Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been waxing, sharpening and repairing my own own skis for the last few years and been happy with the results.

But, I think it's now time to get them done more professionally.

I've heard of getting them resurfaced, which I think is done by a machine?

Also, as the skis are a few years old, I'd liked to get the bindings checked.
I don't have any specific concerns about the bindings, I'd just like some reassurance that they're working fine and safe.

Can anyone recommend a ski shop/service in the Swindon or Oxford areas?

Thanks,

Rich
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you mean a base grind.

Check out: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2038095&highlight=#2038095
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon,

Thanks for that - sounds like good advice on that thread. However, my skis have probably done about 20-25 weeks, and I think a base grind is needed. I would have taken them to my local Swindon ski shop - Westsports - but that closed down this year Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Next time you go to resort take to shop with big grinder, will put race finish on if speed is needed and will be ready next morning usually about 40euro.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jumpin Jack wrote:
.....my skis have probably done about 20-25 weeks, and I think a base grind is needed.....(

Yep, with that mileage I'd agree. Sorry but I don't know of anyone in your area.

I disagree with Cynic about getting a grind done in resort as you need time after a grind to properly prep the base & it's something you can do very easily yourself - & the summer months are a good time to do it. Just get the shop to grind 'em & reset the base edges & then do the side edges yourself.

Hot scrape clean to start with to remove the dirt in the base & any emulsifying fluid which is used as a lubricant during the grind. Following with a few wax/cool/scrape cycles with a soft wax, all with plenty of tip to tail brass brushing in between. Leave the last application on the ski for storage which you can scrape off/brush prior to your next trip. Then wax/cool/scrape/brush with your skiing wax & you're good to go.

A regular/resort shop won't do the cleaning/base prep cycles & as you've got the kit & the time you'll get a far better job doing it yourself.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, Sorry I hadn't realised he was going to do the ET with them. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy