Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One Ski Quiver

Poster: A snowHead
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/one-ski-quiver-reviewers-choices

Interesting.

I really do agree with the versatility of the Bibby Pro, and I must have spent at least 90% of my time on them this season. Too big to be a true one ski quiver for most seasons in Europe though probably, unless you literally never touch a hard-packed piste.

Shame the Director and Preachers weren't tested, I would be very interested to see how they compared.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm, choice of locations really not going to be anything apart from a powder ski are they!!

Taos, Alta, Jackson Hole, Las Leñas, Niseko

Now if the list was Scotland, Killington, a a few places in Europe I bet there would be a different outcome, something under 80mm with decent edge for hard pack and real ice, not American "packed powder"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, Other than Niseko, I don't know that most of them have a rep for endless bottomless pow (admittedly I don't really know anything else about them either)?

80mm?!!? I haven't skied on anything below 92mm for a few years (gave my Sultan 85s to my Dad as I wasn't using them anymore), and consider that too narrow for a true one ski quiver.

I could well imagine the Cochise listed being a good choice if it was your only ski for Europe though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, All those places are well known for great off piste!

I skied the Head Supershape Titan in Easter around Stuben, which is 78mm, did everything *very* well, short and long turns, bumps, hard pack, powder, cut up crap!

Admittedly I did take my 112mm skis out with the guide we hired for the day...

I'd actually love to try out the magnums in somewhere like Niseko
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:

But so is (most of) Europe!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
But ok, I'm not trying to start a fat versus skinny debate.

Would you genuinely be happy enough with the Titans pow and crud performance that you would be happy to ski them exclusively ALL season?

From the other side, I am very nearly happy enough with the Bibbys to do so - it's only their performance on really hard-packed to icy pistes that would stop me, bumps/crud/pow/corn/slush/heavy consolidated pow/crust/fresh snow on nasty base/etc they are great.

Hence my interest in that 100-105ish range, pretty sure I could be happy using solely something like the Cochise/W99.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, yeh I know what you mean, I guess it would depend on the majority of skiing I was doing to be honest! skiing with the kids/friends on piste vs off piste/skinning...

Probably the reason why I now own 4 pairs of skis Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:

I skied the Head Supershape Titan in Easter around Stuben, which is 78mm, did everything *very* well, short and long turns, bumps, hard pack, powder, cut up crap!

Admittedly I did take my 112mm skis out with the guide we hired for the day...

I'd actually love to try out the magnums in somewhere like Niseko

Shocked holy BASI koolaid!!! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a confirmed BASIOD I have to admit i like something like the Titans as a go to ski 80ish underfoot and 15-18 radius... skis just fine in most conditions but have to say i like the look of skis like the DPS wailers...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:

I did even bump into him on another day and can confirm that despite his attempts to stay steezy with a new aqua blue helmet he was talking about stuff like drills and doing some demos for the kids. Vibes for a lost soul.

I resolutely stayed on my Redeemers all week and also had a ball except when I tested the glide properties on grass in an attempt to prove my chalet was still truly ski-in and head planted into a 6 month old cow-pat.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 31-05-12 17:20; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
Arno wrote:

I did even bump into him on another day and can confirm that despite his attempts to stay steezy with a new aqua blue helmet he was talking about stuff like drills and doing some demos for the kids. Vibes for a lost soul.

RIP Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't knock it til you've tried it Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, only yanking your chain... i did try the BASI thing and blew my knee out in the Tommeuses bumps half way through!

back then, my fat skis were some Dynastar Intuitiv Bigs with... 80mm underfoot
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, yeh I know, no worries, just playing along Smile

It may sound a bit strange, but decent <80mm skis on piste are quite a revelation compared to fats or even mid fats on piste.....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I ever do another season, or have a place to store a full quiver in the mountains, my quiver will definitely include some sort of cheater GS ski
ski holidays
As this is a coming out thread I've got to admit I've quite often eyed up 165 SL sticks in shops thinking when the discount is big enough I just might..... Embarassed
ski holidays
Arno & fatbob, I know you're both at a low ebb at the end of the season but MTFU! Toofy Grin
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Hmm, choice of locations really not going to be anything apart from a powder ski are they!!

That's exactly what I thought, seems a very strange choice of locations given the article's aim.

There is no such thing as a one ski quiver!! snowHead
snow report
Head monster im82, take some beating as a 1ski quiver
snow report
Arno wrote:
If I ever do another season, or have a place to store a full quiver in the mountains, my quiver will definitely include some sort of cheater GS ski

Yep. With my sensible head on, the pair I have are good for pretty much everything. They just need "radical freeride" graphics and be twin tips and they would be perfect wink
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
As this is a coming out thread I've got to admit I've quite often eyed up 165 SL sticks in shops thinking when the discount is big enough I just might..... Embarassed

I love mnd; tend to ski on them most of the time what ever the conditions.

Now have some pukka GS skis to play with on my next trip out that may change......

Just need to get to the mountains.....
latest report
A 155cm Elan SLX "World Cup" slalom, from gates to deep powder all you need; and the skills of a dear friend of mine to drive them.
snow report
Arno wrote:
fatbob wrote:
Arno wrote:

RIP Sad

I feel like I need to drop in to this thread to let you guys know I've only skied about 8 days of the past 220~ on snow on skis wider than 75mm and been (mainly) content... Embarassed
latest report
fatbob, i have some fischer RC4's with little edge left that need a new home... a few beers would do the deal if you are just after a tase of the dark side...
snow conditions
skimottaret, Could be very attractive thanks for the kind offer. At the very least might enable me to do some proper alpine at hemel.
latest report
fatbob, Could bring em to Hemel at some point Perhaps one of our summer events... yesterday had 25 and was a bit of a laugh, we are hoping to have Whitedot and another manufacturer at an event soon.
snow report
fatbob, sounds like they have your name on them Smile
ski holidays
Rossi Super 7
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CH2O wrote:
Rossi Super 7

From what I've seen the squad 7 would be a much better choice now. And then I'd go with S7 before Super 7. Would love to try them though.
snow conditions
skimottaret, Cheers. Likely to be up at Hemel in the next few weeks.
latest report
DannyB01, Squad 7 is awesome and an easy ski for sure, seen the best and the worst skiers having great times on them, the whole range is well thought out, made and designed.
snow conditions
I must have fallen in to a skinny-ski time warp! So much love for slender planks has never been seen around these parts...
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

I must have fallen in to a skinny-ski time warp

Oh well I better start posting and redress the balance a little Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

After last season, my one ski quiver all mountain choice has gone from 94 underfoot to 108, however my new favorite is stiffer has a bigger tip rocker and a FLAT tail. Very Happy
latest report
livetoski, Laughing
snow report
livetoski, you seriously saying you'll only take one pair of skis with you next season Wink
ski holidays
kitenski, nope usually have a lot more as you know but, if I could only take one pair, I would take the movement Trusts Very Happy
latest report
Why not learn to ski to say BASI 2/3 standard (examined) and be able to ski anything, on virtually anything and save on skis?
latest report
Cynic, why not do both Neh Neh
latest report
Cynic wrote:
Why not learn to ski to say BASI 2/3 standard (examined) and be able to ski anything, on virtually anything and save on skis?

'Cos just 'cos you can ski on any ski, the right skis are still more fun, and let you ski in different styles. Take your 155 slalom sticks above - good luck doing anything other than boring short-swing bounces and making neat little boot-lace tracks in pow on those. Restrictive when you most want to let loose and do stupid stuff.

Anyway, most of the best skiers do have multiple planks (at least the ones I know). Slalom, GS, a few full-on DH, stiff scary big mountain, soft playful powder skis...

Plus, new toys are always good.
snow report
^ yeah, there just isn't such thing as a one ski quiver for a good skier. You can have one ski to take on holiday and enjoy the week on them regardless of what happens with snow, but I'd rather pick the tool for the job. I can ski anything on skinnies, but I can have much more fun some days on skis that do other stuff!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy