Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort near Salzburg in early to mid december

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello! I'm currently planning a weekend break in early/mid Dec to Salzburg with my girlfriend for Christmas markets and associated wintery things... and since I'd be in the area thought might tack on a bit of skiing for the week (or a few days) following that weekend. So I'm probably looking at skiing around Dec 10 to 14 - or maybe 17 to 21.

Experience wise - I'm a relative beginner - I spent a week in Morzine in March and loved it - and am now a bit obsessed by planning my next trip. Have been to Hemel twice since and have been aiming to make it once a month so far. And probably do one of the insideout building confidence things. Probably a 5 on their 'what's my level' guide.

Is there anywhere that people would particularly recommend? Googling has led me to consider Schladming or potentially Kaprun which seem to open quite early - but not sure how they would suit my level or snowiness.

Suggestions/thoughts appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
driz, you should add Obertauern to your list it's high and get's good snow early http://www.obertauern.com/en/winter/home.html

Kitzteinhorn will almost certainly be open as it's a glacier. http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/news/ But as it's a glacier it can be a little limited.

Schladming is great for beginners (though you may want to get the lift down at the end of the day) and has lots of great mountain restaurants in amongst the trees.

http://www.schafalm.at/de/schafalm-winter/ueber-uns.php
http://www.onkelwillyshuette.at/

It's lower though which is worth keeping in mind. That said I've had terrific skiing there in December.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depending on snow, Saalbach. Similar to Morzine in that there's loads of easy cruisy pistes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obertauern should be safer if the early snow is not so good. Good apres and views as well.
If the snow is good, lots of options, Schladming is brilliant, Saalbach even better.
Flachau or Wagrain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
driz, I went to my place in Flachau last year around the time (15th - 17th) you are looking at, there was plenty of snow, although the week before it was looking tricky and of course past performance is no indicator of future performance, but if my place doesn't get booked I'm certainly looking to get out there myself again this year. I would suggest you look at yoru later dates rather than earlier as some resorts aren't open till then and you stand a better chance of the snow coming.

Flachau is easy to get to from salzburg - about 45 mins down the motorway
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, Obertauren, Schladming, Saalbach (and of course Kitzsteinhorn) should all be open by 10-14 December snow allowing and bar 2006/7 all have had plenty of snow at that time of year in the last five years. Even then I was skiing in Obertauern and Kitzsteinhorn in early December.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen, indeed; I wasn't suggesting that the places you mentioned woudl not be open, but there are resorts in the area might not be open till 15th.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the suggestions - at this stage I'm leaning toward Obertauern for safer early snow. It seems pretty easy to get to and will have more than enough skiing for me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Driz, Good choice, Obertauern is a reliable snow resourt, typically relicable in early season, and It will be open..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy