Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evolution 2 La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

we are thinking about going to La Rosiere for new year and for various reasons are looking at using Evolution 2. From other posts I can see that Evo 2 get good feedback, but I am wondering if they will be able to accommodate my daughter who will be five by then. She has her ESF Ourson badge and skis once a week at the dry slope. If we were using ESF, we would put her into Flocon or even Premier Etoile. I was thinking that Yeti 1 was appropriate for her, but the website says that this is for 6 year olds upwards.

Does anyone know how the Evo 2 levels compare with the ESF ones (I'm also thinking about my son who has got his Premier Etoile) and if Yeti 1 is the correct level for my daughter, whether they would let her join that class given that she's 'underage'?

Thanks

Rachel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rachelharrisonsmith, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

My two boys have been with Evo 2 on 2 separate occasions. Both times I was very happy with them. Let the instructors judge your childrens ability ? They can always move up or down a class after the first morning ??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for replying.

I'm not bothered about the group that my daughter is put in per se, but I don't want to use Evo 2 if she can't be moved up a group (as I think is likely) because she is too young. From reading the levels, I think that the Petit Yeti level is a bit basic for her but Yeti 1, which I think would be more appropriate is for 6 years and up. I don't want her to be constrained by her age. We've used ESF at La Rosiere before and if we decide to use them, we'll book her into Flocon and let the instructors decide - its easy there as there is no age distinction!

The reasons for thinking about Evo 2 was the smaller class size as we are expecting ESF to be very busy at New Year, but I think that my daughter would be happier out on the slopes in a big class rather than stuck in the ski garden.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rachelharrisonsmith, I see your point - I think you'd do best to telephone them and get the information from the horse's mouth! But there might not be anyone around at the moment.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rachelharrisonsmith, what Timberwolf says. Ski school will move according to ability once they have seen her ski and seen that she is strong enough for an older group. Maybe have a word with the instructor on the first morning (get there a few mins early as a busy time when they are gathering and organising new groups).
ESF have a good reputation in La Rosiere but beware as the classes can be very large. I think I would rather my child was in a smaller group (ie less than eight) where she was getting more attention than a large group. Have a look at the ESF class sizes when you are out - it's not uncommon to see groups of well over 10 youngsters at peak times. Sometimes with two instructors, often one Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rachelharrisonsmith, Ok, I understand a bit more now. I think it may help if I add that both my boys started
Off very young and so their ability didn't really fit with the age structure of the classes
Whilst I wanted them to get the most from their lessons, I think it's
also important to remember that they should enjoy it, and if that means being with children their own age / strength
rather than ability then do be it.
Relax, and have a fab holiday Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went to La Rosiere at New Year a few years ago and my son did ESF Flocon in Les Eucharts area. He ended up in group of 8 (all English speaking) and had a good week there.
A couple of years later we were in a different resort and my daughter (then 5) and of petite stature did ESF one star classes but was too short to get on the chair lift unaided so the teacher said she was too young/small to get the 1 star award. So you may encounter certain restrictions with the ESF too.

In our experience there is more flexibility in terms of moving up classes during the week with ESI ski schools (assume Evo 2 is ESI) partly due to the smaller group sizes. Both ESF and Evolution 2 offer a lessons plus lunch option in La Rosiere (I think). I would recommend this as it gives you a bit more time to get to la thuile and back. The ESF club in Les Eucharts is newish and purpose built.

We really enjoyed our holiday in La Rosiere. I'm sure you will have a great time whichever ski school you opt for.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We booked Evo 2 last year for the kids during half term, we were very excited at the prospect of them trying out (for the first time other than a trip to the US) a school other than the ESF. Sadly the admin lady in their office messed up our booking and whilst I had an email confirming our booking the school did not have my 2 children booked in, they were quite apologetic but I was not the only family to have this problem. We were squeezed into the ESF who were absolutely the best ESF I have ever experienced, great teachers, my kids both had a great time. The ESF were also strict about class sizes. Watching the EVO 2 teaching it also looked of a good standard. Nice place La Rosiere, although this has been covered elsewhere ! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

who were absolutely the best ESF I have ever experienced

Yes, I can echo that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rachelharrisonsmith, we have used both esf and evo2 in la ros, about 6 and 7 years ago now, so may not be that relevant anymore, but without doubt esf were better. Evo 2 were fine, but my daughter just had so much more fun with esf, she could not wait to get back to her class in the morning. It was also better organised than evo2. Class size was 9 with esf and 10 with evo2.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You're right to check. It won't just be skiing ability that determines which class they go in, but also attitude, independence, physical strength, and ability to do things like (as mentioned above) use a chairlift. Age is often used as a proxy for these things, which isn't very reliable, and I'd be amazed if they wouldn't move the child up a group just because they weren't old enough if all the other factors were OK.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all your input.

Timberwolf, I'm encouraged by what you say about your boys being very young and still getting the appropriate classes. It seems a very rigid rule to enforce and common sense would suggest that there would be scope for children younger than 6 to go into the age 6+ classes, but you never know....!

Ideally, I would phone for a chat with them, but we want to book in the next couple of weeks and as Pam_w says, there may not be anyone about, so I thought that I'd try here first (cheaper, too!)

The children have skied with ESF at Les Eucherts twice before and had good experiences both times (and I've had private lessons and had a great time) but the numbers at new year do worry me and ESF are running truncated lessons, hence Evo 2.

We are also looking at Oz-en-Oisans and Val-Cenis and this has given me food for thought on whether ESF is the best choice at busy times. I'll start looking at the ESI ski schools in those resorts as well.

Thanks!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rachelharrisonsmith, No problem at all. If you need any more info on La Rosiere feel free to ask or use the search function - it's possibly the most talked about resort on here due to a number of reasons.

Amusing anecdote - my eldest got bumped from a ski lesson when he was 5 because they asked him if he could manage a 'Poma' lift on his own, and because he didn't know what one was, he told them no. He was bumped back up within an hour after they had seen him ski and he realised that they were talking about a drag lift !!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rachelharrisonsmith, You could find ib La Rosiere that EVO2 is busier than the ESF at new Year because they handle all the classes for Ski Espirit, at busy times they engage ESF instructors for their groups.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy