Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche in Swiss Alps

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/RR3Qb7NcyCM
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that might actually be a landslide Stanton? Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Either way, it's scarily impressive - check out the faultlines under and around the barn at the end!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It isnt an avalanche rolling eyes

Still pretty impressive. When was this and where?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton, your a bit late to the slipping party Very Happy

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89287
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm. Presumably caused by the spring thaw. Begs the question of whether a similar slide would be possible in spring snow conditions, with water from a thaw managing to get down into ground below snow?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, it can and does happen, years ago the railway line below Wengen was cut when a mudslide took out the tracks, that was caused by snow thaw, in the one above however it looks like a very substantial slide, possibly caused by water but also I guess possibly caused by ground conditions or seismic activity, I'm guessing that the slide in the video was triggered by a previous slide which is in evidence at the top of the frame
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

Technically an avalanche doesn't have to be snow, and I think can include rock.

/Semantics
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:

/Semantics

An avalanche DOES have to consist of snow or ice. If its earth and rock, its called a landslide.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If we believe in the Internet the definition of avalanche is "A fall or slide of a large mass, as of snow or rock, down a mountainside", as reported here.

I suppose in most avalanches there will have to be some rock and soil accompanying the fall although we are used to seeing the bottom a heap of mainly the white stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:

/Semantics

An avalanche DOES have to consist of snow or ice. If its earth and rock, its called a landslide.

Nope. An avalanche is a generic term, and can be a landslide or snow avalanche or ice avalanche or mud avalanche.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/avalanche
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Isn't the difference between an avalanche and a slide as much about the movement as the material? Seem to remember soil/rock avalanches were faster than soil/rock slides or something like that.... actually that's probably nonsense - I wasn't a big fan of Geography at school!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
miranda, As I understand it, they are just different names for the same thing. A slow wet snow slide is still termed an avalanche, for instance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A slow slide is a slide or slip.

A fast slide is an avalanche.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999, I actually just went and googled as I was sure I remembered hearing that but couldn't remember whether it was at school or what (I think it must have been a few years ago helping someone cram for her Earth Sciences test in the US). It's just wikipedia so who knows but it says this:

Quote:
A debris avalanche is a type of slide characterized by the chaotic movement of rocks soil and debris mixed with water or ice (or both). They are usually triggered by the saturation of thickly vegetated slopes which results in an incoherent mixture of broken timber, smaller vegetation and other debris. Debris avalanches differ from debris slides because their movement is much more rapid. This is usually a result of lower cohesion or higher water content and commonly steeper slopes. Steep coastal cliffs can be caused by catastrophic debris avalanches. These have been common on the submerged flanks of ocean island volcanos such as the Hawaiian Islands and the Cape Verde Islands.

Movement
Debris slides generally start with big rocks that start at the top of the slide and begin to break apart as they slide towards the bottom. This is much slower than a debris avalanche. Debris avalanches are very fast and the entire mass seems to liquefy as it slides down the slope. This is caused by a combination of saturated material, and steep slopes. As the debris moves down the slope it generally follows stream channels leaving a v-shaped scar as it moves down the hill. This differs from the more U-shaped scar of a slump. Debris avalanches can also travel well past the foot of the slope due to their tremendous speed.
ski holidays
I don't have a physical geography dictionary to hand, but the few geography/geology sites I jsut looked at say that it should be called a slide when one cohesive unit is sliding over another (which I guess would normally be slower due to friction, but that's a secondary point), as opposed to debris flow where it all gets churned up (and presumably moves faster). I can't find any source saying a flow needs to be over a certain speed to be classed as an avalanche, or what that speed should be - basically they seem to define avalanche as a form of 'sudden mass wastage/debris movement,' which could be rocks/snow/whatever, and also (volcanic) pyroclastic flow.

There is some relativity in there, and you couldn't term, say, snowpack creep/glide as an avalanche (really slow), but the one in the video definitely fits the definition, as would (to my mind anyway) late season wet snow slides/avalanches.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
I can't find any source saying a flow needs to be over a certain speed to be classed as an avalanche, or what that speed should be

Yes, I don't think speed was the defining factor but I'm sure the point was that the terms avalanche and slide are not always interchangeable and that it is the movement rather than just material that makes the difference (with the difference affecting speed rather than the difference being speed). Either way, no need to rolling eyes at the OP for calling it an avalanche!
snow conditions
Does it matter? Still a lot of 5hit falling down a hill no matter what it's called. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rolling eyes Here we have a film of half a mountain sliding down a mountain, and snowheads are arguing about whether its called landslide or avalanche rolling eyes
snow report
Can we have a vote on it please? Maybe we'll get a landslide. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
geepee Laughing Laughing

Seems we are making it harder for ourselves.

We can agree that avalanche is a mass of material sliding down from the mountain and it should have snow in it, otherwise we call it landslide if there is only soil, mud and water.

Common sense tells us one layer of snow cam slide over another snow layer due to each snow deposited at different time, weather condition, rate of accumulation and hence different densities and adhesion characteristics.

It is also possible that the entire snow layer could slide over the soil or rock too. This has been quite common in 2012 season when the snow came late when I skied Gstaad, Adelboden, Monte Rosa and Cervinia. Most of them are just cracks opening up the snow layer showing the bare soil.

If we see a bit or rock and soil over a predominantly snow mass everybody would have no problem to call it a avalanche, right?

Now the problem arises if we see mostly soil and rock on top of water, ice and snow.

Are we going to ask the Swiss to dig up the mass to see what portion of it is snow before the term avalanche is assigned?

Why can't we save our breath to call the damn lot avalanche as people before us have done?
ski holidays
Damn it. It's a trickle of rocks people. A TRICKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Skullie NehNeh
latest report
Sorry for finding the question of what makes an avalanche an avalanche and what makes a slide a slide interesting... actually, not sorry as you all post tedious crap on here too.
snow report
The base of the cliff is at 250 meters altitude, it is on the south side of the Swiss Alps, there is no snow or ice there, either at the base or higher up. No permafrost. Nothing remotely icy or snowy.
snow conditions
miranda wrote:
Sorry for finding the question of what makes an avalanche an avalanche and what makes a slide a slide interesting... actually, not sorry as you all post tedious crap on here too.

+1

Don't really get the problem..?

Quote:

We can agree that avalanche is a mass of material sliding down from the mountain and it should have snow in it, otherwise we call it landslide if there is only soil, mud and water.

No, doesn't have to have snow! See:

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl=en&q=rock+avalanche&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 20-05-12 21:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
The base of the cliff is at 250 meters altitude, it is on the south side of the Swiss Alps, there is no snow or ice there, either at the base or higher up. No permafrost. Nothing remotely icy or snowy.

I was just wondering about the height ...
Thank you snowHead
snow conditions
legue,
Yes , i didnt look in that section Puzzled

Loosen up folk , it is a slide! These rock slides happen all year round,

However, this year in the summer the Alps are expected to erode and you will see alot more,
ski holidays
Jesus christ - another six months of this...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:

ski holidays
8611 wrote:

Confused

I really don't understand what the problem is here. I find this stuff interesting, if you don't, maybe don't bother reading, or posting pointless comments. At least this thread is about mountain stuff.

But hey ho.
latest report
Elston wrote:
8611 wrote:

Honestly... I don't get it... what's the problem with people who spend a lot of time in the mountains thinking about whether slides and avalanches are different phenomena and, if so how - especially when one of them is a Geographer?
snow report
clarky999, Laughing cross post
snow conditions
Folks I know the difference between a Lawine & Bergsturz. I put Avalanche to draw attention to the post Happy
latest report
I'm not bemoaning the thread, I'm bemoaning the lack of snow that's leading to the thread. Or rather, since there is apparently fresh snow still, the lack of lifts that are leading to the snow that is leading to the thread. Very Happy

Really I just want to skiing again. Roll on the 'is it to early for the OMG there's no snow' thread 2012 imo.
snow conditions
This is a great thread!

If it wasn't for avalanches, and OP was as safe as Disneyland, it wouldn't be the same. The fact that you risk your life engenders a morbid fascinatiion. I am passing the time to next ski season by reading books about avalanches
snow report
You reckon the owner of that barn will be able to renew his insurance?
snow report
sanman, shouldn't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that barn and the other buildings near it being dismantled and moved elsewhere
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy