Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar to Geneva!

Poster: A snowHead
It's a plan at the moment, but what potential for the UK ski market
http://www.connexionfrance.com/Eurostar-new-destinations-Lyon-Marseille-view-article.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin, That would be good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well it might be good, but may be of little use unless the trains arrive at reasonable times we shall have to wait and see I guess
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've always wanted to "do" it by train, but frankly the idea of putting it all together, and crossing Paris, puts me off. The other problem is that train times are not released until about 90 days before, and sell out immediately, so if you don't get a ticket it may be too late to get a flight.

Did i not also read somewhere that SNCF bookings open at midnight local time, so by the time it is midnight here, Parisians have had an hour to book everything up? France for the French, 'twas always thus.

But the ability to go straight through from London to Geneva sounds great, only hope I live that long Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also worth bearing in mind that Deutsche Bahn are currently bidding to run high speed trains from London to Germany and other European destinations. They are hoping to have services in place by the end of 2013.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dec 2013 is what I've heard for London-Brussels-Cologne-Frankfurt. Shame it doesn't carry on to Munich.

No idea about London-Geneva though.

Both services would be very handy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sanman: for a solution that avoids all those problems (and I'm really not sure that you're right about some of them - I've never failed to book a train ticket due to them selling out for example) use the direct Eurostar to the Tarentaise valley.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, Friends of mine with apartments in Samoens commute from Paris down to Bellegarde and then either get a lift or hire a car which although close to Geneva is a direct fast train which avoids the commute through central Geneva. Unless you're keen to go via Geneva as I am, then avoiding it may be a better option for you?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 15-05-12 16:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jivebaby, I have dropped my husband off at Bellegarde to take the train - he went up to Le Havre when he had to take a ferry during the dreaded ash cloud.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't get it - Geneva is good for access to some Swiss resorts etc but ironically probably means you'd be back at GVA waiting for a shuttle from Chamexpress/Mountain Dropoffs etc for many French places. A train that went through to Martigny, Sierre and the possible superstation under Andermatt might be interesting though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, What they were talking about was 4 hours and a bit non stop to central Geneva, which to my mind coupled with the proposed 45 min train to Cham would be rather fun.

But does nothing for the upper Valais, or Graubunden for instance.

What it really does is what TrainEurope is trying to achieve which is useful, high-speed train travel across Europe, replacing flights where practical.

I think that's on the whole more environmentally friendly, isn't it? Like a prius, I am not sure however!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, How do you get a 45 min train to CHX when you've got the cog railway to deal with? I like the concept of high speed continental rail travel ex St Pancreas but looks like airlines will have the edge on price for a bit longer yet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where trains have an advantage over the cheap airlines, especially for ski trips is the luggage allowance, once you add all your ski kit up for a long trip plus skis and boots etc the train could work out no more expensive, we will have to wait and see how much they charge to Geneva I guess once they eventually start the route
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd jump at the chance of Eurostar to Geneva. I already much prefer it to flying when going to Paris.

It's not just the luggage allowances, but also the ease and speed of check-in, MUCH less faff with the security checks and also the far more relaxed boarding/disembarking. No massive rush/surge.

It's a shame the TGV from Lille isn't a bit more direct to places like Geneva or BSM. If they could do that, Lille could become a hub for Eurostar to the mountains. As it is, you have to change at Lyon for a TER
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like the sound of this. If there was an early evening departure from St Pancras it would suit me (as I work in London) and office to Geneva in 5 hours would be on which is was quick as flying.

Have to wait for timing/prices until then it's Easyjet.
snow conditions
fatbob, An accord was signed last year to have the current cham express replaced with a Real Cham Express, two tracks, no cogs, etc., by 2016

I think partially in the back of the Geneva-Annemasse-Jura project, CEVA.
ski holidays
sanman, Absolutely not - spent many a night shift waiting for 2300 UK time to book the 'prems'. Never had a problem getting a train either at relatively last minute - price dependant of course. 25E in a taxy solves your Parisian problems or a euro on the metro.
snow report
DB have dropped any plans to run through to London. They have had far too many problems with "their neighbours" putting up obstacles preventing the service.

This was announced at a DB Agency summit in Frankfurt 3-weeks ago.
snow report
Blinder wrote:
DB have dropped any plans to run through to London. They have had far too many problems with "their neighbours" putting up obstacles preventing the service.

What a pity. Sad
ski holidays
Bump
More details on Eurostar London to Geneva
http://www.morznet.com/events/news/winter-ski-train-to-geneva?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
latest report
The link says:

The train journey from London's St Pancras to Geneva is expected to take just over 8 hours, leaving the UK at 06.57 and arriving into Geneva at 14.16.

Given the 1 hour time difference is that not just over 6 hours?
snow conditions
Great news, No good for the EoSB though
latest report
Unfortunately by leaving at 06:57 they make it near impossible for anyone little more than outside the M25 to make it into London by public transport in time to catch the train, with a one hour check in that means arrival at London St Pancras by 05:57 now I only live 2 hours from London but the earliest I can get there by train is 07.30 and I imagine many people will be in the same situation, the alternative I guess is go in the night before and have a "Cheap" hotel, but tby teh time you add up all the extra expenses it rather defeats the whole going by train thing, shame really Sad
latest report
D G Orf,

Since I moved west from Berkshire that is certainly my opinion.
snow conditions
Hmm. The point of the train, for me, is getting extra skiing. I'll wait for the overnight train.
However I have never heard of the French ski trains selling out all that quickly. What does sell out very quickly is the small number of nearly half price tickets.
By the way, what time of day are the return tickets?
snow report
i agree. i can get there in time on the first train out of chelmsford but its certainly not great for most people what's the return?
snow report
Hmm I could catch the 0432 and be in Kings X for 0548. That gives me enough time to walk across to St Pancras and check in within the hour.

Although, arriving at Geneva at 1416 is still 3 hrs later than my flight from Heathrow gets in, and that leaves at 0830.. however.. it WOULD be nice to be able to do it by just walking to the station from home and crossing the road in London, rather than faffing about with the Heathrow Express, tube or long-stay parking.

Certainly an option I think

Just had a look at what Avios wants for the SnowTrain (although it's not including Geneva yet, I don't imagine it'll be much different)

Quote:
Ski train to the French Alps

From 25,000 Avios per adult for a return trip
Hop on Eurostar from St Pancras or Ashford International to Moûtiers, Aime-la-Plagne or Bourg-St-Maurice.

Direct Eurostar trains run from from 21 December to 13 April.

25000 Avios!?? That's almost 3 return flights, or one and a half at Business class.
ski holidays
What was exciting and what we had heard was in planning was King's X to Geneva in around 4h30. With a regular more than daily service.

That would be exciting.

Although not as exciting as a fast service from the end of our street to Chamonix, however, which is also much discussed locally...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rather than kings cross st pancras, don't you consider driving to Ashford International with all your gear and doing long term car parking? I guess the train gets to Ashford 30 mins after leaving Kings X.
ski holidays
6.00 flight arrive Geneva 8.35 - ski most of the day. 9.30pm return flight (having skied all day).
snow conditions
Latest info. Tickets sales for Eurostar + Lyria (Swiss high speed train from Lille) service to Switzerland has been suspended until further notice! Puzzled
snow report
Latest info. Tickets sales for Eurostar + Lyria (Swiss high speed train from Lille) service to Switzerland has been suspended until further notice! Puzzled
latest report
Blinder wrote:

Looks like the DB plans were delayed rather than dropped (and given the amount of legal wrangling involved with getting access to the tunnel itself, I wouldn't expect them to abandon their plans to use it any time soon). I see that they're currently looking at running trains through the channel tunnel by 2015/2016 rather than the original plan of 2013. To be fair to the neighbours, it isn't every train company that has to run high speed vehicles through 5 different national signalling standards and convince the relevant authorities for each that they're doing it right.

I also read slightly depressing things suggesting that DB is having to pay quite a lot for the rights to run its trains through the tunnel, which doesn't suggest that it'll be a particularly cheap way to travel and as it won't be running to the same destinations as Eurostar there won't be a whole lot of pressure on either to drop prices. Step in the right direction, though!
snow conditions
snowball, good one....if you can get to the airport early enough for the check in for 6:00 a.m. flight
latest report
holidayloverxx, Very Happy
Get up 3.30, off 3.45, arrive Stanstead (or Luton) 4.30? Check-in, X-ray then Breakfast.
snow conditions
snowball, I was thinking by public transport really, but yes I could drive to Stansted and park
snow report
sanman wrote:
I've always wanted to "do" it by train, but frankly the idea of putting it all together, and crossing Paris, puts me off. The other problem is that train times are not released until about 90 days before, and sell out immediately, so if you don't get a ticket it may be too late to get a flight.

Did i not also read somewhere that SNCF bookings open at midnight local time, so by the time it is midnight here, Parisians have had an hour to book everything up? France for the French, 'twas always thus.

But the ability to go straight through from London to Geneva sounds great, only hope I live that long Very Happy

Obsolute rubbish. We did train last year for 1st time. Loved it, booked fairly late, got great value. Report below. Already sorted our Eurostar for the journey out Jan and while last year we drove to Ashford, this year we are doing the whole thing by train we enjoyed it so much.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88330&highlight=
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Did someone mention Les Arcs ? Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Obsolute rubbish. We did train last year for 1st time. Loved it, booked fairly late, got great value. Report below. Already sorted our Eurostar for the journey out Jan and while last year we drove to Ashford, this year we are doing the whole thing by train we enjoyed it so much.

Agree! Booked mine for 12/01/13 London St Pancras to Moutiers (stay in St Martin de Belleville in 3V) back following Saturday. And again to Bourg St Maurice on last Saturday of Feb. 23/02/13 (stay in Tignes les Brévières in Espace Killy). Now that I have bought my first pair of skis, it makes travelling by train even more relevant! Razz Mind you I am lucky to live in London, which of course in relative. Anyway, just can't wait Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Snowpie wrote:
Quote:

Agree! Booked mine for 12/01/13 London St Pancras to Moutiers (stay in St Martin de Belleville in 3V) back following Saturday. And again to Bourg St Maurice on last Saturday of Feb. 23/02/13 (stay in Tignes les Brévières in Espace Killy). Now that I have bought my first pair of skis, it makes travelling by train even more relevant! Razz Mind you I am lucky to live in London, which of course in relative. Anyway, just can't wait Madeye-Smiley

Forgot one detail: Booked all the tickets back in July 2012! Madeye-Smiley Eurostar always launches their ski trains ticket sales in late July! and for the whole ski season advance booking. Hope this helps anyone who would like to try it in the future.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy