Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FAMILY 50TH AND FIRST SKI TRIP AT NEW YEAR 2012 HAVE I MADE A MISTAKE??

Poster: A snowHead
ok

Hello to all
I am a new member looking for advice please.

On a whim I have booked to go to El Tarter in Andorra on the 29th of December 2012 for one week.
Complete package half board-ski and boots-ski tuition-passes all in.

I have done some snow boarding in our local snowdome and love it.
My children are 23 and 17, not really children.
It is my wife who is going to be 50 and she has not skied at all.
We have joined the snow dome and we are going to have skiing lessons together.

The problem is I now think I have chosen the wrong resort and probably the wrong time to go.
It would seem perfect for our skiing capabilities but is rather isolated.

The girls in my life are shopaholics and when we are not skiing it would be nice to walk out and take in some shopping and apre ski but it does not sound like the resort for that, I suppose we are looking for the whole quaint christmas card image/resort right next too a shopping mall !

I want the holiday to be special as it is my wifes 50th so I have spoken to crystal who we are travelling with and we can change without charge if we are spening more money which I do not mind as long as the resort is right.

things that I would like in this trip

snow (too early in season)
not too busy (wrong week to go)
shopping
pleasant people
in out skiing
easy transfers
weather, sunshine

Now I have wrote it down I see it could be difficult to do at the time of year we have chosen, but my son is still at school.

I might consider putting the whole thing off for a different time of year and get a better experience/resort for less, I think I am trying to combine too many things in one holiday/ski trip.

I have considered USA/CANADA/OBERGUL/CHERV1850

Anyone have any advice please ?
Or Shall I put it off for some better time
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hugh4243, welocme to snowHeads!

I am sure it will still be a special holiday. Normally what happens is that you are hooked and plan to go back again asap (ie in March/April) wink
Sorry I can't comment on Andorra but I am sure lots of ideas from people who have been there will pour in (and knowing snowHeads, lots of ideas from people who haven't been there too Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CHEERS

FINGERS CROSSED
MANY THANKS
sorry for the capitols
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
can't speak for Andorra but most ski resorts I've been to have a profusion of retail outlets selling both tat and designer tat to liberate visitors from as much burdensome cash as possible including art galleries, dog boutiques, designer jeans, platinum jewellery and other things essential to the skiing experience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers fat bob
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pas de la Casa has loads of shopping, and of course Andorra is duty free (but that doesn't necessarily mean cheap). The tranfer is quite long as I remember it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From what I remember El Tartar is a tiny little hamlet linked to the Grandvalira area. So, snow permitting the skiing should be excellent and it's pretty good value for money. Snow is a lottery wherever and whenever you go. The two times I have been to Andorra were both in March, the first time the snow was awesome, the second time the snow was rubbish. As for shopping, I believe Crystal normally run a trip to Andorra La Vella.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
how about snow am i in the lap of the gods ??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hugh4243,
Firstly there is no guarantee what snow and weather is going to be like at any time of the year, but:

In my own experience of nearly 30 years now you are more likely to get good snow and weather later in the season than at the beginning of the season. The week you have chosen does tend to be an expensive one and is often just about the busiest week of the year, early season snow is a bit of a lottery it can be absolutley great but sometimes it can be a bit thin, man made and icy. If you have to take holidays at school holiday time february is often better for snow and weather though is still expensive and particularly in France crowded.

Easter holidays are often a great time for beginner skiers who can enjoy good skiing in the morning and relaxing in the sun in the afternoon.
I have not skied in Andorra and cannot comment but if you are gong skiing at Easter time it is worth going somewhere with a bit of height and some north facing skiing.

As far as pleasant people go I have not had many unpleasant exeriences in ski resorts but the slightly less fashionable ones and ones with a permanent community often seem to make that bit of extra effort.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

if you are gong skiing at Easter time it is worth going somewhere with a bit of height and some north facing skiing.

As far as pleasant people go I have not had many unpleasant exeriences in ski resorts but the slightly less fashionable ones and ones with a permanent community often seem to make that bit of extra effort.

I'd agree with that. You will almost certainly find Easter cheaper, and on the whole you'll have more pleasant weather, longer days, and still plenty of snow (you need a resort with pistes with different aspects, for different times of the day, but you'll presumably be in ski/snowboard schools and your instructors will take care of where to go when).

Yes, you are probably looking for a bit too much. In particular you might need to make a choice between in/out skiing and the quaint Christmas card aspect, as the prettiest villages are often a little too low to have much ski in/out accommodation and reliable resort-level snow.

The most important thing for your wife, really, will be the quality of instruction she gets. The local ski schools in Austria and France have some terrific instructors but it can be a bit of a lottery in a biggish group. It is worth putting in the effort to get recommendations for a good ski school, preferably with small groups (maximum six).

One very specific recommendation I would make is Megeve, in France. It has a lovely pedestrianised centre, with mega-shopping (mega prices to match) and the only one of your criteria missing is ski in/out accommodation. But there is a branch of the British Alpine Ski School (BASS) which would guarantee you top instruction and another possibility is to look at Simon Butler skiing. http://www.simonbutlerskiing.com. I've not stayed there and have no personal connection BUT have only heard good reports of it, and their formula, where you are right in the very attractive town and have "in house" ski lessons does sound like a good one for your family.

Megeve is a bit low for Easter, really and will be rammed at New Year. If you have to go in school holidays and liked the look of Megeve I'd suggest going at half term. A lot of people who go to Megeve go to pose/shop/eat expensive meals and they are not all on the first lift up the mountain. And the local instructors would know exactly where to take you to escape the crowds.

Crystal probably don't go to Megeve though (one of the nice things about the resort is that it's not rammed with Brits). You'll get lots of suggestions - just keep "guaranteed high quality instruction in small groups" at the top of your wish list. Private lessons are an alternative, but groups can be a lot of fun. You might have a better idea of what you want after some sessions at the snowdome.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There used to be publis buses running into Andorra La Vella and the shopping there is great. It's tax-free and has a great Zara, Mango and H&M and El Tarter is a pretty little village so the girls should be happy and last time I was there I found that the locals were very friendly!
New Year week is always busy (Christmas is normally a quieter week) but it's normally celebrated in style so it will feel very special.
The English ski school in Andorra is one of the best I have ever come across so if you have some lessons over there, you will really get a lot from them and I think (although I may be wrong so don't quote me) that if you are on a lesson you can queue-jump some of the lift queues with your ski instructor.
Wherever you do end up, I'm sure that you will have a fantastic time and you'll just have to cross your fingers for the weather Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never been to Andorra but one often hears good reports about the ski schools there - lots of Antipodeans?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think hugh4243, the thing to remember is the enemy of good is better.

It will be a good holiday. Snow will be fine and atmosphere will be great. Stop fretting and be happy your holiday is booked and paid for. The mountains will be there the following year if you still want to go back
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't worry about snow at that point, there should at least be plenty to ski on.

If you want lots of shopping in resort, Kitzbuehel and to a slightly lesser extent Ischgl should be on the list. If they don't mind travelling a little, any of the resorts around Salzburg or Innsbruck would be good. Saalbach is a very friendly village with nice locals, easy public transport to Salzburg for shopping, fun nightlife for the 'kids' and lots of nice cruisy pistes for beginners. I'm a little biased, but Fuerstauer Ski School have some excellent instructors, plenty of whom either are British or speak perfect English.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seefeld is a good resort for beginners, and only a short (and cheap) train journey to Innsbruck.

Banff has quite a lot of shopping in the town.

Why don’t you leave the girls in Milan and those who are interested in skiing just head on up to the mountains - possibly Livigno (another duty free one).
snow report
Montgenevre ticks all the boxes
1 hour from Turin
ski from door
ski to village
nice restaurants, not too much if any late night life
nursery slopes in village
latest report
Agree with clarky999, about Kitzbuhel for the shopping aspect, it's also a lovely looking town so will be very picture postcard-like if there's any snow in the town. Never had tuition there so can't comment on that. Crystal have a fully catered chalet which is ski in/out (called the Karlberger I think), it's next to the Hahnenkamm run so not sure whether beginners will be able to ski to it - it is right next to the beginner slopes at the bottom of the Hahnenkamm too though.

I would think that a lot of ski in/out accommodation may actually be located next to slopes that beginner-ish skiers may struggle to get to.
snow conditions
SHopping in Andorra La Vella is excellent as is the Caldea Spa. We had private lessons in Arinsal with a Scottish Instructor - he was awesome. The last time we went (oooh 8years ago?) we had a Chilean instructor.
snow conditions
Many thanks for all this info,
I am very thankful to patricksh put my mind at rest.
Just go for it and hope there is snow.
I have conflicting friends almost arguing over this in the pub so it is not easy to answer.
I assume I am high enough for the best chance??
or is that a whole new arguement?? Puzzled

Cheers to you all
snow report
Thanks to victoriac
I get the feeling your on my wave length or at least the girls
cheers
snow conditions
1. Courchevel 1850.
2. Lech.
3. Zermatt.
ski holidays
Megeve, Zermatt, St. Mortiz, and Cortina. All of these will tick most of your boxes, but will be expensive--especially for that time of year.
snow conditions
We're also in El Tarter for New Year. It's also a family celebration as it's my wife's 45th Birthday New Years Eve and my daughters 16th Birthday New Years Day.

In answer to some of your doubts, we've been to a number of resorts in various countries at different times of the year and each have their own little charms and quirks. Finland, France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Andorra - they all offer something different but it's Andorra we're returning to this year. Our first time in Andorra was also my wife's first skiing experience (no snowdome lessons beforehand though)In fact of the 29 that went, 26 had never skied before. The ski school imho has definitely been one of the best and has an excellent reputation. I believe it's also won a number of awards too. The advantage that the ski school in El Tarter has is that it's on the mountain at Riba and not stuck on the valley floor like some places which makes it much easier to meet up for lunch and doesn't leave the beginners feeling like they're missing out. It's also makes it easier for a natural progression onto the surrounding runs.

Our previous trip to Andorra (2006) was also the first week of January and the conditions were superb. However there was so much snow that the road leading to the tunnel from the French side hadn't been cleared (apparently the French aren't keen on clearing it!) We were only 500 metres from the tunnel and El Tarter is only 8 kms once you're through the tunnel so we were diverted back down the mountain and had to approach Andorra from the Spanish side. The transfer took over 10 hours instead of the 3 that it was meant to. Which is why we're flying into Lleida in Spain this time rather than Toulouse though I'm sure it was just a one off. The transfer from either side is a long one and is one of the few negatives of Andorra although with a good book does it really matter whether it's an hour on the bus or three?? If you want short transfers Levi in Finland has to be the best - 15 minutes. Great resort for beginners but v. limited for anyone else - more of a winter experience holiday than a ski holiday.

Some of the hotels run buses to Andorra La Vella where there's a myriad of shops, enough to satisfy anyone's retail therapy needs. Soldeu (10 minutes on the free ski bus from El Tarter) has a number of the usual ski resort shops. Kitzbuhel as others have mentioned is also good for shops but be prepared to sell the house if you want to buy something - unbelievably expensive. The Karlberger chalet in Kitzbuhel is ideally placed for access to the slopes but was the least favourite of all the chalets we've stayed in.

Personally, my heart lies in the Dolomites though - once you're up and running on skis or a board it's a fab place. Great food, fab architecture, superb skiing on the Sella Ronda, good value and simply stunning scenery. Although the Dolomites is my favourite place to date we're going back to Andorra because, as patricksh says, it will still be a good holiday no matter what. A family holiday together is what really counts.

We're staying in the Hotel Del Clos if you fancy a beer or two.
latest report
The Soldeu-Tarter part of Grandvalira is typically sunny above the treeline (which is also where the beginner zone is) and shady on the tree-lined runs home (thus preserving the snow better). It's a great place for progression from beginner to intermediate. El Tarter is also quite pretty especially when compared to Pas de la Casa.
latest report
hugh4243, by that time of year, if you don't have decent snow in Andorra, you probably don't have decent snow in 80% of ski resorts. The ultra-high resorts might have more snow, but unless it was exceptionally bad start to the season I wouldn't worry about it at all.

There are plenty of things to do. If the shoppers whinge about opportunity to get into the shops remind them that when they do go shopping it is tax free. This means cheap drinks and the food on the mountain seems to be significantly cheaper than most other places we've been to.

There are better places for shopping. There are more snowsure places to go in December. But it isn't exactly lacking in either.
snow conditions
Currently Pas de la Casa have 50cm of snow on low pistes and 90cm on upper ones (according to the Ski Club of GB website). Not a huge amount but you should be fine. Forecast is sun every day except Tuesday when there might be a sprinkling of new snow.
snow report
Well today is the day...wonder if hugh4243 kept the original Andorra booking...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy