Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow forecast for 2 Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
davidof, I think the problem was that those skiing down seemed to get priority over those who went down in the bubble. We got to the base station okay, but then queued for ages. On Sunday, there was a big queue for the bubble....so we gave up!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elizabeth B, Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, the little bubbly thing that goes on a track overground. Technically it too is a funicular, but that would have further confused the matter.
latest report
 brian
brian
Elizabeth B, confused me too. Do you mean the lift down from the restaurant to the funicular station ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, yup...that's the one snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, That's just a regular lift! A funicular has one going up and one going down at the same time. Very confusing I know - lots of people get out of it when they see it goes downhill 'cos they think it is the funicular. rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, definitions can get a bit vague, but I think the small incline between the resturant and funicular station is a funicular. It has a carriage running on rails and balanced on a cable by a counterweight (that runs under the track). It is thus similar to a lift as found in buildings however lift cars dont run on rails and are entirely hanging on the cables.
See : http://www.funimag.com/Funimag-PermanentSections.htm
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lampbus, That's because they're vertical - check out the lifts on the first section (legs) of the Eiffel Tower.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Charlotte,
Brace yourself for some world class pedantry-
A "funicular" is a cable railway, usually, but not neccessarily with 2 counterbalanced cars ( a one car system is still a funicular). If it runs on rails and uses a rope for its movement, then its a funicular. From the Latin "funis", meaning rope. If there's no rope, and the power source lives in the car, the adhesion is through rack and pinion driven off the car's axles, thats a "rack railway". The restaurant bubble thing is a funicular. The anorak is on, and the hood is up. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, NehNeh wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulmck, Well, as I know you're into trains I bow to your superior knowledge - the lift is a funicular but not THE funicular!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, today it's cleared up and I can see that there's been a decent fall down to 2,400m. I don't know how much higher up, but with the bit last week, this should all be helping for the early season. personally I should be please if we can ski everything down to 2,600 when we open. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Adding to my earlier post after walking down the town. The Super Diable looks almost skiable now ..... Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
Adding to my earlier post after walking down the town. The Super Diable looks almost skiable now ..... 8) 8) 8)

On our side of the mountains there is snow down to around 2100 meters - not enough to ski though. More snow coming.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Weather/Snow-Avalanche-Conditions
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, Looking good - pity that huge atlantic depression shot off to bother the UK though! Looks hopeful to me for the end of the week/weekend. Frost last night, and it was the first definitely chilly night since I've been back. Walking home at about 19.00 my ears were cold! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Snowforecast are predicting a decent dump for weds night to all elevations above 1650, with more forecast for the weekend. Midstation is looking like it may get somewhere in the region of 40cm on wed/thur!! All grist to the mill - looking forward to the super diable for early Dec Charlotte. Skullie
snow report
paulmck, Looking at the BBC weather website. It looks like a small front on Weds later, maybe Thursday but then a return to the high pressure. However the two monster lows up north look to be forcing the high away, so we may get some more at the weekend with a bit of luck. Blue skies are great, but at the moment we want SNOW! Lovely day again today BTW. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Snowforecast can be a bit over-ambitious with its prognostications, can't it? I'm sure the weather will break - I shall be tracking those monster lows!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very Interesting this site, especially when you consider last year was such a late start and a disastrous Christmas was only avoided with days to go!

http://snow.diarmuidc.net/webcams/Cervinia/Cervinia_2004_Nov.html

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-11-05 14:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Clearly we're disappointed that the hoped for snow hasn't arrived yet, but one good thing has happened today - THE SNOW CANNONS ARE WORKING! This is very good news. it was below freezing last night here in the town, and for the first time this year the nursery slope cannons are now spouting. Hopefully, if it stays reasonably cold, this will at least mean beginners won't have to trek higher up the mountain for their lessons. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, So nothing came last night then, no? Looked like a big dump on snow forecast. Bladdy liars! Snow cannons are good though - they're obviously confident of putting down a bit of a base in the village then. Not looking like a big storm this weekend, but steady light snow. What can you see in your crystal ball? Clouds? Blizzards? A tissue of lies from the weathermen?
ski holidays
paulmck, A tissue of lies from the weathermen! They've been testing all the cannons today, so hopefully they'll start running them whenever the temp is low enough from now on. The big cannons on the Valentin were going this pm. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
paulmck, A tissue of lies from the weathermen! They've been testing all the cannons today, so hopefully they'll start running them whenever the temp is low enough from now on. The big cannons on the Valentin were going this pm. :D :D

Zero iso at 3500 tomorrow (Friday) but there is a storm coming up from the Med on Saturday afternoon that may push as far north as the Oisans but not much further so you may have some snow to 2300m on Sunday. I'm in Bourg tomorrow but am taking my mountain bike and sun cream... may head down south next week though.
snow conditions
davidof, Thanks for that - fingers crossed. Still, from a selfish point of view, it still has 4 weeks to get itself together. 17 days to opening - a lot can happen in 17 days! easiski, powder down to Bons on opening day, you mark my words!! wink
ski holidays
paulmck, I wish - it'd be great to ski all those super powder runs before the rush! Cool
snow conditions
Good news Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy It was drizzling off and on all day yesterday and during the night, so this morning I can see snow down to about 1800m. It's just a dusting, but this is significantly lower than previous snowfalls. The forecast is for more dull and dirzzle for the next day or two, so .......... little by little. Very Happy snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy