Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The slushnuts world's best ski areas thread

Poster: A snowHead
OK so it's a bit Philkeithish but as a bit of fun nominate your contenders for world's best ski areas:

Mine in no particular order

St Anton/Arlberg. - Genuine breadth, challenging terrain, extensive skiing, relatively well connected. Gormleys to clang with your ski poles

La Grave - Real skiing for better or worse at its finest.

Whistler Blackcomb - Big for NA, diverse, gets epic storms (at a price of wet & alpine closures).

Mt Baker - epitomy of a core skier's/boarder's mountain. No frills (or safety bars) but really friendly and heaps of snow without the crowds. There are no tourists (ok not strictly true as I can think of at least 3 of us).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-05-12 22:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aspen/ snowmass , snow quality and empty slopes

Espace Killy , unlimited off piste options , long season

Zermatt , some of the longest top to bottom runs and pretty good food

Iscghl / silvretta best lift system bar non, massive mellow lift served off piste opportunities
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glencoe Close and great

Serre Che Friendly varied and great off piste

Chamonix Scenery

Ischgl see post above

Davos Wonderful off piste and variety of areas

The above are personal favourites rather than attempt at world best 'cos the best depends so much on what its best for.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not have rule everyone must say how many diffeerent areas they have been or where they don't like. These threads always seem to turn into people pushoing the they are familiar with. Also areas like Espace Killy, you want to have been at least 3 weeks to understand what it offers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been quite a lot of places but can't really think of anywhere I don't like except maybe Chill Factore because it was the worst value for money I've ever had in skiing and the brattish behaviour of the race kids.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arlberg - you know why.

Nordkette - tiny locals area, super friendly, lifty's husky is fun to play with, some ace steep terrain, no worries about gapers skiing into you as everyone is better than you, two mins up the road from gf's flat, a whole city to apres in.

Westendorf - pretty small and mainly easy skiing area, but have such a good time with family/friends, know it better than the back of my hand = plenty of pow stashes and secret lines to hit

Saalbach - seasonnaire/worker crew is always brilliant, bar staff really look after you, one of the most fun and friendly villages imaginable, not much competition for freshies.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Killy Espace for OP

Vail for Americans

Courchevel for chic

La Grave for natural

Wengen for the race
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arlberg
Espace Killy

Certianly the best 2 I've been to
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Punta Hellbronner (except not any more now they have replaced the lift...)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Espace Killy. Has everything.

Banff for the scenery.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have been to Zermatt and i wasn't a huge fan of the area. I found the lift system to get up to the top slow and the skiing areas disjointed. Yes there is good and plenty of skiing but I think there are better areas at least IMO
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ, +1
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Piccadilly,

Banff / Sunshine / Lake Loiuse / Norquay is the most fantastic scenery. Just like the Alps only bigger, and goes on for ever! I could move tomorrow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serre che cos it's hone
La Grave cos it's awesome
Banff cos it's Canada
Wengen for the Eiger
Murren for the Schilthorn
Flaine cos I learnt to ski there
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't know about best, but strictly considering the skiing Paradiski has a little bit of everything for everyone:
Gentle off-piste
Awesome off-piste
Miles of cruising
High altitude
Tree-lined runs
Lots of itineraries
Big vertical
Snowparks
latest report
Japan for The snow

Glencoe for the off piste

Trios valleys for a bit of everything to suit all

The arlberg for the off piste

Zinal for the lack of people and easy skinning to get fresh
snow report
Not sure about individual resorts, but I tend to think in terms of Valleys. These have made the biggest impression on me:

Val d'Aran - A beautiful valley in the Spanish Pyrenees with Baqueira Berret the key resort where the off piste allegedly ran on the American model. No queues, few Brits. A strong local ski touring scene or cheap heli skiing if you don't fancy the walk. Easy access to ski area's in France and Spain. Cheap coffee and cake, too many languages.

Valle d'Aosta - Lovely. Resorts of all flavors within 40mins of Aosta with Pila a cable car ride away if you don't fancy driving plus easy access to France and Switzerland. Cheap coffee and cake, lovely Italians.

Fort William - Sweet for Glencoe and Nevis. The sprint from Glasgow to Fort William is as amusing as the skiing. Glencoe for atmosphere, Nevis for scale. Less good for coffee and cake.
snow conditions
Tukino.
Because you need a real 4x4 to get there so it keeps away the idiots
Because it has nutcrakers so keeps away the idiots
Sort of place that's easy to get snowed in at
Great place to stay over night in real lodges.
Great spot for getting lots of fresh lines and great base for touring around Mt Ruapehu.
When the Preacher was designed I had Tukino in mind.

http://www.tukino.co.nz/
snow conditions
Red Mountain BC for the great snow, friendly locals and amazing terrain snowHead
ski holidays
I have a problem picking a favourite as I like variety but I get withdrawal symptoms if it goes too long without returning to the following:
Lech/Zurs for the feeling of indulgence, the White Ring and you can ski St Anton.
Sella Ronda for the scenery and pasta.
Vail for the back bowls, trees, bbq and the civil natives.
Wengen/Murren because its different; no cars and commute the mountain by train.
Aspen because its Shangri-la.
EK ans 3V for sheer size.
ski holidays
10-15 years ago the place to claim to have skied for the terrain was Craigieburn, is it still popular?
ski holidays
T Bar, Craigieburn, Olympus and Broken river still rock. Excellent places for adventure and nut cracker accessed back country.
latest report
Dot., nutcracker?
ski holidays
clarky999,
The rope tows they operate in the NZ clubfields, you grab a very fast moving rope with something resembling a nutcracker to be towed up the hill.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy