Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Etape 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else signed up for the Etape? I'm doing the Alps stage although have left the training very late so not very confident.

Found last year tough and this one looks like a bit of a monster....

the Pyrenees stage doesn't look any easier

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 19-05-12 13:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why aren't the images working?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH, They are not images, you have posted links to PDF files.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've downloaded and converted the pdfs to jpegs for you wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yoda, Brilliant, except I only went and deleted them when rjs pointed out my stupidity.... Oh well
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH, the jpegs are here if you want to post them again wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda, Done. Tks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you haven't got the miles in yet and some serious hill training my technical opinion is that you're screwed. Although if you're mad enough there should be quite a bit of momentum to be carried forward from the top of Tourmalat! Good luck
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some of my Belgian colleagues do it - but then they are all mad.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having done the Marmotte a few years ago, I know how much of a killer that mountain top finish will be. Just pray it's not hot. I have memories of struggling up the Galibier in over 30 degrees. It was horrific
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH, I'm signed up for this Act 1, after being swept up by the broom wagon last year not far short from the summit of the Galibier I am in serious training to complete this years Etape. I am 5-6 kilos lighter than when I returned from the Easter skiing trip and hope to lose another 5-6 kilos before July.

I have also signed up for this in September, http://www.piste2plage.co.uk/ all donations in aid of http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ gratefully received, you can donate here, http://www.bmycharity.com/grahamadams
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've signed up for the 'Coast to Coast' classic through the Pyrenees in September.

Can genuinely say I am more excited by it than anything else I've done in years.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fogliettaz, Piste2plage looks brilliant, well done, go #58 (Marco Simoncelli's number!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, I hadn't noticed it was Simoncelli's number, where can I get a tee shirt in his colours?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fogliettaz, try this............http://www.onpole.com/marco_simoncelli/c362655-1.html......trust you know he lost his life last year, massively talented rider, second only to Vale IMO.

Assume you climb over Col d'Isere, did that from Val a few summers ago, great ride. Enjoy it, would really like to do something like that myself sometime, nice one!
snow conditions
Markymark29, I do know yes, watching MotoGP now is like watching F1 lacking any real personalities. I hope Rossi can get the Ducati up to speed to make it more interesting.

The climbs are, Col d'Iseran, Telegraph, Galibier, Izoard and The Bonette, then its downhill all the way to Juan le Pins!
latest report
Fogliettaz, Impressive commitment there shifting the kg's. Doing the tour du lac leman on Sunday to get things kick started. Reckon this years Etape is much tougher than last year. The profile looks similar but with the small matter of an additional 1500m climb in the middle!!! Was just reading that Chris Hoy did an 8hr Etape stage in 2006 and said it's the hardest thing he ever did.... What with that and the piste2plage you should be on great shape for the ski season!
snow report
I am signed up for it but can't do it due to 3 months off the bike from Acute Prostatitus. Back riding now but put on nearly 2 stone in the 3 months and the amount of fitness I lost is incredible.

Using Strava, which is great fun, to try to get my fitness back. It looks an awesome route.

I hope to do this instead : http://www.labourgui.com/

- cheaper
- easier to get to (cycle down from our apartment in VT)
- The short route is challenging but not at the level of the etape. Down the mountain to moutier , a little loop then back up to Les Menuires. Tough but doable without quite so much training.
snow report
rggdxb wrote:
Quote:

if you haven't got the miles in yet and some serious hill training my technical opinion is that you're screwed. Although if you're mad enough there should be quite a bit of momentum to be carried forward from the top of Tourmalat! Good luck

He'll need a hell of lot of momentum from from the Tourmalet, because he said he was riding the Alpine stage!
snow conditions
I'm number 7582 starting in pen 6.
snow report
I'm not massively into the cycling at the mo but was here for some summer training and can recommend it! http://www.colconquerors.com/

Nice place, good accom and awesome cycling on the Galibier, telegraph and the rest!
snow report
Did anyone do it yesterday? The feedback here was.... OUCH!

Only 4400 finishers I think...
snow conditions
OUCH indeed.....

It all started so well... After a detour to Albertville to collect the dossards and check out the start we hotfooted it over to our Megeve lodgings for a glorious Saturday afternoon chilling by the pool and an evening of stuffing ourselves full of pasta in the local Italian. Megeve rocks!

Alas by Sunday morning the clear skies were a distant memory as we woke to grey skies and drizzle. Breakfast was a sober affair and by the time we set off for Albertville at 5.30 it was pouring. Some foolish souls were riding the 40km from Megeve to the start - would lay a hefty wager that none of them finished...

Albertville was a hive of activity. With a start number of 2848 I was in the third cage which was soon packed with wet cyclists. Phil jumped the barrier to join me and we shivered through the next 30 mins until the start.

The roads through Albertville were dotted with traffic islands, manhole covers and other obstacles and and with thousands of eager cyclists sliding all over the greasy roads it required full concentration to make it safely out of town. After a soggy 15km the rain stopped just in time for the start of the first climb of the day - the Madeleine. A 1600m ascent over 25km the Madeleine was a good warm up for what was ahead. Having bombed it up the first climb last year only to suffer later I was determined to go at an easy pace.

Half way up the Madeleine

First sign of the sun

It was a long frustrating climb as I stuck rigidly to my heart rate monitor target feeling like I was being overtaken by thousands...

After just over 2 hours of climbing the col appeared and after stuffing down some food and water we were soon flying down the other side. Fortunately the roads had dried out as the road wasn't in great shape and many of the hairpins were blind. It was a long descent and my hands went numb with the combination of road vibration, cold and breaking. I can't say I really enjoy the descent. After a few km of flat it was on to the second climb of the day - the Glandon. Another 1500m ascent over 21km this was going to be interesting. The sun was now out and with the temperatures shooting up the lower section was ok.

Then it got steep...

The cows had the right idea cooling off in the river

The suffering had started with increasing numbers now off their bikes...

And then it got worse. The top 2km of the Glandon aka "the Wall".

Fortunately the early pacing had paid off and with granny gears to call on the legs felt ok

The Col du Glandon

Another 2km of 5% up to the Croix de Fer

The descent from the Croix de Fer was a joy. It was now hot, sunny and the road was pretty smooth. I bombed it down trying to put out of mind the climbs to come

After another flat section we were onto the third climb of the day up to the Col du Mollard. A more modest 500m at 6% this wasn't too bad and we we stayed for a couple of minutes at the top to enjoy the pom pom girls

Alas that was the fun was short lived as after the descent we hit the final climb of the day up to the ski resort of La Toussuire. Although less steep than the Glandon at 6% this was another solid 20km climb and the suffering quickly became evident with people lying in ditches and huddling under trees for shade. Remarkably I actually felt better than on the previous climb and started to up the pace a bit. It was nice to overtake a few familiar jerseys and by the top I must have made up a few hundred places. I got a bit carried away racing someone to the finish and ended up with cramp but it was an amazing feeling to finally get over the line. I clocked 9 hours and 22 minute, 3 hours more than I've ever spent on a bike before. Definitely buying a more padded saddle if I do that again. Relieved and exhausted we chilled out on the grass watching a young French rider take the days Tour de France stage on the big screen before hopping back on the bikes and down to St Jean de Maurienne for some food. The Broom wagon was at the bottom of the climb with the cut off time around 12 hours. Out of an anticipated 9000 starters that was good enough for a place around the 2100 mark. Apparently only 4400 made it to the finish but I'm sure the weather meant a few no shows.

Looking forward to watching the pros make it look easy on the ITV4 highlights this evening. It's unbelieveable to imagine the speeds they are able to maintain on the climbs. Lets hope the Sky Train stay at the front. Vive Le Tour!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 14-07-12 12:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
BobinCH, Big respect, over 9 hours in the saddle, most of it climbing, is a long time, 100 mile timetrials are my limit, and they are flat!

pictures look brill

Froome was amazing tonight on the TV

but don't buy a padded saddle, it will prob make it worse!
snow conditions
Well done Bob Very Happy

One day...................
snow report
Well done indeed, great achievement........one day!

carroz, Like you say Froome did brilliantly yesterday, I bet he took some team induced chill-pills after that, just imagine pulling away from Wiggins and being told to get back and follow team orders, he was off!! I know it won't happen but I'd love to see team orders binned and Froome ba able to go for it today.......
snow conditions
Well done, I made over the Madeleine and knew I had not got enough left for another 2 climbs so cycled back to Albertville. That the trouble with training in Essex, no hills!
latest report
BobinCH, well done, I'm sure it's even more gruelling than it looks!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fogliettaz, you did the right thing - some people who were swept up were stuck on buses for hours and hours. Huge respect for anyone brave enough to have given it a go (one of our guests has done it loads of times and says its the hardest he's ever done) and congratulations BobinCh!
snow report
Guy who works for me did this and came in somewhere in the 4000s. He found it much harder than previous years' routes. He just finished, but many didn't. 10 hours in the saddle, 7 on climbs. Eeeeek.

miranda wrote:
Fogliettaz, you did the right thing - some people who were swept up were stuck on buses for hours and hours.

Yes, he said one of the guys in his group didn't make it back into town until late evening!
snow conditions
Had a night mare - had to pack only 13km from the summit and 600m vertical to go http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/etape.html it was the heat that did for me on the last climb.

I then cycled from La Tania on Thursday back up Madeleine then back down to 3km from the summit where I waited for the Tour to come through - and then afterwards I cycled back up to La Tania!

And managed this little snap of Cav, though as you can see was not best pleased to see me from the looks of things Smile

I'm also putting together a little video of the day as I got some good GoPro of the day.

Also did a one other ride on the Wednesday, as well as nicking a morning's skiing on the Glacier at Tignes, Tuesday morning!
latest report
BobinCH, I don't know anything about cycling, any more than I know anything about the kind of skiing that you do, but as always, I hugely enjoyed your TR and photos. Congratulations on what looks like a very impressive achievement. Very Happy
snow report
Thanks for the comments.

It was certainly tougher than last year...
152km vs 109km
5000m ascent vs 3200m
Over 9 hrs vs under 6 hrs

But interestingly I reckon tactics are as important as fitness. I was fitter last year but better pacing and nutrition resulted in a better place this time.
snow conditions
Fantastic effort from all the Snowheads who had a go snowHead Living in the fens where the only gradients are man made I can't even imagine how hard it is.
ski holidays
Quote:
Guy who works for me did this and came in somewhere in the 4000s. He found it much harder than previous years' routes. He just finished, but many didn't. 10 hours in the saddle, 7 on climbs. Eeeeek.

It doesn't look that hard - only 152km. Looking at the profiles the other E-tape du Tour in the Pyrenees looks a lot harder - 201km over four [bigger] mountains! Anyone riding them both? Would be interested to hear which they thought was the hardest/best.
snow report
jellylegs, do you throw tacks on roads as well to wind people up Smile

Like I said in my blog, two guys I did Act 1 with had done six to seven Etapes before and they said this was the toughest by far - anyway Davidof is the expert on these things, maybe he'll give his two cents worth...........

Anyway this Forum isn't a full on Bike Sportive Forum, go over to BikeRadar http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12807742&start=260

if you really want to see if people are doing both and the Marmotte,this was from some guy (hero) that did Marmotte and Etape......

Surprised with how I did, 6hrs 26min which was 39th overall and that was after the Marmotte the day before. My legs felt like two blocks of lead on the Madeleine so not sure what happened really.

Any way bet he didn't go skiing Laughing
snow report
jellylegs wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't look that hard - only 152km. Looking at the profiles the other E-tape du Tour in the Pyrenees looks a lot harder - 201km over four [bigger] mountains! Anyone riding them both? Would be interested to hear which they thought was the hardest/best.

Both are tough rides. It's the climbs rather than the length which hurt.....
latest report
Quote:
jellylegs, do you throw tacks on roads as well to wind people up

I'm not winding anyone up! I was just making an observation based on the two route profiles submitted by the OP, and noting that it is quite a short stage for the TDF.

Anyway, I admire your efforts and congratulate you on your achievement. Same goes for other SH's who completed the route.
latest report
Nothing but 'respect' from me for anyone that did that - from me for whom 7 miles on the flat is an effort!
ski holidays
It's a pretty uninformed comment by jellylegs. I had to pull out this year due to sickness earlier in the year but it was clear that both Acts this year were one of the hardest ever. You can see that by the really small number of finishers despite reasonable weather conditions. Well done to all who finished.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy