Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot flex comparision

Poster: A snowHead
So its 'off season', and there appear to be some pretty good deals floating around on boots at present. I might well take the opportunity to change my Tecnica s to something new.

Are manufacturers flex ratings harmonised across the industry?

What is the flex rating for my current Tecnica Diablo maqgnesiums?

How good is The Atomic burner as an all mountain boot?

Am I better off keeping my existing shells and fitting new liners?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grabs popcorn. My 2p really don't change comfortable and functional boots unless there's an objective reason.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
trendier colours schemes??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do tend nowadays to be constantly tightening the buckles, not really sure if its cos' the liners are compressed, my feet are shrinking, or what ever..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
got to agree with ^^^^^ although that boot is getting on a bit (guess it depends on amount of usage)

and in answer to your question, nope they are all different

no real listed flex rating for the boot you have (somewhere around 110-120 ISH )

Burner is a great boot if it fits your foot

if the shell is in good order and the correct size then no reason not to just put in a liner, if using zip fit for example then they can be moved to a new shell when required
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm sure I have read from various sources that the test/rating is the same in all cases at the factory and that fit and shop temperature make them seem different.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CH2O, fit and temperature can and will make boots feel different, but although talk of standardized tests has been ongoing for years, as yet there is nothing in place, in fact often there is a difference between two different models in the same flex from the same brand
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, Seems very strange there is no reference point. I meen did one day somebody decide ah, we'll start with a max of 10 and work from that, then make it 100? It makes no sense at all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CH2O, a lot of it comes from manufacturers not wanting to tell each other what they are doing which is not surprising

there is a "standard" so to speak but all plastics are different and react differently, not only to temperature and fit but to the way the boot is engineered and how much of a certain durometer (plastic hardness) you inject into the mould..then of course you have pigmentation which changes the way the plastic reacts at different temperatures, then it comes to how the standard is interpreted as to the results, which is why they are all pretty similar but never identical
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also isn't it correct that the flex number doesn't necessarily encompass how progressive the flex might be?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobmcstuff wrote:
Also isn't it correct that the flex number doesn't necessarily encompass how progressive the flex might be?

that is purely down to how the boot is engineered
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

how much of a certain durometer (plastic hardness) you inject into the mould

that doesn't seem to make sense, however I think I understand what you mean, albeit I think you mean (surely! hehe) shore, durometer is the device used and shore being the scale.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CH2O, yep, we tend to talk in durometer rather than shore.. plastics Shore "D" rather than softer A, B or C, no idea why just seems to have evolved and is spoken of the wrong way round so to speak, yet i remember back to the late 90's when we talked "correctly" about Shore D plastics
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, the shore D scale has pretty much been replaced by the rockwell scale and sits more conveniently for the kind of values being used in the ski boot business.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CH2O, OT I know, but I'm most intrigued with the 'formaldehyde' name - are you in the biological preservation industry by any chance - museum curator maybe?
latest report
Megamum, Toofy Grin
latest report
The difficulty with a standard stiffness scale is what does it measure?

Does it measure the force required to initiate flex in the boot? Does it take into account the range of motion allowed by the flex? Does it deal with changes in stiffness throughout the range of flex?
snow conditions
feef, could add one to that that no boot manufacturer could control...... the range of motion of the ankle joint of the user.... somone with limited flexion at their ankle cannot bend a soft or stiff boot
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy