Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pants

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got some NorthFace 'Freestyle' pants earlier this year, but have lost enough weight from being active that I need to get something smaller (YAY!) not just for the waist, but I found they are a little long in the leg to account for my earlier girth.

What's the general concensus on pants? I used to use shells with thermals underneath, but found they weren't warm enough in really cold conditions, hence chosing the Freestyle as they are insulated.

I'm wondering, tho, what might be good to wear underneath outer shell pants apart from just thermal base layers. Tracksuit bottoms and the like just don't seem right not least because they are often cotton based as well as being too long and rucking up on the top of the boots. I've yet to see a 3/4 length, insulated "capri' pant for wearing under shells while skiing. I'm almost at the point of making something myself from a lightweight fleece.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought a pair of these to go under my shell trousers. Haven't worn them in anger yet though.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/trekmates-microfleece-mens-trousers-p131916
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a couple of pairs of three quarter length warm fleece mid/baselayers made by Peak Performance which are perfect under a shell on cold days.
Seem to be sold out online so you may have to wait until next season unless you can find a pair in a shop somewhere
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want something really toasty then look for some made from Polartec Powerstretch. I find this material really warm and is so stretchy that I can just bunch my full-length leggings around the top of my boots.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=powerstretch+pants
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feef, Why not get some lightly insulated ski trousers? I've skied from -20 to +20 in such trousers and it has been fine. Thigh vents are important for when it warms up......
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
feef, OK not trying to spam or anything, but! Embarassed

I have used the Ortovox hard shell pants with Merino insulation for the last two seasons, with a medium or light weight merino base 3/4 layer they are good for -25 to plus 20 and they don't get into your boots.
OK we sell them but after 30 years of other pants would not go back to anything else, not cheap and have sold out for this season so, I don't feel like I am spamming to much!!!!!!!!

There are other makes on the market as well, which are cheaper than Ortovox gear, my lad goes through a pair of insulated pants every season, cos he likes them baggy, I keep telling him that its false economy but hey what do Dads know rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sweet protection saviour bottoms are excellent on sale online
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sweet protection saviour bottoms are excellent on sale online
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski wrote:
feef, OK not trying to spam or anything, but! Embarassed

I have used the Ortovox hard shell pants with Merino insulation for the last two seasons, with a medium or light weight merino base 3/4 layer they are good for -25 to plus 20 and they don't get into your boots.
OK we sell them but after 30 years of other pants would not go back to anything else, not cheap and have sold out for this season so, I don't feel like I am spamming to much!!!!!!!!

There are other makes on the market as well, which are cheaper than Ortovox gear, my lad goes through a pair of insulated pants every season, cos he likes them baggy, I keep telling him that its false economy but hey what do Dads know rolling eyes

No spam taken. It's good to see I wasn't off my rocker in what I was looking for. Thanks

Is this what you mean?
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/ss08479pantsmen/SubProducts/ss08479pantsmen-0006

a
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef, I've always had shell pants with a pair of old Ron Hills on standby in case it gets nippy.

This year I got a new pair; shell again, but with a lining. Only one trip in warm weather so far, but the quality seems really good. They're Sweet Dissident; Snow and Rock have em in the sales still
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feef wrote:
I got some NorthFace 'Freestyle' pants earlier this year, but have lost enough weight from being active that I need to get something smaller (YAY!) not just for the waist, but I found they are a little long in the leg to account for my earlier girth.

What's the general concensus on pants? I used to use shells with thermals underneath, but found they weren't warm enough in really cold conditions, hence chosing the Freestyle as they are insulated.

I'm wondering, tho, what might be good to wear underneath outer shell pants apart from just thermal base layers. Tracksuit bottoms and the like just don't seem right not least because they are often cotton based as well as being too long and rucking up on the top of the boots. I've yet to see a 3/4 length, insulated "capri' pant for wearing under shells while skiing. I'm almost at the point of making something myself from a lightweight fleece.

Icebreaker merino 3/4 leg thermals are fantastic, come to just above ski boots and are the mutts nuts in terms of versatile base layer. Not cheap, but mine are now on their 4th season with no sign of wear.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy