Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do people with kids plan/book ski trips? - first year in school holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Going mad already and he doesn't even start school until September Mad

Usually go early March, good choice of accomodation and can get a good deal, now thats all about to change.

Can't book any time off work for 2013 until September by which time i'm sure Feb half term places will be sky high price wise and /or booked up! Can you get any good last minute deals for Feb half term or at Easter if you leave it until late or should I be booking in September as soon as I know what holiday I can get??

I'm thinking Easter might be better as hopefully it will be quieter, warmer, cheaper but we;ll need to look at somewhere high ish, DS turns 5 late March so not sure how much skiing he'll want to do so a bit warmer might be better as long as there is snow obviously!

How do people with kids plan/book ski trips??

Help!
rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
George06, well, for the last 7 years we've taken then out of school and gone mid-Jan when it's dirt cheap! Obviously this depends on a)whether your school will allow this and b)if you're happy to put up with micky taking here about wrecking your child's education wink

But otherwise I'd go with your Easter idea, is usually plenty of snow and warmer as you say.

Only other thing I'd suggest - book it early! Personally I think you need to get organised with kids early on and book lessons, the accommodation you want etc before it goes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Book flights for half term as soon as they are released to get a good price, they rise very quickly. Next year half terms are spread over 2 weeks for a change, the first week is far quieter and cheaper.

Easter is great I go then too. Flights can be expensive then too. I drive though, weather is better and it's not such a rush as they are off school for more than just the week.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
George06, When our kids were young we took them out of school in early march, nowadays we go at easter, normally book hotel a year in advance and self drive.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all,

I'd prefer to book early but not knowing what holiday I can take until September is going to scupper that!

I have no issues with taking him out of school but the school won't authorise it and as we both work covering 13 weeks of school holidays is going to be difficult enough without making this 14!

So those who go at Easter, where do you go? Have previously had several visits to the Dolomites and a few trips to Austria but have favoured going DIY last few years to Geneva and then in a catered chalet mainly in PDS (Morzine, Chatel, Les Gets, Chatel) and also Morillion and last year Meribel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
George06, Easter Ive done la tania with this company for 6 years when the kids were younger

http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/

Past 3 years have done Stuben,

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 8-06-12 21:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
George06, always worth checking if they really won't let you, or they say they won't! From experience the cost savings can pay for childcare in the summer!

But to answer the question, we have been to Vallandry for the last few years. Is a smaller family friendly resort, mainly self-catering, linked to Les Arcs so lots of skiing and is high so pretty snow sure. Again here there are arguments for and against as to how to get there, but with kids we drive and take a couple of days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If your child is under 5 they don't legally have to be at school - so in theory they don't actually need to have it authorised. But can see that you might prefer to comply for the sake of good relations with the school.

If you like the dolomites then one place which worked well for us with our youngest was San Cassiano with Mountain Sun - they do a childcare week in the Easter holidays, and with a big playroom downstairs there was plenty to keep the kids happy and allow us a bit of child free (or at least child out of sight and occupied!) time too.

Otherwise self drive with kids is easy and less hassle than airports (and if you pick the right resort almost as quick) - have a look at Samoens for one which is a really easy drive - motorway nearly all the way, and good value resort-run childcare which will tie in to lessons if you only want half days.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We asked school for permission to take our 10yo and 4yo out for a week in March this year. The 10yo was authorised, but the 4yo was not! But we took them both anyhow. Absolutely utterly no comeback.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Primary take them out. High school ouch ouch ouch.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
George06, you'll get something alright in september, but maybe not your first choice. It will be expensive either ways as places good for kids are often high in demand and won't be discounting jost cos you book early.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about the SH's half-term family bash??
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
George06 We went at Easter this year, booked just over a week before we went. Availability for the first week of the hols was poor but no problem in the 2nd week. Good childcare options were a priority for us though and this limited our choices in the first week. We went to Ardent (PDS) and had superb snow without going high, but we were lucky I think. It was a bit nerve-wracking leaving it late but I'd definitely do it again as we saved a lot on accommodation. Everything else was just as expensive though (lessons etc) so savings not as big as you might think. Passes, ski hire etc was much cheaper at easter than Feb, and virtually no queues.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Junior school there was never a problem taking my son out of school for a week's skiing. The school even encouraged it saying he would learn more in a week in France skiing than he would in a week in reception class.

After that it was always 10 - 12 days over Christmas and 10 - 12 days over Easter. And an odd weekend
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
George06, your options for Feb half term greatly increase if you drive. Personally I'd head for Austria or a less popular French place where there's less of a scrum and the apartment/hotel prices don't rocket just because it's half term like what TO prices do.

By the way, there are other half terms. Right now the conditions at glacier areas like Hintertux are great and there'll be virtually nobody there. I've also taken my lot to Hintertux in the October half term.
ski holidays
I only took the Chief Smilie Maker out of school once to ski. He was in yr 9 when I got stiffed by someone and left holding a spare ticket for a week in Wengen that I'd paid for.
I worked out this elaborate pitch to persuade his Head of Year of all the reasons it would be educationally beneficial for him to go to Switzerland for the week. On the phone though, I was only just getting into my flow when he went, "Yep, that's OK then" - I'd forgotten he was a PE teacher and so naturally recognised the value of skiing rolling eyes
As it was, the CSM went diligently round his teachers getting work to do while he was away... and diligently did most of it too - it took his maths class 2 weeks to catch up with him afterwards Laughing
ski holidays
I work in education and taking a 5 yr old out of school for 5 days in Jan or outside official hols is not going to be a disaster - if he/she had the flu /measles or all the other kiddie things that they all get no one would bat an eyelid so if all else fails pull a sickie... and enjoy paying 1/2 or better than you would have shelled out.
snow report
We went to AdH this Easter and had a great time. Personally I prefer Easter as it's 1) not as expensive 2) not as crowded. We've also done Heavenly and La Clusaz/Le Grand Bornand at Easter. I hope to do Easter next year as well funds permitting!
ski holidays
Quote:

I work in education and taking a 5 yr old out of school for 5 days in Jan or outside official hols is not going to be a disaster - if he/she had the flu /measles or all the other kiddie things that they all get no one would bat an eyelid so if all else fails pull a sickie... and enjoy paying 1/2 or better than you would have shelled out.

I am a primary teacher and totally agree with Briand6868 -make the most of it until Government make it illegal.
snow report
I've never done the Alps at half term with our kids: the prices have always been too stratospheric. If I'm honest, I guess that we're in the slightly fortunate position of actually being able to afford those prices, but paying over the odds for anything really sticks in the craw. The chalet in a £1,000 half term holiday that would have cost £600 in mid January doesn't suddenly get £400 nicer at half term; if anything, it gets worse as the whole resort will be overrun with desperate families.

In Europe, we've tried taking the kids out of school (only an option when they were younger); Christmas (great fun but lots of family aggro for being away during the festivities, chancy snow, short days and bitterly cold); and Easter (slushy afternoon snow, limited choice of high-altitude resorts). Neither Easter nor Christmas are great choices if you want to venture off piste. If I had to choose one, I'd go for Christmas as I like the cold; most people would prefer Easter.

But my preferred option, and very definitely the kids' preferred option, is to cross to North America. A DIY trip to Canada or the USA at half term will cost no more than (and often much less than) a package to the Alps in equivalent quality accommodation - the only time during the year when that's true. North American prices don't go up during our school holidays, and many resorts are still charging low season prices when our half term starts. The cost of indirect flights is also unaffected by the holiday period, although direct flight prices to Denver, Calgary and Vancouver will certainly be inflated on the two Saturdays.

One of the best things about going long haul is that you can fit in more skiing by being flexible. Grab a late homeward-bound flight and you can ski on your last day, making 7 days skiing possible in the half term break. And we always sneak in an extra day - usually the Friday as the school's own ski trip leaves that day so we can refer to that in our permission request to the school - so we get 8 days skiing with only one day of lost schooling. 33.3% more skiing can't be bad!
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, how / where do you find hols to US for same price as European package?? I have trawled airline and hotel websites and by the time you cover lift pass meals and everything else I can t find much change from 10 grand for 2 adults and 2 kids for 10 days. Flights have gone up substantially this year with oil prices and admittedly I only looked at major resorts like Whistler/ Vail / Aspen / breckenridge etc.(If I'm going all the way to NA want to go somwhere people have heard of).. I would love to go but it is way too much. Please tell me something you can construct for.a reasonable price!
snow report
We have never skied at half term (or any other school holiday) and take our two out for a week in January. We always ask for permission, in writing, and advise that we are happy to take any important reading/work with us and ensure it's done. We've never been refused the time off and the offer to do work has never been taken up. The schools have recognised that the children are rarely, if ever, off sick and any doctor/dentist appointments are arranged for outside school hours. Taking a barely (or not even) 5 year old out for a week shouldn't be considered a problem. As for weather etc in January, maybe we've been lucky, but we've had lots of gorgeous sunny blue-sky days and very few cold or snowy ones Very Happy
snow report
Schools seem happy enough to go on strike these days over pay and conditions and thus depriving my kids of education and costing me money to cover their strike days so I figure they can put up with me taking my two out for five days in January for what is a healthy and life enhancing holiday. I certainly don't worry too much about taking them out as the rest of the year we are very committed to their schooling. I actually think it should be outlawed to hike the prices so high during school holiday periods for everyone with or without kids.
ski holidays
patricksh wrote:
Jonny Jones, how / where do you find hols to US for same price as European package?? I have trawled airline and hotel websites and by the time you cover lift pass meals and everything else I can t find much change from 10 grand for 2 adults and 2 kids for 10 days. Flights have gone up substantially this year with oil prices and admittedly I only looked at major resorts like Whistler/ Vail / Aspen / breckenridge etc.(If I'm going all the way to NA want to go somwhere people have heard of).. I would love to go but it is way too much. Please tell me something you can construct for.a reasonable price!

I haven't priced up next year's trip, but here's the damage for a family of five at half term last year for 8 days skiing in Jackson Hole over half term. Flights: £2,772; hotel including cooked breakfast: £796; lift passes for 7 days (we went to Grand Targhee one day and I can't find the price): £726; stopover hotel in Chicago: £146. We also hired a full size SUV for £278 - an unnecessary luxury, as the accommodation included free transport to the slopes. Evening meals averaged no more than £10 each - say £400 in total. The only other cost was ski hire: we have our own skis and fitted them into our baggage allowance, and rental for the kids' skis was admittedly expensive at £360 in total. And lunches on the mountain were dirt cheap by European standards.

In summary, that's £878 each for travel, hotels, transfers and evening meals, the parts of the holiday that are typically included in a European package. Lift passes were £166 each pro-rata if I include the missing day when we went to Targhee. Ski rental was a further £120 where it applied. All this was for 8 days skiing - 33% more than a European trip would allow. Everything was booked online through mainstream operators: Expedia, Holiday Autos and American Ski Classics.

We didn't skimp on comfort. The hotel was spacious, the kids had their own very large room with no shared beds, and we had an indoor/outdoor swimming pool with hot tubs and sauna. Our car was both vast and absurdly luxurious. And the skiing in Jackson is extraordinarily high quality, provided you like the tough stuff.

I put these costs to a high street travel agent to if I could save some cash by going to a European resort. She laughed and told me to stop wasting her time.
snow conditions
At 5 years old i really wouldn't worry about taking kids out of school. In fact you must be an idiot not to. What are they going to miss at that age?

As for there later years.....well there is only ONE reason a school kicks off for taking out students for holidays. They will say its because they have your childs education at heart but its cowdoo.
If a school has low attendance figures then they fail their ofsted inspection. Its as simple as that.
My friend is a teacher and she told me this.

Take your kids out and go in the cheap weeks, we do.
snow conditions
Corduroy wrote:
Take your kids out and go in the cheap weeks, we do.
I completely agree with you. But when your kids start studying for GCSEs or A-Levels, a week of school matters. I wouldn't risk my kids slipping a grade in a borderline subject or two so that I could have the benefit of a cheaper holiday.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, I don't see many 5 year olds who are likely to be doing GSCEs or A-Levels....
snow conditions
Jonny Jones wrote:
Neither Easter nor Christmas are great choices if you want to venture off piste.

No idea where your going but I've had either good or great off piste for the past 11 Easters all in Europe!!

http://gregh.co.uk/albums/laplagne/bft0001_content1-2.htm

http://gregh.co.uk/albums/latania2005/pages/IMG_1982.html

An other Easter

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=61924566966&l=98de6249ae

2011 during one of the worst years on record at Easter

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150215482361967&l=2d36f27c44

This year
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150796921921967&l=35444fe032

On price your at £5478 for 8 days, I reckon on just over £3k for a week at Easter in austria inc all self drive, meals, drink, ski pass, ski school, ski hire for kids, 4* hotel with pool, sauna etc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
On price your at £5478 for 8 days, I reckon on just over £3k for a week at Easter in austria inc all self drive, meals, drink, ski pass, ski school, ski hire for kids, 4* hotel with pool, sauna etc

Completely. 100%. That's precisely what I said earlier. NA is cheaper than Europe at half term, not at Easter. But if you want off-piste in Europe, you also need to factor in the cost of a guide.

Maybe I'm wrong about European off-piste at Christmas and Easter, or maybe I've just been unlucky. But most seriously good (ie steep!) off-piste needs decent snow cover, and Christmas is just too early in the season for that to be reliable in most resorts. Many double blacks (loose NA equivalent of off-piste) don't open until February even in the snowy Rockies. And, especially on south-facing slopes, Easter can be a perfect time to catch the other off-piste nightmare... crud!

For me, perfect snow conditions arise when there's a really thick base to cover up all but the largest rocks and open up the steepest of the steep runs, and when the temperature is consistently below -8C to give perfect dust-like powder. Low humidity helps, too, to reduce the snow's water content. Call me spoiled or fussy or whatever, but, statistically, those particular stars align most commonly in February. I'm delighted that you've struck gold at other times of the year.
snow report
Jonny Jones, where I have found prices extortionate in NA is hotels, they seem to be closer to
$300 than $100 a day . Do you mind me asking what hotel that was and how far from slopes? Did you have to drive to slopes?
ski holidays
Hi George06,

You seem to have loads of advice already so I'll keep this short.

The most expensive weeks are half term (16/17th - 23/24th Feb) and New Year, followed by Christmas, Easter (30/31st March - 13/14th April) and the public school/some state schools this yr half term (10th - 17th Feb).

So, my best advice would be to sit down with your child's holiday dates and see if you have any weeks available outside these dates. This year the pre-Christmas week (15/16th Dec - 22/23rd Dec), last week in March ( 23/24 - 30/31st March) and the later Easter week (6/7-13/14th April) seem to be available in some schools and if you have one of these off this will be your cheapest option, and will still have plenty of availability in September when you confirm your holidays.

Last minute booking works well if you are a couple but I wouldn't recommend it on a peak week with young children as ski schools, childcare, ski hire etc gets booked up early too.

Happy planning!
latest report
Go at Easter. Don't even think about Feb half term. Too busy, and too expensive. You'll have a much better time later. Your 5 year old will not want to ski all day, so find a family specialist unless you or ANother adult likes making snowmen/watching child sleep! High is good, but high altitude can be hard for little ones to cope with. Somewhere about 1600 - 2000m base level skiing ideal.
Or if you can't wait till then, Christmas...but it can be damn cold and your wider family may not like it.....!
snow conditions
patricksh wrote:
Jonny Jones, where I have found prices extortionate in NA is hotels, they seem to be closer to
$300 than $100 a day . Do you mind me asking what hotel that was and how far from slopes? Did you have to drive to slopes?
That was the Lodge at Jackson Hole, booked through American Ski Classics. Other operators such as Ski Independence have similar deals, but, typically for North America, it's more expensive to book directly with the hotel. Several other decent hotels in Jackson are a similar price, as winter is low season there.

We had to drive to the slopes (we could also have taken the hotel's free shuttle bus or used public transport), but we prefer to stay in Jackson town rather than on the hill as it's a great town with real character and atmosphere. Slopeside hotels are extortionate for a family, but condos on the mountain are much more sensibly priced. But we just preferred a hotel in town and, happily, that was also the cheapest option for us.
ski holidays
Easter is early in 2013 so I'd book that week. Whilst it wouldn't matter much for your child if they missed a week of school in Jan aged 5 they are more likely to get colds/temps ear ache etc when the weather is coldest.

If your son likes swimming you could look at luxury apartments with pools so that you have an alternative afternoon activity. Some resorts offer ski school plus childcare options if you don't think your son will want to ski all day.

We've skied in France in late March/early April 3 times in the last 5 years and had fresh snow falls each time. Luckily we skiied in January in 2011!
snow report
In Serre Chevalier last year we had better snow conditions at Easter than in February; as above Easter is early in the 2013 winter season, it probably won't overlap the French Easter holidays and some major French agencies here don't put prices up at that time of year. Plus there aren't as many 'crazies' on the pistes.

I'm not saying the conditions are reliably better at Easter compared with Feb or course.

September isn't all that late to plan a trip for Easter but is borderline for booking a nice place in February. In any case more and more people are leaving their reservations to the last minute, monitoring snow levels etc.

If you choose Feb you may consider driving? We see that driving to resort from the UK is becoming more popular at half term due to the high cost of flights.

Good luck.
snow conditions
Thanks for all your advice, thinking Easter is going to be the way forward for us.

Will start looking at options so we have a good idea of where we want to go now and get it sorted once our holidays are confirmed.
latest report
George06, check your half term dates as they are different around the country. We are booked for the 10th Feb but TO's official half term prices are for the week of the 17th, and whilst not a bargain it is not as bad as the following week.

Also as for taking them out of school agree with most of the points above except around 'pulling a sicky'. Whilst there are obviously reasons that teachers or heads don't like you taking them out of school, not being honest about it is not the way to do it. You/they will get found out. Just because the school wont approve/authorise it doesn't mean you can't do it.
snow report
Realisticaly if your child misses a week of school it isn't going to do them any harm. We take our son out every year with the permission of the head who we're on decent terms with. His reply one year was "he'll get more of a life experience on a mountain than he will in a clasroom, at his age I wouldn't think twice"

So...

We go for a forrtnight around feb half term taking one week one side and one week holiday time, usually we drive out for that length of time as its cheaper in the long run.

Look at ownersdirect.com and any internet letting site, find an appartment where you fancy skiing and book it. (we used homelidays.com last season)

Book the chunnel/ ferry from the south and book a cheap mid stop hotel.

Look at the drive down as being part of the holiday, buy your kids an in-car dvd player and make the back of the car as comfy and clutter free as you can. Expect mess and don't worry about it, if you're annoyed at the kids then they get grumpy and you'll be grumpy.

I love driving over, listen to music the kids like, change it, have a few stops and a picnic on the way. Dont try to do it one solid run as you'll be cranky and end up attempting to drive like the majority of drivers leaving Calais on a saturday morning, like a prick on speed.

We try and coordinate our mid way overnight with a town we know has a supermarket so we can stock up on goodies and beer in the french or Italain valley saving you £'s in resort.

Stock up on goodies on the way back.
ski holidays
For some 10 years we have gone the week before Christmas or the first week of Jan ( kids currently 17 and 10 ). We used to get 4 in a room deals with Crystal etc which for those weeks were very cheap . More recently we have gone with teh independent chalet companies.

Advantages ; empty pistes - cheaper lift passes - very few kids in ski school - empty roads when we have driven - easy to get lunch on the pistes - overall cost .

Disadvantages ; sometimes - esp in high resorts like Tignes - it has been very cold - but the ski schools tend to move the kids around the mountain following the sun, and you just need to make sure kids have hand warmers and regular hot choc stops - occiasionally the snow has not been extensive ( green fileds until the day before arrival one year in Flaine ).

This has meant taking an extra day or so hols and for this year one week for one as school hols do not coincide. The lack of daylight has never been a problem as after being on the slopes since 09.00 finishing around 4.30 is no problem for us . The kids were always worn out notwithstanding being on the last lift whenever possible.

I would also agree with Peisey-Vallandry as being a great family resort.
ski holidays
Quote:

buy your kids an in-car dvd player

But not a good idea if your kids are car sick in my experience!

Audio books work well - can recite Harry Potter word for word now

Quote:

Look at the drive down as being part of the holiday

Yep agree with that - we take our time on way down and stop in Calais and north of Lyon. Means we can shop in Albertville and be in Vallandry by lunch. Pick up skis and passes and be in apartment by 4 Cool

We do motor home in one hit though - 14 hours door to door but means Sunday at home to chill before back to work etc
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy