Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

7 day liftpass? That'll be $553 please.

Poster: A snowHead
A lot of American's like very flat pistes and want ice broken up. This is very flattering to ski on but if you get too used to it, Europe will come at a shock. Having said that the Americans I've met have totally bought into European skiing and love places like Chamonix and Engelberg. They have been V good skiers as well.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
7 days for $553 U.S.? I get a seasons pass to Whistler for $359 CAD snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied in Zermatt last year with two Americans, they were excellent skiers, and really good fun to ski with. They seemed to enjoy the occassional bump as well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh, isn't that a *grooming generalisation*?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
7 day lift pass for $553 thats €460 Shocked You can ski for 30 days in The Arlberg for €474 or pay another 174 and ski for the season ( 5 months) Very Happy

http://www.arlberg.net/skiarlberg.at/skigebiet/e/tarife_e.html

Presumably the prices at the Vail ticket office are alot more Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ahhhhh .........

... to infinity and beyond.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, [quote]

Stop the Brutal Grooming Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would say that the majority of skiers prefer nicely groomed piste. We are not all international class mogul/powder/bump/hike/iceberg/icecube/ice lolly skiers. Some of us like smooth, unchallenging and predictable conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Some of us like smooth, unchallenging and predictable conditions.

This is why theres far more serious accidents on-piste , primarily caused by speed.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, Surely there can be no more a serious accident than death. I dont know the figures but surely there are far more deaths on un-pisted territory and as a percentage of skiers that ski on or off piste then the proportion must be even higher.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Surely there can be no more a serious accident than death
No? (Well, I'm just waiting for one of the "usual suspects" to argue that one Laughing Laughing Laughing)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="stanton"]David Goldsmith,
Quote:

Rising oil and energy prices will do that, perhaps fairly soon. Here's an interesting suggestion, that people will have to pay more to ski on groomed runs, and also more to ski on runs where snowmaking (also very energy-intensive) has been used.
http://forums.epicski.com/showpost.php?p=342936&postcount=214
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
stanton, Surely there can be no more a serious accident than death. I dont know the figures but surely there are far more deaths on un-pisted territory and as a percentage of skiers that ski on or off piste then the proportion must be even higher.

Colorado skier fatality statistics are here - www.cdphe.state.co.us/hs/Briefs/recdths.pdf - scroll down to Page 3.
by far the greatest cause is collisions with objects (trees) or other skiers - 61% - I would guess that a high proportion of those are at the edge of groomed, tree-lined runs.
Avalanche deaths only 11% - presumably that includes all "out-of-bounds" avy fatalities.
I realise that stats in the Alps would be very different, because of fewer tree-lined runs (lower timberline) and less avalanche-securing of non-groomed areas. Nevertheless, there probably would be a similar danger of collisions between skiers. I think there is a degree of validity in Stanton's claim that groomed pistes are more dangerous places than most people realise.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT wrote:
A lot of American's like very flat pistes and want ice broken up. This is very flattering to ski on but if you get too used to it, Europe will come at a shock. Having said that the Americans I've met have totally bought into European skiing and love places like Chamonix and Engelberg. They have been V good skiers as well.

Tough to generalise for the whole nation; Coloradans or Vermonters probably ski more like Austrians or Swiss, Texans or Floridians probably ski more like Brits. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think there is a degree of validity in Stanton's claim that groomed pistes are more dangerous places than most people realise.

I can see where you're coming from, particularly when you think of the average blue home runs in big resorts such as St Anton, Verbier and Meribel, which some will use as a racecourse and others to learn on. I have been with a number of friends who have nearly been taken out by other skiers at piste intersections (do we need traffic lights at some of these resorts??!) Conversely, in my (albeit limited) experience, black pistes tend to be ungroomed as well as steeper, thus attracting fewer people and dare I say it making them safer to ski?
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I don't mean after 8 hours - if a run is pisted, then left to be skiied on for several days, then it may well turn into a mogul field. Can you then say the run is pisted?
At what point is it no longer considered a prepared piste?

I don't think there is an agreed international definition of what a pisted ski run is, but my definition would be a ski run which has flattened snow and is largely free of regularly or irregularly spaced bumps. If that is accepted as the definition of a pisted run there is no way that Vail can claim the most amount of prepared piste in the world.

To be fair to Vail, I would imagine they used the word "groomed" - in North America, this is generally taken to mean "freshly groomed overnight". So perfect corduroy. How quickly groomed runs deteriorate obviously depends on 3 factors - softness of the snow, amount of traffic, and steepness of the gradient.
Incidentally, I think I saw the same claim "most groomed terrain on the planet" on a sign at the base of the gondola in Whistler last season. There are many different ways of measuring these "greatest" claims, and they all usually find a home in marketing-land!
latest report
To come once again to the defence of much-maligned Vail (whom I now no longer work for, by the way), British skiers can get a lower lift ticket price than the one claimed at the beginning of this thread - by booking lift tickets through their tour operator.
snow conditions
In that case it's high time we offered Americans reduced prices at our (groomed bristled) artificial ski slopes.
ski holidays
Martin Bell, that does beg the question, that if they can offer a lower price to the TOs, then why don't they offer that price to everyone. Is there a policy to put independent travellers off?
snow conditions
Kramer, no, it's probably more that most independent travellers are rich New York bankers who don't think twice about paying that sort of money. Different prices are aimed at different markets. (No different to what airlines have been doing for years.) Similarly to the Whistler season pass mentioned at the top of this page, there are some very good season pass prices offered by Vail Resorts to Denver-area skiers. And local businesses in the Vail Valley get a very good offer, so long as their employees attend VR's customer service workshops - nicknamed "smile school"!
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Very Happy
Free skin graft operation thrown in with every purchase!
snow report
Martin Bell, I see your point, but it does whiff somewhat of a rip off.
ski holidays
Kramer, more like just free-market capitalism in action. Vail Resorts is a publicly-quoted company, and the share-holders demand maximum profits. So that means charging "whatever the market will stand". And there are a lot of rich Americans who don't care about how much they pay for lift tickets (or private lessons, for that matter...)
ski holidays
Although charging maximum prices doesn't necessarily mean maximum profits...
snow report
Kramer, only a fool (and a rich one) pays the window price (so I was told by several people out there). When I was there in March, I think I only paid full price on one day, apart from that, it was closer to half price each day.
ski holidays
How did you get cheaper prices Foxy?
ski holidays
Kramer, I got them through friends, but you can also buy down in Denver at the bigger shops - places like Gart Sports tend to do discount tix.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, this is getting onto similar territory to that MtBakerSkier mammoth thread on Epic. I suppose we should be thankful for those "rich fools" as they help subsidise the experience for the savvier shoppers like yourself and the freeloaders like me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, I believe once you have got around the "Buddy Pass" problem (that you have to be physically present in Denver in October to buy it) the first year, you can then renew in subsequent years online.Wear The Fox Hat, presumably your friends helped out in that respect?
snow conditions
ponder wrote:
7 days for $553 U.S.? I get a seasons pass to Whistler for $359 CAD snowHead

I take it you'll be getting the student rate then? Add about CA$1000 for what mine just cost me! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Martin Bell, Breck season pass holders are very useful friends to have...
latest report
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" - and if Canadian/American lift tickets are expensive that's fine by me, better than some crappy european resort with an overcrowded hill and mardy "campers".
latest report
Alexandra,

Thats fighting talk..!! Where have you been in europe that is as you say 'some crappy european resort'
And what is a mardy camper?
snow conditions
JT, I just Googled it with no luck.

Martin Bell wrote:
Quote:

I think there is a degree of validity in Stanton's claim that groomed pistes are more dangerous places than most people realise.

Can't disagree with that. We ski with kids and this year our grouped picked a resort based on the quietness of the resort
snow report
stuarth, yeah, the normal price on a pass is pretty steep, around $1500. Whistler offers $359 passes through a bunch of BC universities, but only to students at said BC universities Crying or Very sad Still, it's great for me snowHead
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,

Maybe Alexandra will enlighten us
snow report
JT, Perhaps its somethng to do with Masque's new mobile turbo lurve shack
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

Might get to see that at the PSB, I'll tell you if it is 'mardy'...!!!
snow conditions
JT - haha not looking for a fight thanks... anyway I'd wipe the floor with ya! Very Happy

I've only been to Europe a few times, Lenzeheide (? Switzerland), Cervinia and Zermatt.

"Mardy campers" = people who go on package holidays*.

*Yes, I'm aware what that says about me.
snow report
Take out the Groomed Slopes and people will learn to ski within there own ability, in control on all conditions & become far better & safer skiers.

Hopefully also reduce the crowds in resorts as well.

Once the groomers have gone we can then concentrate on removing the lifts & get back to hiking up wink

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy