Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you have 5 minutes of your time!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey Snowheads snowHead

So I posted a while back about my questionnaire for my Masters thesis and I still need a few more responses!

If you could spare 5 minutes of your time it would be greatly appreciated and you could also be in with a chance of winning a £25 Snow + Rock voucher for your trouble!

Here's the link to it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dGJ1SWozTnhTb3haU0hHcmtNY1dqZmc6MQ#gid=0

Thanks in advance! Smile

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not really wintersports is it!
More an environmental travel questionnaire.
Still did it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think strictly speaking its a winter sports environmental travel questionnaire. We could all do with thinking about it, I imagine skiing is one of the most environmentally unfriendly activities, hauling all that crap up above the snow line and keeping us warm and fed up there...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ianbradders, Thanks for filling it in, the results will be used for a study to determine whether engagement in winter sports changes consumer behaviour and environmental opinions when compared to those who do not engage in such an activity.

The questions have therefore all been chosen very carefully to show specific results. Even though it may seem that they are not particularly relevant, I can assure you they are!

Thanks for filling them in and good luck with the prize draw! I'll post on Snowheads when the draw is made (should be in a week or two) Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
done
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snow_badger, Thanks!

Last chance to fill one in and be in with a chance to win a £25 Snow + Rock voucher!

Questionnaire will be closed at 12pm Thursday 14th June!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheesebob, If it's the same one I looked at recently it seemed to be relying on the typical middle class guilt and desire to do what "seems" to be the right thing rather than anything particularly interesting. If I was being cynical it looked like a market research exercise for businesses hoping to differentiate themselves by attaching a green label to their services. I hope you explain the results to us including how you adjust for the "middle class" factor in interpreting them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, I can assure you it is not market research, it is a study conducted for my Masters Dissertation in which the results will be compared to those of a control group. The aim of the study is to determine whether involvement in certain activities gives people an increased knowledge or participation in pro environmental behaviour (what you call 'middle class guilt' will be factored in the study and questions have been formulated in response to the results gained from the control group which has already been conducted and published)

I will freely post the results of the study once it has been completed and submitted in August if anyone would like see them. The fact that the questionnaire does not lead you to believe it is anything interesting does not mean that it is not an interesting or important piece of research (the formulation of such studies takes time and are designed to prevent 'loaded questions' from steering answers in specific directions). The topic of behaviour is heavily studied in academic literature (look at authors such as L. Whitmarsh, S. Barr) and the factors which influence behaviours among different groups is important to understand. The practical application of these studies is in government policy, business practices etc. However this is not how this research will be applied unless I am lucky enough to get it published in a peer reviewed journal.

You mention green labels. One issue we face is that more often than not green credentials are unfounded and there are no universal measures of 'green'. Research such as this furthers our understanding of what influences behaviour which allows us to assess the concept of 'green' more effectively. It is therefore a highly important area of study.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheesebob, Thanks. I would be interested in your results as I am generally interested in the area, although admittedly largely from a perspective of seeing how greenwash is applied in all sorts of business and political contexts as a general cover story for things that are otherwise expedient and the intrinsic conflict between what would be the greenest behaviour and the fact that our economy seems to depend on increasing consumption at every opportunity for its long term health.

We often have student requests here and only a few are polite enough to report back on their findings unfortunately.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 13-06-12 18:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:

We often have student requests here and only a few are polite enough to report back on their findings unfortunately.

Unfortunately this is sometimes because only a few are polite enough to respond to the questionnaire without giving the student a load of grief (I don't mean asking interesting questions, I mean saying "this was one of the worst questionnaires I've ever read", "I despair of today's education system" etc.)

Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
miranda, that's because students today think that 5 mins on survey monkey is all the research they need for a degree;-)

(cheesebob honourably excepted as he/she clearly seems to have passed the test of understanding a bit about scientific method)

To be fair the ones that come in for the most abuse are the ones about xxxtreme sports etc etc
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, I know what you mean, I'm not looking at it from that point of view but there a some people on my degree programme who are looking at similar issues! Did you leave your email address on the questionnaire for one of the last questions which asked if you'd like a copy of the results? If you didn't leave your email but you would still like a copy of them then PM me your email and I'll make a note to send you a copy!

miranda, Responses seem to have been largely positive (although there have been a few negative!)

I would like to say thanks again to everyone that has filled in a questionnaire, I have had more responses than I was originally hoping for! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

To be fair the ones that come in for the most abuse are the ones about xxxtreme sports etc etc

The ones that go....

I is doing a study for my BA and would <3 if you answer some qs plz

1) what level of skiier are you?
Rad
Not Rad
Don't Ski
2) How many times have you been injured?
0-100
100+
3) what was the severity?
ok
bad
4) woudl a helmet have reduced the severity?
yes
no
5) do you wear a helmet?
yes
no
6) do you ski fast?
yes
no

Conclusion: you are SUPER EXTREEEEEAMMMMM AND RADICAL!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy