Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L1 Hemel 13 -17 August - Passed and Progress

Poster: A snowHead
Colin B, wow, that's doubled in price since I did one a few years ago. I'm sure I paid less than £100.

Alex Leaf (BASI Trainer) also does suitable 1st Aid courses, more info at www.worldclasstraining.co.uk
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Yes he was one of the trainers at Hemel when she took her L1 and was running a 1st Aid course at the weekend straight after. She was too knackered after the course though, plus we'd been staying away most of the week. I'll take a look at his dates too, I think he was slightly cheaper than BASP.

MK is better than Hemel for me as it's easier to get to and back daily.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another 2 hours this morning, it was almost as cold at Tallington as the Alps. She's hoping to get about 12 further hours in Thursday/Friday next week as it's half term. That will be about half way. I'm going to book 1st Aid this weekend, BASP in a couple of weeks at MK.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
She got 10 more hours in yesterday/today so making some headway now. "Interesting" lessons though as they were for local schools with 2 hour beginner lessons as part of a wider adventure day. Unruly, disinterested teens, about her age, not ideal though.

BASP 1st Aid at MK next weekend.

I've got to keep myself occupied in MK for a whole weekend Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Unruly, disinterested teens not ideal though

but very typical of the client base for L1's working with school groups !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, Yes I think Tallington does quite a lot of that type of business as they also do water sports, climbing wall and a few other things. She did well persevering for 5 hours each day tbh.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B, reminds me of my first day "shadowing" i meet the instructor and up rocks 30 kids on a coach, he says we will each take half and I never saw him again for the 6 weeks of evening sessions... so much for on the job learning!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, She'll be back to just Saturday mornings now. It has been mainly small children but I guess they'll start getting a bit busier with group lessons as winter approaches. Aim is to get everything completed by Christmas which is doable.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, appears to be the norm for shadowing,..."you take that half!" My first experience was similar...the age range in my half was 4 - 15, was interesting trying to keep it fun for everyone!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gatecrasher, to be fair that was a while back.. The shadowing at Hemel for instance is done real well as they have a lot of instructors on staff and they are very supportive, mine was on a small dry slope who were looking for cheap (free) labour..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Natalie hasn't had that at all. Up to this week it's all been private lessons. It was challenging enough today for the older male experienced instructors, a slight inexperienced 16 year old girl would have really struggled I think.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, I think it also depends on the time you can do your shadowing, i.e. Saturday morning you'll get groups of kids which can be "all hands to the pumps" but if you are able to do some midweek daytime hours you can shadow one to one which gives more time to learn different ways different instructors go about things, I reckon both should be attended for the full experience.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As she wasn't well last weekend we've now got 1st Aid next weekend at Hemel. Got a further 3 hours shadowing in today, just over half way towards 35 hours now.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1st Aid achieved as per last post. However due to other priorities (AS level exams/Christmas/Dance Show in London/new boyfriend) no more shadowing since. Last exam is Friday so the plan is to go down to the dry slope Saturday morning. I'm expecting a severe lack of enthusiasm given the weather forecast Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Last exam is Friday so the plan is to go down to the dry slope Saturday morning. I'm expecting a severe lack of enthusiasm given the weather forecast

Are you sure you are in the rights job?
latest report
Cynic, Standing at the bottom of a dry slope when it's -3C is nowhere near as appealing as the real thing. I'll be transport and trying to keep warm with coffee watching from the bottom.
ski holidays
Claude B, But it is there all year round; buy big coaches coat and join in bellowing helpfull hints like bend the knees
latest report
Having actually read some of the post I see you may be at Tallington? I worked there a long time ago for a short time, you have my sympathies as I remember the wind whips across the flats and personally I could never find the place, having never gone or come back the same way more than once. Well done for your charges L1 and I hope they have put the wages up.

Does Brian the BASI4 was 1 still take the training with his Mambo turns
latest report
Cynic, Yes it's Tallington. She's only been going there since she passed her course to do her shadowing so no money has changed hands. 3 young lads do most of the training, there is one older guy about occasionally not sure if he's Brian. I don't live far away so it's pretty straightforward for me.
snow conditions
There was too much snow around to get there last weekend but she's really made up for it today with 7 hours shadowing a "learn to ski in a day" session. She really enjoyed it and enjoyed working with the instructor who was older and more experienced. 10 more hours to go, should get 5 at least next Sunday.
snow report
Another couple of hours today, just 8 to go now. She also did a full one on one session on her own. It was a husband and wife on a 1 hour private lesson and they were quite different abilities so Natalie and the guy she was shadowing took one each. She quite enjoyed it I think. It will be the end of their busy period by the time she gets everything done but she should get some fairly regular work there next winter.
latest report
Claude B, I take it Natalie will be doing more shadowing hours above & beyond the requirement?
snow report
gatecrasher, Yes I think she realised today that she wouldn't really have known how to take the guys skiing to the next level. She'll probably only have 5 or 6 more weekends this winter though as the local dry slope will quieten right down after that. She'll also be back into A level exams too.
ski holidays
Claude B, Good stuff, the more shadowing she can get in before she is out on her own the better, it's really good to shadow as many instructors as possible, she will be able to take from it what works and possibly what clearly doesn't, ultimately she will have her own take on things too, get her involved in instructor training sessions when she can also, a lot to fit in at that age I know but worth doing if at all possible. Some people I know have probably doubled their hours before starting to teach alone, but are better for it imho.
snow conditions
Last 3 of the required 35 shadowing hours done today and log sent off to BASI. It's taken since October with A levels and other things going on. Just CRB check and child protection module to do and she'll have her L1 license. A half promise of some work in the summer at Tallington, they haven't got any female instructors and are quite keen.
latest report
Grrrr!! This morning in L2A.

L2A Easter 2013
snow conditions
Claude B, Well done Nats Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Claude B, Lovely Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Disclosure check done and (extremely tedious) child protection module completed. I just need to ring up and pay the £20 upgrade now.

With A level studies and other things going on it's taken 8 months since she did the course. I know people who've done it in a few weeks but they didn't have other priorities.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy