions. Always willing to be re-educated though Smile
latest report
zarb wrote:
Moffat, reason for choosing between Broad Peak & Seven Summits, is that I am currently using Dynafit for all my other gear (TLT5 Mountain boots, and Vertical ST bindings), and am very happy with what I have seen from the brand so far.
The reason for those two particular skis was that based on advice from other people I have spoken to in person, recommend a <90mm waisted ski and a larger radius for a more forgiving ski in variable conditions. Always willing to be re-educated though Smile

zarb, I get you ... it might pay to consider other options though. Guessing you're in NZ or Oz not the Alps so have similar requirements to here in Scotland, the Crusair might just do it. Cool

My own reasoning went like this. My old tourers (Dynastar Legend 8800's with Fritschis) had a too large radius for me (27m) and I wanted a one ski does it all to use with Scarpa S4 boots / Dynafit bindings that had similar noodleability to my old piste ski (K2 Apache Recon) with a bit more float so that the sharks below didn't keep biting core shots into the bases. As per my observations about the Scott Crusair (19m radius) in post above, I've not been at all disappointed. Little Angel
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
zarb wrote:

zarb, I get you ... it might pay to consider other options though. Guessing you're in NZ or Oz not the Alps so have similar requirements to here in Scotland, the Crusair might just do it. Cool

My own reasoning went like this. My old tourers (Dynastar Legend 8800's with Fritschis) had a too large radius for me (27m) and I wanted a one ski does it all to use with Scarpa S4 boots / Dynafit bindings that had similar noodleability to my old piste ski (K2 Apache Recon) with a bit more float so that the sharks below didn't keep biting core shots into the bases. As per my observations about the Scott Crusair (19m radius) in post above, I've not been at all disappointed. Little Angel

Yep, lovely mostly snowless Oz. Might have a snoop around at other options then. Thanks for the info!
snow report
CH20 which ones did you try as that's not my experience at all with both the PM Gear & DPS construction.

barry, I had a load of 12/13 carbon hybrid Llasa Pow's & Bro's arrive a couple of weeks ago but they've been flying out the door already. The only stock I've got left is:

1no pair of Llasa Pow's in the new 179cm girlie/lightweight bloke length
2no. pairs of Llasa Pow's 191cm
1no. pair of Llasa Pow's 196cm (on which I've given a guy has first refusal)
1no. pair of the new 187cm Bro Fat

All have the really neat clear top sheets showing the full width carbon construction underneath. I also did a tri Quiver Killer mount on a pair of 186cm Llasa's for NTN's, Dukes & Dynafits which was very Cool but I forgot to take a pic of them rolling eyes.

Production restarts in September until the end of January for which I'm taking orders for any PM Gear model for manufacture from then on a first come first served basis. Demand is always high so to obtain an early season delivery will require an order probably no later than the end of July.
ski holidays
No worries zarb and post some photos from Oz in the snow conditions won't you. There's at least another 5 months to go before I can ski again so it'd be good to see someone enjoying fresh snow. Meanwhile, it's pishing down with cool rain here again in yet another sorry excuse for a summer. Laughing
latest report
spyderjon, would be tempted on a hybrid Bro 192 as stiff as they come - that be orderable?? (would be QK'd with plums and ntn (possibly the ntn freedom, not sure about that one yet, annoyed they aint hole-compatible back to the current ntn "freeride" models))

moffatross, snaw on top of cairngorm to top station level this past monday Shocked . won't be long now Madeye-Smiley
snow report
barry wrote:
....would be tempted on a hybrid Bro 192 as stiff as they come - that be orderable??....

No problem.
ski holidays
Skied the Cruisair, lovely ski albeit the "carbon" isn't really a functioning part of the ski IMO. Skis we've been using are non production Ridea, skis trying to workout best build, structure and shape. Th e guys are actual Carbon engineers, making heli componants, now developing skis.
latest report
Thoughts on the Black Diamond Aspect for my requirements? Seems like a decent ski, and I can get a 176cm for cheap.
snow report
zarb, Pretty good skis too, on the whole.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy