Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L1 Hemel 13 -17 August - Passed and Progress

Poster: A snowHead
Colin B, congratulations to Natalie! Very Happy She does ski beautifully.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pedantica, Thanks! Even more so by the end of the week I think!

scooby_simon
,Yes good prep for even greater expense Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B wrote:
Pedantica, Thanks! Even more so by the end of the week I think!

scooby_simon
,Yes good prep for even greater expense Shocked

Yep; trying to work out a way of finacing my L3 alpine; L1 Snowboard; L1 Telemark; L2 Adaptive and L2 development coach.

And my son wants a L1 alpine for his 16th birthday...........

He's 11. Shocked Laughing Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well you have 5 years to get his skiing way above standard... then he will only need to do the rest... and then he should be able to do a L2 pretty quickly Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger wrote:
Well you have 5 years to get his skiing way above standard... then he will only need to do the rest... and then he should be able to do a L2 pretty quickly Very Happy

He could pass his L1 now! He'd have a good chance at level 2.... It's going to get expensive! Told him he needs to start saving for his 2 Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scooby_simon, So your not going for your nordic L1 Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
scooby_simon, So your not going for your nordic L1 Wink

LOL; Well; maybe when the knees will no longer let me ski!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B wrote:
Daren't add up the bills for the week, close to 4 figures I think Shocked
Congratulations to Natalie. Very Happy
But why so much? JoshQ has just signed up for the course at Hemel in 2 weeks, cost £505. Are there lots of hidden extras I don't know about?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RachelQ, Thanks. I think there's BASI membership on top of that, £45. We also stayed down there for 4 nights as Peterborough is about 85 miles away. Glad we did as they started at 9 after the first day and continued to at least 5.30. Plus meals, running around, etc.

Good luck to JoshQ, sure he won't need luck though..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, congratulations to you, too; devoted dad effort! She's a lucky girl. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, many congrats to Natalie. You must be so proud, really pleased for you Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't forget to add the CRB check and the outdoor first-aid course.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Colin B, we're lucky we live reasonably close by then, especially since Josh is funding this himself. Well, except for free board and lodging, and use of car, and fuel, tax etc!! .....Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
for L1 costs you also need to include:

1. Safeguarding Children Course - Online - £25
2. A first aid course - mine was £99 with interski
3. getting to/from the location you do your 35 hours shadowing at
4. CRB check - I already had this, not sure of current costs..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are there any specific requirements for the first-aid course? I'm doing one with BASP soon and wondered if that would be relevant.
snow conditions
feef, It just has to be a 2 day course I believe. The BASP one seems to be one of the favourites, I'll be booking my daughter on it in the autumn.

She'll have to do the CRB check too, a bit bizarre as she's only 16 herself. We're going along to Tallington dry slope which is really local to us at the weekend to start to arrange some shadowing. They aren't very busy though atm. A day or so at Hemel maybe too.
ski holidays
feef, it depends on which course, the 2 day Outdoor Emergency First Aid makes the grade.
latest report
feef, http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-first-aid-course.aspx
ski holidays
Probably not relevant to the 16 year old in question unless she's already employed but for others you might find your employer is looking for people to be a first-aider at work and will pay for you to go on a course that you can also use for your ski instructing.

For the shadowing hours, as you have a dry slope nearby that will definitely help. Ask them if they have an isntructor training program, and if she can get work there once qualified. Many local dryslope clubs use SSE rather than BASI for training new instructors but that shouldn't be a problem. They have different emphases but are broadly similar.
latest report
kieranm, I did speak to them last year when she first got interested and there is the possibility of some work there, probably not until next year now though, we'll find out more when we go to see the guy who runs their courses. She hasn't actually skied on a dry slope yet Shocked Which slope do you use, I see you aren't too far away?
ski holidays
Well done Natalie, I hope the GCSE's go just as well.....doesn't time go fast! James has 15 months or so before he's 16 but also has aspirations in this direction.

Good luck to JoshQ too!
ski holidays
Colin B, have a look at http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/find or local slopes
snow report
Colin B, anarchicsaltire, kitenski, Thanks. it's that very 2-day course I'm doing.
snow report
Annie, Thanks. It seems a long time ago when we skied together in L2A, 2008 perhaps, she was 12 then. I guess James will probably have to wait another 2 years, summer courses are the only ones feasible when they are still at school.
snow report
Popped along to Tallington Dry Slope yesterday morning to see about shadowing. They're pretty quiet atm with just one instructor working so she won't get many hours in until things get busier about October time. She's going to have an hour skiing there in the next couple of weeks as she hasn't actually skied on a dry slope.
snow conditions
JoshQ passed! I'm away sailing in Greece right now but just spoke to him. He said it was very hard at times and not everyone passed. So proud! Smile
snow conditions
RachelQ, excellent news. I saw Josh on Thursday and he looked like he was having a lot of fun. Never saw him without a big smile!
snow report
RachelQ, fantastic, many congratulations to him! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Pedantica, fantastic isn't it?! It's been his dream forever Smile
latest report
RachelQ wrote:
rob@rar, Pedantica, fantastic isn't it?! It's been his dream forever Smile
That's brilliant. Onwards and upwards then, if he wants to go to L2.
snow report
RachelQ, Well done to Josh Happy
ski holidays
Went along to Tallington this morning as Natalie is going to be doing some shadowing there and had never skied on a dry slope before.

Tallington

and trying out some snow plough turns

Tallington

Going back next Saturday to shadow a couple of lessons.
ski holidays
2 day first aid courses from st johns ambulance are good value. Think my last one was 50-60. It isn't mountain specific of course but its a lot cheaper than BASP.
ski holidays
Took Natalie to Tallington again this morning. She's now got her first 2 hours of shadowing lessons under her belt. Right mixed bag, an adult first timer, a 6 year old who could ski quite well and a 2 (yes 2) year old! Possibility of some work too once she's done her 35 hours and first aid course. I think I'm going to be spending a fair bit of time there over the next few months, might have to try a few turns myself!

skir67, Where's that please? Looking on their website they look quite expensive.
snow report
Went to Tallington to shadow a couple of lessons again yesterday, it could take forever at this rate. Half term starting next Saturday looks promising. If she has the stamina for 2 full days she could get to 20+ hours. I intend to sort out first aid next week so that she has that by Christmas.
snow conditions
Colin B, interski are running a first aid course tues/we'd next week that has places. I believe their nov course is full.
latest report
kitenski, I saw that, trouble is she's at school so it needs be a weekend course, Mansfield is a bit of a trek from here too. It will either be BASP at MK or one that someone is trying to drum up support for on the Facebook Ski Club page.
ski holidays
Colin B, ah ok, some are on half term next week.....
ski holidays
Colin B, have you looked at your local St John Ambulance branch? Their 2-day activity 1st aid course is suitable, albeit dull as ditchwater if the one I did is typical.
ski holidays
rob@rar, It's very expensive, £192.00 (inc VAT). MK too so same as BASP (£130). If this one off Facebook doesn't get sorted this week I'll book the BASP one as there aren't any more scheduled for MK.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy