Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One Piece Ski Suits

Poster: A snowHead
I know I may get slated for this one
I'm I the last person who prefers a one piece suit for skiing to jacket and trousers
I find that if I get wiped out there are a less places for the snow to get in.
Same goes for the wind on bad weather days
Is there anyone else out there who agrees or Im I just very sad?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always thought they looked a bit naff.

This is down to when I started skiing there was a tall guy in a red one piece in the ski school. He looked a bit of a (insert suitable adjective here).

I can see where your coming from though as snow in your suit can bea pain. However a decent 2 piece with good high bib and back on the salopets shouldn't have this problem any way.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perhaps this may help to change your mind.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
antoeknee,
Quote:

I beg to differ, look at this fine garment my pal Dave wore all weekend when we went to Wengen last February
http://ian-kirwin.fotopic.net/p11603944.html Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think even I would draw the line at purple green and shiny

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 28-09-05 21:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Garfield,

Nnnnnnnoooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!

They should be banned...the last lot from Naffica sealed their fate....!!

The only place that snow gets is down your neck if you aren't battened down properly.
Anywhere else is poor kit or just sheer negligence....!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charlatanefc wrote:
antoeknee,
Quote:

I beg to differ, look at this fine garment my pal Dave wore all weekend when we went to Wengen last February
http://ian-kirwin.fotopic.net/p11603944.html Wink

In that case a lot naff mainly because of the questionable colour. Obviously because Dave doesn't have too look at it he can smile!

Seems to me the one piece is not very forgiving of a less than athletic build, the lumpy bits get exagerated (not a comment about you Dave).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It seems that they might be coming back in style, this from our snowboarding cousins...

I know a guy who was wearing a similar outfit in Verbier last winter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They are also a compromise in layering so then you need zips for top and bottom halfs and then you have a two piece again..!!
And the zips will always be a weak link...!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Garfield, you're not the last person. My father is with you on this.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm sure a snowHead in the past has said they still favour them - it wasn't David Goldsmith now was it?? (forgive me David if I have mis-remembered this!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Everyone that I ski with takes the mick out of me for still wearing salopettes, but I just find them warmer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr HH is a fan....but I've converted him to two pieces (phew!). Me, I can't figure out how a lady is supposed to go to the loo in one....especially those wonderful holes in the ground that they favour in France!

Kramer, I'm with you on the salopettes thing....they're hard to come by these days though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Everyone that I ski with takes the mick out of me for still wearing salopettes

Kramer, What do all your mates wear if not sallys Puzzled .

Also it is a pain to slip on your one piece when taking the dog out last thing on a rainy night.
Charlatanefc, I would love to ski with your mate, as usually eveyone takes the pith out of me.
snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charlatanefc, Your mate went Wengen and is not only pictured in a nylon baby-grow but is ALSO drinking Septic donkey piddle!
Wore it for a bet, my ar**, he just has no taste whatsoever. Razz
snow report
Garfield,
Quote:

I know I may get slated for this one.....Is there anyone else out there who agrees or Im I just very sad?

Shocked
Yes, you are.
Laughing
Oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear. Oh dear [can we please have a smilie that shakes it's head sadly?]

So Garfield you'll like http://www.fluorescentrompersuits.co.uk/ ?

(sorry Helen, your link didn't work for me!)
snow conditions
Why all the angst against one piece suits? Are you guys shy? Laughing
When I was a nipper I loved my one piece as I got no cold draughts and was as snug as a bug in a rug Laughing
I'm going the other way with one of these currently on order to be delivered any day now:-
latest report
One piece snowsuits are great........ for children under 8 years of age. I'm unfortunately old enough to confess to wearing one in the early 90's when they were supposedly fashionable. I still have it in my loft, never to see the light of day again, but at least it wasn't flourescent. It was a Tenson subtle dark blue number. My ski boots however ( Salomon Force 9 rear entry) were an astonishing day glo yellow!!
snow report
Peter B wrote:
I'm unfortunately old enough to confess to wearing one in the early 90's when they were supposedly fashionable.

No, no, no. They went out of fashion in December 1988. I'm not sure of the exact date but it was at some point in between me buying one and actually wearing it for the first time.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, they wear ski-trousers not proper salopettes with a bib and back that come up past your waist.
ski holidays
Ok folks I think now that this thread has got going that I should admit that I also have a jacket and trousers that I wear some days just so someone else can have a turn to be the weirdest on the lift.
One word that has came up in a few posts though is fashion. Assuming that if I was to get a new set of gear for this winter in a couple of years time we would be back having this conversation though not about one pieces but some thing else the fashion police have deemed uncool.
Remember fashion is driven by companies that want to sell you stuff.
If you are purchasing good quality gear to keep you warm and dry its going to last longer than the couple of trips that most of us can manage in a year
I would prefer to put my dosh towards an extra ski trip
I would have to admit though that anyone still using rear entry boots day glow yellow or not may need shot.
ski holidays
antoeknee,
Quote:

In that case a lot naff mainly because of the questionable colour. Obviously because Dave doesn't have too look at it he can smile!

Seems to me the one piece is not very forgiving of a less than athletic build, the lumpy bits get exagerated (not a comment about you Dave).

Heh heh heh, nice isn't it?? Apparently was the creme de la creme of one pieces when he got it about 12 years ago. He paid about 250 quid for it then in Hong Kong, apparently it should have cost nearly double that over here.

Think you're right about it not being forgiving, if you saw him in everyday clothes, there isn't a pick on him.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Charlatanefc, I would love to ski with your mate, as usually eveyone takes the pith out of me.

Heh heh, makes 2 of us kidda Wink
snow conditions
Masque,
Quote:

Your mate went Wengen and is not only pictured in a nylon baby-grow but is ALSO drinking Septic donkey piddle!
Wore it for a bet, my ar**, he just has no taste whatsoever.

Heh heh heh, his Missus (who was with us, all the other halves don't ski) wouldn't even walk out of the hotel with him while he had it on LOL!!!
ski holidays
There was a thread of here last season featuring our future monarchs affinity with such attire. I thought it was only middle aged french men with moustaches that wore them these days?!
Impractical, dead unsexy and always in the most awful colours. Think people should be fined for wearing them........ Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have probably offended half of snoheads here by sounds of it.............. Razz
snow conditions
All my ski wear is actually mountaineering kit. Although the sallies are more versatile then most bottoms - they can be worn just as a windproof layer with no warmth on a hot day. They do look a little strange with the traditional duck tape covering up crampon holes... but at least they are black and so fashionably scruffy.
ski holidays
Duck tape is always a good look.
latest report
rockyrobin wrote:
I'm going the other way with one of these currently on order to be delivered any day now

I didn't know you crewed an off-shore life boat! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, Hehe, aye aye captain Laughing Will have to see how long it will take sliding in Verbier before I get my mug shot on one of the rompersuit sites.
I'll always be wearing goggles or shades so noones going to recognise me Cool
Seriously though. If I end up doing quite a bit of off-piste this coming season I reckon a bright yellow suit would be just the ticket if I get into trouble. Better to be seen I reckon.
I was going to get the version with the zip out backside for toilet stops, but a yellow suit with rear entry flap I reckon is pushing things too far Laughing
ski holidays
This is such an English discussion. I just bought a Degré 7 one piece suit in the local charity suit for £12. It'll be a useful standby and where I ski, it will fit right in and I won't stand out as a Brit on a package. French skiers of all ages wear them a lot, presumably because they've already got one, they work, and they'd rather spend money on skiing than posing. As for sexy, it's what you do with it that matters - the local lads who can ski in their sleep look a damn sight sexier in their one piece suits than some packaged English punter who can't ski but has all the gear. Must be my age, but I don't find anything sexy about muddy beige trousers with the crutch sagging between the knees. Especially when coupled with a silly hat.
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

beige trousers with the crutch sagging between the knees.

There are clearly occasions when the written word is quite enough-pictures would be too much Shocked Laughing
snow report
pam w, Rubbish. Whilst I can see (?) some slight advantage for a one piece outfit, there is NO excuse for looking like an idiot, and, what's more, there is NO excuse for wanting to look like a Frenchie Shocked

If you want to wear one because of the comfort factor then go for the uber posh (read technical) Arc'teryx and if you're not into the technical side of things go for a romper suit from one of the trendy (read snowboarding) labels (Westbeach et al)...

rolling eyes
ski holidays
parlor, ha ha ha, exactly what pam w was talking about Laughing

You go and spend, sorry waste, ridiculous amounts of money on overpriced, massively marked up pieces of cloth while the sensible ones of us get on with enjoying our skiing. I don't care what anybody else wears or looks like. I've got a one-piece as well as jacket and trousers and wear what I want, when I want. I have never and will never follow dress codes laid down by jumped up designer clothes companies. They come up each year with different styles and colours with gimmicky, bullshiting so called technical advances to make lots of money out of people like you. Smile

As for looking like an idiot, pam w knocked it on the head with the 'Brit on a package' person who has all the latest gear whilst snow ploughing down the slopes or sat in the middle of the piste with their board. The idiots for me are the ones daft enough to believe the hype and spend well over the odds of their hard earned cash on something that they think makes them look cool. For the people actually taking pictures of others on the slopes, putting them on a web page and calling them tossers rolling eyes I think they'd find the biggest tossers if they looked in a mirror, conned by the marketing departments Laughing
ski holidays
All your clothing has got to do is keep you warm and dry and comfortable in the conditions you ski in. My kit has a bit of a name to it but it works for me. It is at least 4 seasons old and is not worn out. I don't buy this seasons colours. Any decent kit should last far longer than the lastest colour. If it doesn't you have wasted your money. Damage aside, decent stuff should last years and years.
I have not long retired stuff I bought in '93, but I still wear it outdoors, but not skiing. The fabric has moved on and my newer stuff is lighter.
snow report
Oh, and I like to buy kit made in the UK but that is getting harder and harder to find. My present stuff is French made.
What I do find hard to bear is a £300 jacket made in the far East. I feel that is excessive profiteering on the manufacturing side.
snow conditions
JT, exactly right. I'll buy new gear when mine wears out, though will always look out for the odd bargain (if I like it, know I'll definitely wear it and think it's a good price I'll buy it) like you say it's got to be warm and dry. Then all I worry about is the skiing
ski holidays
I wore a one-piece for years (£75 bomb damaged stock, C&A Brent Cross - Google search suggests 1991/2 season) until it was finally completely knackered two years ago. Went to buy another one and was told that they weren't made any more - which disappointed me as the old one had been so comfortable for so long. My main jacket is now one bought cheap at last year's Ski Show in London - got it for about half price. Can't be bothered with fashion trends.
latest report
My son has just bought a Tresspass two pice from TK Maxx, total cost £80 which is way under the price else where. Think they are last seasons.

They also had a load of one piece ski suits as well.

Although the stock is very variable they do get Dare2Be, Tresspass, Cross and even Columbia.

Well worht a look if you ain't after the latest stuff at fraction of the price.
snow report
I wear a one-piece 'cos I was recommnded it as a way of keeping snow out given my propensity to fall over. A Decathlon special, I may look like a plonker but at least it then matches my skiing.

Can always tell the Brits, loads of expensive gear and 'brands' in evidence. Grey.Red/Black and .. Grey. Sat in bars and cafes when they should be on the slopes Cool
latest report
Try searching for "Bonger" and "Ski wear" (or "ski fashion"). I don't think they have their own website, they're expensive and sell through high end shops in trendy areas.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy