Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New social media guidelines/rules for **** members

Poster: A snowHead
Big brother is now watching

Quote:
"Always identify yourself using your real name and state your relationship to **** when you discuss **** or **** related matters"

Seems a bit at odds with a few lines later

Quote:
"Do not use ****, ****.org.uk in the title header or personal user name of any social network site, web site or within a web site URL"

Quote:
"and the name **** may not be used for any social media web site titles without the prior consultation and approval being given by the BASI Membership & Marketing Department

Quote:
If a **** Member consistently undermines these guidelines, the Association, at its sole discretion, will determine appropriate action which could include disciplinary and/or legal action.

I can see the need for guidelines but this seems somwhat draconian
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I give up, what's "****" ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonm, BASI.

I've just read the new guidelines. Seems to mostly be common sense, so not sure I agree they are draconian. In summary, don't appear if you a speaking on behalf of the organisation, don't publish confidential information, don't use social media as an official channel for communicating with the organisation, and consistently bringing the organisation in to disrepute could result in disciplinary action. That all seems sensible to me. The bits about being respectful when disagreeing with other members, taking care with the quality of your posts including spelling, and ensuring you represent yourself and BASI well might be a wee bit patronising, but I find it hard to argue against any of that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have to say it's very similar to my own companies social media policy which we introduced recently.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did this come out in an email, as I don't have anything from them!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, the recent E-News (yesterday?) said it was available on the BASI Members Area. Log in and it is in the Company Documents section, I think.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Interesting, didn't get the enews......
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"Do not use ****, ****.org.uk in the title header or personal user name of any social network site, web site or within a web site URL"

seems reasonable to me, dont pass yourself off as an official BASI site.

I have to admit I was confused at first with two BASI Facebook pages or groups or whatever they call em... the busy one called BASI members group has nothing to do with BASI and was started by a member. It works fine but it is confusing, perhaps it should be renamed the Unofficial BASI chat shop or something.. Also somebody called themself BASI votes and was conducting straw poles which generated some really good discussions, the individual had nothing to do with BASI (which I had assumed it was a BASI person) and then deleted all the discussion threads..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So just to play devils advocate I wonder what they would do if a non-member did all that say that members shouldn't. Things like the ****.net are up for sale , basi and basi are a financial group and SS Basi are a group of solicitors, so if a non member wanted to call something 'should I join ****' and talk about related issues I wonder what would happen.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Strangely they are not posted on the FB page that no doubt prompted them.

No BASI News for me either.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another one not in the loop here, Mounta1nGoat has just sent me a copy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Big brother is now watching

Quote:
"Always identify yourself using your real name and state your relationship to **** when you discuss **** or **** related matters"

Seems a bit at odds with a few lines later

Quote:

Quote:
"and the name **** may not be used for any social media web site titles without the prior consultation and approval being given by the BASI Membership & Marketing Department

Quote:
If a **** Member consistently undermines these guidelines, the Association, at its sole discretion, will determine appropriate action which could include disciplinary and/or legal action.

I can see the need for guidelines but this seems somwhat draconian

It's not saying you can't write BASI on a web forum or message board, jsut not to use it as a title or name for yourself.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edit: spam post above has been deleted.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 20-08-12 23:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rule one of BASI: You don't talk about BASI
Rule two... oh you get where i'm going with this...

At least if they're a secret soceity their membership may go up, I hear their meetings are like 'Eyes wide shut' but with goggles and bobblehats...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the spelling thing is going to cause a lot of problems.
ski holidays
One of the impacts of this for members of snowheads is the requirement to use real names when you are discussing [organisation].
 Always be transparent about your affiliation with [organisation]
 Always identify yourself using your real name and state your relationship to [organisation] when you discuss [organisation] or [organisation] related matters
 Disclose conflicts of interest
Unquote
My own advice (usually chargeable Happy) is that if you think your posting about [organisation] will help you achieve your next goal or pass your next Ski Instructor exam, or help someone else achieve something, then post it.
If not, don't post it.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SkiPresto)
snow conditions
 snosocial
snosocial
Maybe its because I'm brand new here but I have no idea what anyone here is talking about. I see a couple of references to BASI social media rules but nobody is citing a link to the original source that's being referred to???

As far as trade mark, you've got to firmly enforce usage in names or you'll lose enforcability if you become like the words Jacuzzi and Xerox. But i don't see that being a problem for "basi."

Anyways... sounded interesting so wanted to chime in. I run a sports media forum too.

--
bob wan kim
310 598 1606
Sparkah
social media optimization + marketing
nyc | la | sf | london

Last edited by snosocial on Wed 21-11-12 7:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Wankim - could be the new name for chopped meat?
snow conditions
 snosocial
snosocial
Hi... i hope not... i spend a month every year in Vail or Tahoe just like you do! =)
snow conditions
Kevindonkelywood:

Possibly they are trying to avoid a pprune type situation where insiders post anonymously giving information and then a bunch of sock puppets join in stating supposition and rumour as if they were fact.

If a member posts anonymously knowing the rules, they would be liable to sanction. If they post using thier real name then they would probably consider what they are posting.

I'm a member of an organisation for which at least one unofficial Facebook page existed (maybe still does). It's a pile of steaming wombat do's and utterly annoying.

It might seem draconian, but you might be reasonable and sensible person. Think about some of the dafter stuff posted on here, then think of how the members of BASI might feel if it were posted on the internet under their banner.

For what it's worth, I am not currently a BASI member, but since I am thinking of joining.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy