Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone been on a Warren Smith ski course?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been on one of Warren's courses in Verbier and wants to comment on it, share their experience? I'm thinking of taking one in a couple of weeks and am after some inside info on what they're like. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help G - but would be interested to hear your feedback if you do go. Might be interesting to compare to IYS - a report here: http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=462
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems that MaggyK has been on one - she comments on her experience in another thread... Verbier ski pass prices?!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
G-Rock

Did you go on Warren's course?

I've just booked a course in Saas Fee in July & was interested in your comments.

Warren's also running afternoon courses at Xscape Milton Keynes on the 6th, 13th 20th & 27th May if anyone's interested.

Jon
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jon,

Can you let us know how you get on? I'm doing the course in September so I'm curious to hear what it's like.

Alan
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No problem Alan
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Deb has been on the Warren Smith classes at Milton Keynes over the last three Thursday afternoons, with her final session on the 27th. She has really come on. I've done the last two & can hopefully also make it on the 27th.

Warren is a great guy & is an excellent teacher, giving clear explanations &, as you would expect, superb demonstrations. Class size is limited to 8 which works well for group explanations etc but also allows for one to one analysis due to the time it takes to return back up the slope on the poma. What I've found very useful for me is the practice drills I have learnt, inparticular one to increase ankle flex, to help me move to the next level.

The only negative on the class cannot be blamed on Warren. The condition of the MK slope on all 3 of the classes so far can only be descibed as crap. Very icey, bumpey & with deeper soft snow down the edges of the run. No sign of it being bashed at all. This certainly adversely effected the progress of Deb & I.

This is in stark contrast to the excellent Castleford slope that we skied on recently. As they're operated by the same company I can only put the condition of the MK slope down to bad management.

Many of the pupils have attended Warren's classes before, especially at Verbier & Saas Fee, & they're still coming back for more! A number of the class were already BASI instructors.

I just can't wait to get out to Saas Fee in July.

Jon
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for that Jon - it's impressive that BASI instructors are coming back for more tuition. Don't forget to let us know how you get on in July.

I can't work out whether I'm looking forward to September or if I'm dreading it!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, I'd be interested to know what the ankle flex drill was.
I think its the main thing thats holding me back.
Could you elaborate on it?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
markP,

It's a lot easier to demo than explain but I'll do my best.

The object of the exercise was to reduce knee bend, which makes you sit back on your skis, and replace it with ankle flex to keep you over the sweet spot of the skis. This dramatically increases control for all skiing.

Start on level ground, & using your poles as stabilising 'outriggers', lift one leg up, keeping the ski horizontal until your thigh is horizontal. Now flex the ankle of your standing leg forwards and back upright again, maximising the movement in your boot. You'll look & feel like your bobbing up & down, but the movement must be from ankle flex & not from bending the knee of the standing leg, although there will obviously be a slight bit of knee bend. By inceasing the tempo & effort the 'spring effect' from the ankle flex, boot & ski allows you to hop. The first drill, still on the level, is to make a 180 turn in say three or four hops. Make sure you turn in a direction towards the raised leg, ie, if you're raising your right leg then turn clockwise. Ensure that it's the spring from the ankle flex that gives you the momentum/lift & that your not just jumping. Swap legs & repeat the exercise turning the opposite way. I'ts best if you do two or three ankle flexes to build up momentum before you start hopping around.

Drill two. Once you've mastered that then it's off to the slope & repeat. Start by standing across the slope & raise your downhill ski. Do two or three ankle flexes, building up the momentum to then hop around 180 degrees without traversing across the slope, either forwards or backwards. The real hard bit is that as your supporting ski crosses the fall line the natural reaction is to reduce the ankle flex, add knee flex which puts your weight to the rear of the skis & slide down the slope, unable to complete the turn. Keep trying, both ways, until mastered.

Drill three is as drill two but without the hops. Again do two or three flexes to build momentum but then just spin around on the supporting ski. If you maintain your ankle flex, with your weight over the middle of the ski you can do the 180 turn without any lateral movement across the slope & by only moving down the slope about one metre. The feeling of control is great.

One final tip. The less you raise your non standing ski off the ground the harder it is, so raise it as high as possible, getting your thigh horizontal.

The ultimate is seeing Warren demo drill four. Back on the level, both feet/skis on the ground & together. Again by using ankle flex to keep his weight over the middle of his skis, Warren uses his poles to spin smoothly right around on the spot through 360 degrees.

When I started this I could'nt do drill one at all. It's taken me nearly two hours of practice at this over three sessions & I've just about cracked drill three. Steep narrow couloirs here I come but more practise needed for drill four.

Hope this makes sense.

Jon
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been on a couple of WS courses in Verbier (April 2003) and Saas Fee (July 2003) and will be back this July in Saas Fee.

Warren is a top guy and he has a 1st class team. The groups are always small and normally excercises are broken down into even smaller groups (2-4) while Warren and his team check progress and give feedback; you are encouraged to give feedback to your partner(s) which helps you concentrate more on the process. There are a range of excercises for different types of skiing and / or body parts; as well as free skiing. The premise is to improve your skiing and make you an all mountain skier (freeride).

There's a lot of empthasis on fun (on and off the slopes) as well as the dreaded video feedback. He also encourages you to work on stretching (warm up and down) to improve flexibility.

As Spyderjon says, a lot of people come back again and again.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Deb & I got back yesterday after a week at the WS Saas Fee 'clinic'.

Just one comment - terrific! Warren, Jamie & Mel were excellent & the course followed the format Red Dave mentioned above.

Our fellow delegates were also a great bunch with abilities ranging from just a couple of weeks snow time (us) to instructors.

For us the week has certainly laid down the correct foundations to improve our skiing immensely.

We'll certainly be going again & in the meantime we'll be practising all the drills at Castleford & our new 'ski fit' exercise regime.

Plenty of fun off the slopes too, mostly to do with Red Dave. I'll give him the opportunity of posting first before I ditch the dirt Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jon, good to have the opportunity to meet you and Deb last week and have a great time on and off the slopes. I hope you were both out in the garden hopping and jumping around looking extremely gay!

Generally better snow than last year, despite an enforced non ski day due to slope closure. Not that Warren allowed us to rest - he rescued the day with some impromtu ski type excercises with hillarious video feedback!

As Jon says we had a great group and a lot of fun was had, on snow, in various bars, and introducing the sport of blindfolded summer luge to Saas Fee.

Warren and the team come up trumps again...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red Dave, Warren registered here but has yet to post.... perhaps as you and spyderjon have skied with him you could persuade him to join in now and again, I'm sure his contributions would be much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for that, Jon & Dave.

Just over 2 months until I go. I think it's time to start getting fit Shocked
latest report
PG wrote:
Red Dave, Warren registered here but has yet to post.... perhaps as you and spyderjon have skied with him you could persuade him to join in now and again, I'm sure his contributions would be much appreciated!

He's a busy guy I guess, he registered after I mentioned it to him.
snow report
PG, as ise says he is a very busy guy - instructing (Verbier, Saas Fee, UK), film-making (Snow's in the House, etc.); organising Verbier Ride & Saas Fee Ride; he always seems to be on the move.

Anyone looking for tips could do worse than check out his instruction DVD / videos - avaiable on his website (www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com) or via the SCGB. There's some free technique advice from Warren and others (including video) on www.ifyouski.com/Technique/home/

Alan, it would be well worth checking this out before you go to get an idea (if you haven't seen the DVDs). You'll get more out of it if you are fit. Have a great time, I'm sure you will - I'd be back again this year if I had any holiday left!
ski holidays
Cheers Dave. I've already got the DVDs and will probably be studying them continuously before I go!

What was the general fitness level like? I'll definitely be running and doing various exercises to strengthen my thigh muscles etc. But I don't usually go too mad - should I be thinking of getting very fit for this?
ski holidays
Alan, there was a range of fitness levels. And there were a couple of mornings where not everyone was at their best! In general I would say the fitter you are, the more you are likely to get out of it. You don't need to be hyper fit, but remember the altitude will have quite an effect if you are not used to it.

It sounds like you should be fine; probably a good idea to throw in a few stetching excercises too, you'll find that'll help.
snow conditions
Thanks! I'll get practicing with my drinking as well.
snow report
That'll certainly help - we had a few serious off-piste drinkers that could even leave an old hand like me flailing...
latest report
An old threat revived! Any one been on a course recently? How much skiing do you get to do or is it drills all day?
ski holidays
radar wrote:
An old threat revived! Any one been on a course recently? How much skiing do you get to do or is it drills all day?

Depends on your level, a bit. They start at 10:30 at top and finish 3ish. So time for Free ski.
If you are in one of the more able groups there will be some off piste skiing, especially if good snow. However it will still be tutored. I'm a big fan. He has a great team of instructors and I have used him the take my patients back skiing. (You ll see detailed on his site)
latest report
radar, near 9 year old thread revival Shocked we're in record territory here.
snow report
Masque, I am rather pleased with my self for having managed to find it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Jonathan Bell, thanks for the note have booked
snow conditions
I took one a couple of years ago... was coming back from the 'dark side, and discovered what little ski technique I had was lost.
I'd strongly recommend it, and would (and probably will) do another. biggest plus is that I got some really solid foundation techniques to use, and over the course of the week got them down to 'unconscious competence'.... and it's supported a significant increase in my ski ability.
It _does_ of course depend on which instructor you get, like any course.... I managed to fluke getting into a sufficiently high groupt to get a BASI 4 instructor, and IMHO the difference between 3 and 4 is significant. (was with a BASI 4 on snoworks last month, and again, quality and breadth of instruction noticeably better).

IIRC, prob half the day doing 'drills'.... but you will get the chance to use them. It is more of an 'instructional' holiday, than a 'holiday with instruction'..... I'm glad I went when there were NOT too many tempting pistes open...
ski holidays
radar, I'd done none in 2004, but have been on a few of the courses now.

I'm sold on it and as I've got better I've found that we rarely do drills at all. And usually I'm skiing near the limit of my ability for much of the day so I'm pretty knackered by the 3.00pm finish time.

What course did you book.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
radar, yes, well done for using this thread rather than starting a new one - an interesting read. Been doing those ankle flex exercises in my head, as I read the post by spyderjon.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Been doing those ankle flex exercises in my head

I think you might be doing it wrong. Laughing
snow report
I'm looking at doing one of these in Verbier in a couple of weeks time. I'm unsure what group to put myself in......if you get it wrong do they regroup you?

I'd maybe qualify for the 'advanced' group in the sense that I can ski down most things ok, but I don't know whether to play it safer and go for Advanced Intermediate as I'm sure my technique is terrible having never had any formal lessons....a friend taught me to snowplough back in the day....
ski holidays
Whitters, don't worry what you put down. There's a standard ski school "ski off" on the first day Cool
snow conditions
Did a Saas Fee one in early Sept 2010. Limitations of glacier lift system meant that we really did concentrate on drills rather than skiing around a resort as on a winter course. So glacier course is more concentrated and we skied 0800 - 1300 with no breaks, sarnie on towbar! Lift system shut at 1400, so an hour of free skiing. I kept notes of the tips and drills and often refer back to the various points. Different slant to skiing and more technical points than a Snoworks course. In comparison, I found Snoworks to concentrate more on the idea of flexible, independent leg motion and control of speed through moving snow. Both courses emphasised focus, concentration and being emotionally prepared to get on with difficult and challenging terrain and conditions.
Recommend doing both.
latest report
Thanks for the advice
snow conditions
Whitters, just back, don't worry about your ability they will sort out your level in the ski off, no matter what you say your level is.
snow report
Thanks radar, how did you find the course??
latest report
Brilliant, I thought I was at a reasonable level but they found all my little faults! Doing the bumps was intresting especially doing turns virtually on the spot, it was challenging, frustrating, but one of the best skiing experiences I have ever had. When you go say high to Rob and just tell him George said he's an awsome skier Laughing

A bit of advice don't be late, they meet outside the Olympic at 10.00 however the instructors will be inside the self service restaurant on the left having a coffee from 09:45, look for green jackets blue trousers. The course runs 10 to 3 with a day off on Wednesday to practise your skills, lunch was never more that 45 min, the day will fly past and you will be knackered, but in a good way.

One guy on the course with me had skied for 20 years, and thought he was ok, until he did a course in the summer and he has booked two more, it can be addictive, am thinking of booking another one for next season.
ski holidays
You could send an email to this guy asking how he got on with Jordan, one of Warren's guys, who was giving him private lessons a couple of weeks ago:

Prince.Harry@BuckHouse.co.uk
snow report
rungsp, or ask Beatrice or Eugine what theythink of Fiona.
ski holidays
radar, Thanks, course now booked, just have to find accommodation now......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy