Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is my Skiing Level VIDEO

Poster: A snowHead
Some skiers on the level 5 video do not have helmets. On http://www.thesnowcentre.com/about/our-equipment it says "For your own safety, a helmet is compulsory for all participants of lessons, ...".
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Adrian, only on the lesson slope, not on the main slope... only U16 or if you are using freestyle features do you have to wear helmets ... And that matters why?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really nice and a good length. I liked the words at the bottom but they did keep masking what the skiers feet & skis were doing - I kept trying to peer over the words Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurry up and get to level 13 so I can compare myself to some peers Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
Adrian, only on the lesson slope, not on the main slope... only U16 or if you are using freestyle features do you have to wear helmets ... And that matters why?
The quoted page says "all participants of lessons" it does not restrict the requirement to just part of the slope. I remembered some requirement on wearing helmets from my one visit to the slope and noticed their lack on the L5 video. So I looked on the website. The topic matters because your video appears to be breaking the rules of the slope as stated on the slope's own website. Perhaps their website needs correcting.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems appropriate. Do we really need 4 levels of snowplough turns on green/blues though?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, great idea. Love the way that the various skiers differed in so many ways - usually it's tricky to pinpoint a level, but with that range I think it should be much more straightforward. Looking forward to seeing more!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Adrian, you should take your concern to a Mr. Peter Silver-Gillespie, the head of ski school at The Snow Centre... He could assist in correcting their website.. and make sure you mention my name in your complaint Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
have edited the levels video to get to be a minute long, did some colour and audio balancing and have tried to order the clips to highlight the text...

https://vimeo.com/channels/insideoutskiinglevels

any better? (the first draft is below the main video)

It is very British (i.e. lame).

A wobbly movie with plain people in cheap skigear looks low-quality and harms your brand, in my opinion.

Jazz it up. Get some hot chix, cool music and blue skies in there.

Good luck.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
a few more up for review, just need to do our level 6 and then have a look to ensure some consistency and still need a few more clips...

still lame as no music track or hot babes wink

https://vimeo.com/channels/insideoutskiinglevels
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, loving the work as I know how hard it is to get good footage, but have to say the level 10 "race" bit is the worst bottom drop I have seen in a long time, really sorry to the Snowhead in question Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, that is why he is a 10 not an 11... wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my head, 10 looks better than the video displays... would be interested to see the level 11.

I like what you're doing though Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alans deep bath, to be honest i dont have much L10 footage as we dont have too many clients at that level and the tape i have is mainly doing drills not actually skiing... the L10 is very much a first draft and i agree should show a slightly higher general standard...

not really planning on doing an 11 as we dont teach many people at that level except for a very small handful of children racers... a good promising racer at what i would consider a solid L11 is at
http://youtube.com/v/UfIigYNy6qE&feature=share (video posted from his coach Philbo Head coach at Hemel Ski Race Club)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't get any of the clips to play on Vimeo plus. Anything for those of us that don't give a toss about installing latest n greatest browsers?
snow conditions
fatbob, hmm what browser you on? the plan is to host on Vimeo and then imbed on our website in pop ups on our levels page so hopefully wont be an issue longer term...

also will cross post on our YouTube channel when they are all sorted

does a direct link work https://vimeo.com/43604438 this gets rid of the channel stuff....
ski holidays
skimottaret, thanks. Even if you have to film yourselves to get the content right...
ski holidays
OK copped a few on a different browser - IE7 didn't seem to want to play though I could get the thumbnails. Agree that L9 & 10 look like they need clarity - the Japow bloke looks like a very good skier at L 10 but then the drills seem to make people look undynamic/non relaxed e.g. the lady skiing indoor bumps just doesn't look as good a skier as the one skiing outdoor bumps although technically I can see there probably isn't a lot between them. Maybe better to have a smaller number of people so that someone can say - I look more like that. As it stands I could see people saying I'm not as good as that person (at L9) but I'm better than that person (at L10). Maybe it doesn't really matter as some of the difference at that level is more about application of good basics so l9/10/11 can happily mix in a class.
snow conditions
Indoor bumps ? Which clip time are you referring to? We haven't included any drills but people tend to stiffen up when being filmed..

Interesting the japow skier was on an easy gradient and I wouldn't say was any stronger than others

I haven't worried too much about the higher levels just wanted to get something up for completeness
Spent much much more time on 5 7 8 to try to get consistency, ran out of time to do 6 which willl have to wait till after hols
snow report
skimottaret, the bumps comments were in the latter part of L10. I think the japow is illustrative of the problem i.e. to me the skier looked relaxed and well within comfort zone for meadow skipping pow i.e. you'd struggle to find pros skiing that much more aggressively or directly but say the guy on the sketchy glacier/grey piste looked a lot more uptight even though the gradient didn't look severe. Maybe I'm at a conclusion that seeing the same terrain in each level with people skiing down it at varying levels of comfort/dynamism is a better gauge even if that means you have to resort to the tool used by most of a better skier faking lower levels.
snow report
I like the progression in general - I can see it being a really helpful series of videos. I think there is a lot of overlap in ability between the skiers in the L9 and L10 though. But as you say you've spent more time on 5, 7, & 8 that isn't perhaps very surprising, and at least shows that the extra work you've done there is improving things.

One point that I can see causing confusion is whether a skier has to meet all the descriptive texts to meet a certain level, or if they are just indicative of the sort of things that people at that level can do. A good example is off-piste skiing. I can think of skiers who would meet the L9 standard (or higher) but who never ski off piste. I know that you (probably) would still class them as L9 or L10 despite this, but if they booked themselves in at L8 it might be frustrating for all concerned. Off piste is just an easy example to illustrate the point, and I think at L9 and L10 skiers are likely to be able to make a lot of this judgement for themselves so in practice it is a poor example. For a less experienced skier at one of the earlier levels though they could mark themselves down just because they don't meet one of the statements. A bit of blurb when you make the final page of videos would I'm sure solve that.

The other side of the coin is skiers (and I know lots of these) who might in reality be a L5 "I can ski on blue runs but green runs are fun and easy" but who in reality just want to ski everything their mates are doing so spend most time on reds and the odd black. They are not lacking in confidence and so might think L7 "I can ski red runs with confidence" is them. I guess the video is designed to help sort this out, but...

Final point: a lot of skiers have never seen themselves on video. I remember some from last year being somewhat shocked and disappointed when they got to see some clips of themselves skiing. They had imagined they looked rather better than they did in reality.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
..........to be honest i dont have much L10 footage as we dont have too many clients at that level..........

Just give me a shout skimottaret and I'll let you have some video shots of me Toofy Grin Laughing wink
snow report
kieranm wrote:
One point that I can see causing confusion is whether a skier has to meet all the descriptive texts to meet a certain level, or if they are just indicative of the sort of things that people at that level can do.
It's more of a "best fit" than "tick every box", and inevitably there is going to be overlap across grade boundaries particularly when you factor in different terrain or snow conditions. From a teaching point of view it doesn't normally matter if someone is one or even two levels different as generally they will be comfortable on the same terrain, and will be able to ski at a pace which isn't going to hold up/intimidate the rest of the group. Where it does become more important is when a minimum level of ability is specified because of the nature of the course or the terrain that you'll be skiing on. Hopefully any potential clients will then find these videos helpful in making a reasonably accurate self-assessment of their ability, as a complement to the written descriptions we have.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
... I think the japow is illustrative of the problem i.e. to me the skier looked relaxed and well within comfort zone for meadow skipping pow i.e. you'd struggle to find pros skiing that much more aggressively or directly but say the guy on the sketchy glacier/grey piste looked a lot more uptight even though the gradient didn't look severe.
That's a fair point, and I think it just reflects the level of demand the two conditions. The guy skiing on the glacier piste was skiing a bit "uptight" - not really surprising as it was a steepish red pitch with a couple of inches of snow like granulated sugar on top of pure glacier ice. Everyone was skiing with trepidation because there was so little grip. He is a decent skier and I'm sure in the powder conditions seen in the other clip (benign snow on gentle terrain) he would have skied with just as much fluidity. What we're trying to convey is a set of clips in varying conditions so that people can put a best fit to. For example, if skiing powder do I look like the guy in the L9 video or the guy in the L10 video? If skiing medium radius turns do I look like the girl in L8 or L9? There's going to be overlap and subjectivity because of the variety of terrain we've used in the clips and the fact we're using real skiers. We think this approach is better than artificial demos by instructors on a single pitch, which might offer a more precise definition but we think makes it more difficult for skiers to see a reflection of their own level.
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
..........to be honest i dont have much L10 footage as we dont have too many clients at that level..........

Just give me a shout skimottaret and I'll let you have some video shots of me Toofy Grin Laughing wink

You're in the videos already (but not at L10 wink)...
latest report
On the whole I think it's a great idea, with the sub 1 min clips is easy to watch. There are some great skiers in the l9 section as well Wink
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
On the whole I think it's a great idea, with the sub 1 min clips is easy to watch. There are some great skiers in the l9 section as well Wink

Agreed kitenski Laughing
ski holidays
Really nice. Apart from a few seconds. And I agree, much much better than professionals dumbing down. We do bad skiing so much better wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, to be fair yours was from a few years ago but highlighted a few little areas that I wanted to get across... I think I will delete the L10 as it isnt representative and needs more work...

will have to wait till i get home though too busy catching fish https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151001127515901.483588.682760900&type=1

cant believe that even in the bush we no w have wifi !! four years ago no phone signal let alone internet...
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
cathy, to be fair yours was from a few years ago..

Phew! Toofy Grin

Enjoy your fishing! Very Happy
snow conditions
I have read the Skiing Levels published by skimottaret (Inside out skiing ) and noted the general approval they seem to have received on this forum.
I wonder if it would be useful to make this a "sticky" ?, with appropriate explanation that it's not an industry standard.

Getting a single industry standard seemed unlikely when I asked the question. On a widely used site like this it might well become a Standard and others might follow it.

I am sure it would be useful as something readily available to skiers for lots of purposes.
latest report
I clicked on the level 5 video but it's gorn. Puzzled

I think the videos of real people are a terrific idea - instructor videos are no use for this purpose. An instructor doing controlled snowplough turns down a steepish slope looks like a God. With quads of iron. wink
ski holidays
pam w, it's still there from this link
http://vimeo.com/channels/insideoutskiinglevels

BTW, I thought I'd better clarify that the deletion of the L10 video as not being representative of that level, had nothing to do with me allegedly being in one of the videos Toofy Grin
latest report
cathy, yes, that worked fine. thanks. Is there a L6 video yet? I think these are such a good idea - amazing it's not been done before!!
ski holidays
pam w, no L6 video yet, Scott will be doing that one when he's back from his holiday.
ski holidays
I found some other 'level' videos here

http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/courses/about-the-courses/group-skier-levels/
snow conditions
Um not sure i see the difference between level 3 through 10, should really read skiers who look like this are a danger on the slopes and should be avoided.
snow report
nixmap wrote:
Um not sure i see the difference between level 3 through 10, should really read skiers who look like this are a danger on the slopes and should be avoided.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Welcome back. Is it that time of year already? My advice - short Facebook , buy Popcorn stocks.
snow conditions
nixmap wrote:
Um not sure i see the difference between level 3 through 10,
Perhaps you can't. Doesn't mean there isn't a difference, of course.
ski holidays
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy