Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is my Skiing Level VIDEO

Poster: A snowHead
What do trolls eat? Billy goats?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, rob@rar, just watched the lot and they look great. Just a teeny few suggestions/corrections:

1. Each of the astons could do with being about 2-3 seconds longer in every video.

2. Levels 8 and 9 refer to 'an' Level 1 Instructor but should be 'a'.

3. Consider changing wording to be either entirely in the 1st or entirely in the 3rd person rather than mixing between the two - or if you're going to have the two styles, consider changing the text colour and font of the 3rd person wording; so as if 'said' by an instructor. (or the other way around)

4. Sound: I haven't read the full thread of feedback but glanced some comments about voice-over, which I understand you may add at some point in the future. In the meantime, perhaps consider muting the original audio and laying in 'bed' music that has an appropriate beat to complement the pace/rhythm of each level.

That's all from me. Good luck and see you at Hemel again soon Very Happy

EDIT: typo per below

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 13-06-12 14:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flowa, As a skier clearly with an eye to detail, you would perhaps wish me to point out , in item 4, it's complement, rather than spelling it with an i . All in the nicest possible way.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Farley Goode, I am complimented by your attention to my detail Blush
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
compliment vs complement? sheesh I never knew. I wonder how many times I have got that one the wrong way round.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I love the videos, and they give good examples, including aspirational ...

also, happy to see that while I thought I was a solid 6, I seem to me more of a 7 - woo hoo! something to work towards next season ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flowa, good comments thanks

have made a few amendments to the level 9 video and added a "temporary" soundtrack Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I still think Rob should do a Richard Burton style voiceover.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are all the people clients or just random people on the piste?

One of the skiers in Level 7 looks like me but I've not skied with Inside Out (yet).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiger2, all our clients... looks like you are a level 7 then wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All of the footage of Level 9 seems to be people skiing comfortably on easy good snow. I would like to see more of the incompetance of a Level 9 skier, on steep difficult snow, and ice, to make a closer comparison to my level. It is the incompetance that you take lessons for, not your competance.

I might take some lessons soon!

Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bigtipper wrote:
All of the footage of Level 9 seems to be people skiing comfortably on easy good snow. I would like to see more of the incompetance of a Level 9 skier, on steep difficult snow, and ice, to make a closer comparison to my level. It is the incompetance that you take lessons for, not your competance.

I might take some lessons soon!

Laughing

I think the idea is you look at a given level and if you can 'see yourself' as one of the skiers demonstrating then you're at that level. If not, you look a level up or down of that one.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all, just back from a great week in Tignes and have managed to finish off the first draft for all levels (4-9). Have added some background music, changed some of the wording that describes the levels and made some minor changes after comments. Any last comments or criticisms would be gladly received before we put these up on our website and on youtube.

https://vimeo.com/channels/insideoutskiinglevels

As MikePow says the idea of this is not that you need to tick each box but rather what is a "best fit" for your skiing when looking at how others ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very clean interface that complements the look and feel of your website.

Fast loading and well annotated (is that the right word for text on video?)

Whilst Level 8 may be the level to consider instructor training I don't think your demonstrators displayed the necessary skills for that undertaking.

Presumably this will be integrated into your web site, or links will appear after the written descriptions?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow, You may be surprised at the entry level for L1 candidates Smile We have put through about a dozen L1 instructors and our L8 is a point just under the bar imo and a point at which with some training and changes you could be successful.

We are going to integrate the videos as pop ups within our levels page to keep them loading fast, just working out the best way to do this but will be similar to the click here for video info link http://www.insideoutskiing.com/about.html but without the youtube advert crap

also going to link to the channel as above so you can see all at once, also will have a pdf with the detailed text and possibly an intro "how to use the levels guide" video as well if people need that.
snow conditions
Great effort which will pay huge dividends to your customers
ski holidays
cheers Mike, was more time than i initially thought it would be.... also contemplating some slo mo but i think it will just confuse matters....
snow report
oops forgot to mention that L6 is brand new and was kinda difficult to do any specific comments on that would be great https://vimeo.com/channels/insideoutskiinglevels/45249720
snow conditions
Does what it says on the tin
latest report
skimottaret, Great bit of work and very informative, I will pm you with some other feedback.
ski holidays
I think it's pretty awesome. Passed it on to some friends I've been 'mentoring' to see if they can identify their level. It's quite interesting as most of them have skied quite a bit more off-piste than they normally would have learning in a more structured way.
latest report
I think you've produced something that will be really useful, and gives a good impression of Inside Out Skiing
snow report
kieranm, meh, thanks guys , a lot of work involved... any specific comments ? snowHead
snow report
Good to see the level 6 video and the videos really do complement the written description of the levels. Your written description I always think I'm a 6 but with the video I can see I do fit in more with the 7.

No specific comments, sorry!
snow report
cathy, you are defo a 7.... i have changed the L6 written descriptions and rob will be uploading soon... the video exercise was interesting as it highlighted that the written L6 level was probably too "high" and i have changed accordingly, the biggest "leap in our levels is from 6 to 7 imo..
ski holidays
skimottaret: no specific comments. I made a long post with suggestions earlier in the the thread and those points have either been addressed or are just too general to need anything specific doing about them, so given the amount of work involved I'd be tempted to declare them done and move on to the next thing.
snow conditions
Very nice.
I think I was an 8 at one stage. Have probably regressed to 6, since I was last on skis in January. Sad Roll on (early) September. Very Happy
ski holidays
Pedantica, ahhh you wont have gone back, riding a bike dear girl... wink

hmmm next summers project L10 11 12 and 13
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, thanks, but I don't share your confidence.
snow report
Pedantica, just blast it when back on planks (says the guy with a stiff back after getting dumped on his head in Tignes Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
skimottaret, oh, alright then! wink
Sorry to hear about your back. I think the idea is that you're supposed to ski the other way up. Toofy Grin
latest report
skimottaret, in my blind test the guys managed to independently pick the levels I'd say they were at so I'd say that's good anecdotal evidence it works well.
latest report
meh, nice one Cool
snow conditions
I'm like Cathy, from the earlier descriptions of the levels I've always assumed I was slap bang a L6, however, looking at the videos I now think I could be well on my way to a L7, I can spot myself in some of the L7 footage, and if I'm having a 'good day' I would say I'm nearly there, though I think the comment about still turning more with the shoulders is something I'm still guilty of when all else fails so yes, I still think I'm a L6 with some L7 leanings.
snow conditions
Megamum, after looking at loads of video for the level 6 I have amended our descriptions to:-

6 - Early Intermediate
I can ski most red runs when the conditions are good. I like going fairly fast, but struggle when it gets bumpy, steeper, icy, or the snow gets deep. You can always parallel on blues and almost always on reds, confident on reds unless the conditions are difficult. You can easily get around the mountain but your technique could be better. You may have tried moguls, black runs and the un-pisted terrain at the side of the slope, but you struggled. You may be reliant on turning with your shoulders and lack movement with your legs. Your turns tend to be the same shape and size and don't always match the terrain.

7 - Intermediate
I can ski all reds and get down most blacks as well, providing they're not too steep or bumpy. I may have tried skiing just off the side of the pistes. You are now able to link confident parallel turns on blues and reds and are comfortable skiing easier black runs. Steeper and icy slopes may cause you to lose a little of your style, but you are still able to get to the bottom in one piece. You have now started to occasionally get the feeling of ‘carving’ your turns and this has brought a whole new dimension to your skiing. You are happy on-piste but would like to ski on other slopes, including off-piste, bumps fields and other variable conditions.

From the previous version...

6 - Early Intermediate
I can ski most red runs when the conditions are good and may have tried blacks. I like going fairly fast, but struggle when it gets bumpy, steeper, icy, or the snow gets deep.  You can always parallel on blues and almost always on reds, confident on reds unless the conditions are difficult. You can easily get around the mountain but your technique could be better. You may have tried moguls, black runs and the un-pisted terrain at the side of the slope, but you struggled. The main slope at The Snow Centre is easy for you but we will be looking to challenge you. We will work on developing your skills by getting you able to turn by either twisting, edging or pressuring the skis and then combine these skills in different ways to tackle different terrain and conditions.  Typically you will be joining our Skills Clinics or taking private coaching sessions with us.
ski holidays
skimottaret, FWIW I think the new description is better. It doesn't relate of the description to something that some people might not be able to relate to, i.e. the snow centre at Hemel, and that makes it more relevant for everyone not just those that have skied the slope. It also keeps me firmly in the L6 category which is where I think I should be LOL

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 6-07-12 19:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
very good, clear and exactly the point you're trying to get over, ive not read the whole thread but am i correct in saying that level 8/9 is at ski instructor level?
latest report
Huckacliff duckabranch, 9 would be roughly a Level 1 instructor in my opinion an 8 would be getting ready to take exams... a 10 would be roughly at basi L2 level, an 11 L3 ish...
snow conditions
not being rude or disrespectful to a level 9, and anyone who is at level 9 is clearly putting time and effort in and will progress beyond that, level 9 looks a long way of being fully a accomplished skier, do you have any footage of level 10/11 etc?
snow report
Quote:

level 9 looks a long way of being fully a accomplished skier

There's obviously no hope for me ever being an 'accomplished skier' then Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy