Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiplex! - New indoor, revolving slope!!

Poster: A snowHead
Just been to 'Skiplex' in Chiswick - honestly the coolest thing ever! Essentially a treadmill the size of a squash court which you ski on! Really good for perfecting technique, no queues, endless slope. Endorsed by Chemmy who's their ambassador. Seriously recommend it. http://www.skiplex.co.uk/ Think they are doing a summer deal at the moment too[/b]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rolling eyes obviously no connection
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Always like to help out a friend with any promoting! Think snowheads members could love it! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That looks rubbish.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm skiplex website registered to James McCormack it is. User has chosen name Corks rolling eyes

Tinned pork product from the dark side it must be

Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haha, brilliant. My name is Corks and Im a girl! Juuust helping out a friend and giving my opinion. I think its a great new training development!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonm wrote:
That looks rubbish.

and expensive!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Might be good for a laugh.

I'm looking forward to the extended debate featuring broken physics myself.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corks, yep we've been there...done this..... rolling eyes

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1823110&highlight=treadmill#1823110

What are your views on inertia?! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Corks,

Can you carve on it; how hot do the skis get?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Once you get confident you can carve yeah and they are developing ways to put a kicker in which could be good. Gatecrasher that's awesom you've been involved with others, my mate says this is now the only one in the uk but yeah the idea isn't new!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big discounts available for this, I guess normal prices are set to high if it needs this level of discount to be readily available.
Friday 1st June 1.45pm &4.15pm 1/2 price (Adult £14.99, Child £11.99)code is ski0106 call 02089943314
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
obviously some sort of launch deal as well but i was going through the Tesco Rewards website the other day & found it! So in theory you could probably have a test run on Clubcard points (Oh, whilst I'm here Mr Cohen - you might as well have my soul as well ...)
(no endorsement here - just interested in feedback).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Corks, Welcome to snowHeads
(although starting by plugging a business might not be a great way to win friends and influence people (some of us wait years before going down that slippery slope))

As gatecrasher says there has been extensive debate about this before.
I tried something similar when I started out and it worked for me. I was bumped up a couple of classes on my next ski holiday, which can't be bad. If Chiswick were closer I'd definitely consider it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These “moving carpets” have been going for 40 years now, I question there use for anything other than familiarisation with kit.
snow report
I've not used one of these, but I understand the swiss ski team use one in switzerland for training. It is said (and i bear no responsibility for this) that it helps specifically with technique. But what it isn't is a substitute for skiing down a mountain
snow report
benjiperson wrote:
I've not used one of these, but I understand the swiss ski team use one in switzerland for training. It is said (and i bear no responsibility for this) that it helps specifically with technique. But what it isn't is a substitute for skiing down a mountain

same can be said for a skiers edge machine or even going to a gym and working on specific exercises

welcome to the madhouse BTW
ski holidays
benjiperson wrote:

Another new person who is only posting about this...
snow report
simon_bates, yeah i did think that....benefit of doubt and all that...time will tell
snow report
CEM wrote:
same can be said for a skiers edge machine or even going to a gym and working on specific exercises
Or just going along to your local (uh hum - dare I say) dry slope and joining in with the local club coaching sessions? Which would almost certainly come in at less than the £39.99 / hour for evenings or weekends on this! In fact we pay less than that per month for up to 3 coached sessions / week!
ski holidays
I often find my self around London with a spare day when I travel over for gigs.
In the summer this would be nice to play with my ski legs... however £40 for a shared 'lesson' with 4 people when I'm a qualified instructor myself seems a wee bit pointless.
Far too expensive.
ski holidays
Madhouse - i like that. Enjoying finding my way round
snow conditions
I am a new person posting about this - I expect it could be a useful training for the elite. At the end of the day it looks like it takes away all the good bit of skiing.

- I will post again.
ski holidays
benjiperson wrote:

JimmyD wrote:
I am a new person posting about this - I expect it could be a useful training for the elite. At the end of the day it looks like it takes away all the good bit of skiing.

Hmmmm.....vaguely similar!

JimmyD wrote:
- I will post again.

Who as next time.....?

Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
I've not watched all the videos on the site, but can they change the gradient and belt speed on it? Could be pretty cool if they did, especially if it was being used as an agility training tool.
Looks good but expensive!
snow conditions
Chasseur, bit harsh mate Cool
snow report
Can anyone tell me how to change my user name? Setting up a new account each time could get tiresome.
snow conditions
This must be the 3rd or 4th incarnation of something like this I've seen - two of which I've tried - one that used to be at Decathlon at Canada Water in London and one that was in a shed down near Canterbury. This key difference appears to be that this looks much bigger than the ones I tried.

Personally, I think the basic premise is a good one for beginner to early-intermediate skiers and, with a good instructor, it can really help with turn shape development. One thing I really liked about it is that you get immediate feedback from the instructor - so, not "your second turn was really good", but instead you get "that was good". It makes a huge difference.

It is also totally knackering. At Hemel you spend a minute going down and then rest for a couple of minutes on the uplift. On this you just keep going. And going. And going.

I'm skeptical about how much use it would at higher skier levels, but would certainly recommend giving it a go if you're tempted.

Of course, much will depend on the quality of instructor that you get.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, Yep, I saw my first revolving carpet slope at the London Ski Show in about 1980 and it wasn't a new invention even then.

It's quite a neat business model though. It just takes up a squash court (and there are loads of empty squash courts around) and the fees charged (and apparently achieved) are on par with indoor snow yet the set up and running costs are infinitisimal by comparison.
snow conditions
I could almost see the point of it if a bootfitter had enough space, to try out boots as they are being tweaked and customised.
snow conditions
I've not tried this and I probably won't, but I definitely intend to get my kids on it. Prior to a ski holiday, this seems like a much better value way (than an indoor slope) to get them used to skis and boots and excited about a ski holiday (they're 5 and have not been before)
snow conditions
iainm wrote:
I've not tried this and I probably won't, but I definitely intend to get my kids on it. Prior to a ski holiday, this seems like a much better value way (than an indoor slope) to get them used to skis and boots and excited about a ski holiday (they're 5 and have not been before)
iainm, not sure if I agree....it could frighten the life out of them, I would say put your kids on a static surface be it plastic or indoor for their first outing!
snow report
gatecrasher wrote:
iainm wrote:
iainm, not sure if I agree....it could frighten the life out of them, I would say put your kids on a static surface be it plastic or indoor for their first outing!

I've used one of these, and I have to agree with gatecrasher, I don't think it's ideal for starting kids off on. I wouldn't take a 5 year old who's not been skiing, it's such a different scenario from real skiing that I don't think it would be of any benefit. It's much much harder to get used to than real snow, and it's a hard and abrasive surface that I've had far worse bruises off than any real snow surface. It could also cause confusion, as some of the basics are opposite on this surface, i.e. if you put on a nice snowplough to try to stop on this you get carried off the back. To stop you have to shush down to the safety bar.

Also I imagine it's just not got the "fun" element to it, which is what you really need the 5 year olds to get hooked on. There's v.few other people around you, no opportunity to play in the snow, throw snowballs, slide around etc.
latest report
iainm, I'd echo the comments above. I've done the reverse treadmill thing and snowdomes and whilst the former is great for fitness and technique it's not good for distraction and fun. My first thought on seeing your post was that it will be exhausting. I don't have the physical resources of a 5 year old (if only...) but you need to balance the boredom factor of short runs with frequent trips back up the slope against the physical effort of one long continuous run.

If you get a good instructor who is great with little kids it could be fine, otherwise you might regret it.
(that said, I'd say the same of a snowdome or even a week on a mountain)
latest report
It seems extremely expensive. I would rather learn on the slopes of not-so-steep hills than take this. And by the way nothing can compare the actual experience of skiing.
snow report
scooby_simon, You can't carve properly on one it, to not fall over on one of these there will always need to be some skid in the turn

When carving your center of mass acts outside of the area covered by the skis, shown by the black arrow in the above photo. As the skier is pivoting about A if the only force acting on him was gravity then he would topple over to skiers left. However as he is turning in an arc he is decelerating in the radial direction shown by the red arrow. This deceleration exerts a force on his center of mass which if it were the only force would cause him to pivot to skiers right about A. These two forces causing him to pivot about A cancel out and he is able to maintain his position throughout the turn.

When skiing on the carpet your body is not following an arc in space, there is no radius and therefore there is no deceleration in the radial direction, and consequently you would topple over to skiers left if attempting a true carve on the carpet.

Skidding the turn introduces deceleration in the 'radial' direction' as the skier is literally slowing down as they move from side to side and this allows them to make turns on the carpet.

I hope this is understandable

For the nitpickers out there it is not a true pivot about A as there are two skis, a snowboard would perhaps be a better example as that would act as true pivot but then snowboarders always seem to introduce some skid to their turns anyway wink If all of his weight was on the outside ski then A would be located at the outside ski and the explanation would hold
ski holidays
rambotion wrote:
scooby_simon, You can't carve properly on one it, to not fall over on one of these there will always need to be some skid in the turn

When carving your center of mass acts outside of the area covered by the skis, shown by the black arrow in the above photo. As the skier is pivoting about A if the only force acting on him was gravity then he would topple over to skiers left. However as he is turning in an arc he is decelerating in the radial direction shown by the red arrow. This deceleration exerts a force on his center of mass which if it were the only force would cause him to pivot to skiers right about A. These two forces causing him to pivot about A cancel out and he is able to maintain his position throughout the turn.

When skiing on the carpet your body is not following an arc in space, there is no radius and therefore there is no deceleration in the radial direction, and consequently you would topple over to skiers left if attempting a true carve on the carpet.

Skidding the turn introduces deceleration in the 'radial' direction' as the skier is literally slowing down as they move from side to side and this allows them to make turns on the carpet.

I hope this is understandable

For the nitpickers out there it is not a true pivot about A as there are two skis, a snowboard would perhaps be a better example as that would act as true pivot but then snowboarders always seem to introduce some skid to their turns anyway wink If all of his weight was on the outside ski then A would be located at the outside ski and the explanation would hold
rambotion,

I'm off to find a healthier alternative to popcorn!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1823110&highlight=treadmill#1823110
ski holidays
I think it is a great initiative. For people who can't take out a whole month or even 2 weeks out of their busy life routine, they can easily enjoy the fun of skiing nearer to home. And i think thats worth the price.
snow report
Nothing can compare to actual snow. Skiing is not only about sliding down on an inclined plane. Its the thrill and the fun in it, which can not be enjoyed on a treadmill the size of a squash court. And if you guys really feel that this can be an alternative to actual skiing, it means you never had the real experience.
snow report
Some footage from the Dutch one

http://youtube.com/v/PlCMDKJ8kbE
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy