Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent budget and possibly out of season resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the title may suggest, we more or less want it all...

Looking for a resort which will be easily accesible by public transport for a group of 4 or 5 lads.
TO's looking a little expensive so we are going to try and do it ourselves.

We are looking for a decent skiing with good conditions at the back end of the season. Hotels not too far from the lifts either would be an advantage.

Main thing is cost though. As it will be a sexondary trip, money s tight!

Any good options?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

As it will be a sexondary trip, money s tight!

and the skiing not such a priority? wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sean_daly93,
are you thinking pre main season or post?... For the last 6 years we have had loads of areas open near us 'pre' and 'post... pretty easy to access this area too as lo-cost flight to Salzburg and then a return transfer from €45 per person or maybe less...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

As it will be a sexondary trip, money s tight!

and the skiing not such a priority? wink
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flangesax, Post main season. Not by much though, probably mid april-ish.

I am aware that there will be places in europe stillopen at this time with decent snow and the galciers etc, but im just having trouble researching these places and trying to peice together a potential trip. Any particular resorts you can think of tha would fit the bill? With varied skiing etc? Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The best late season resorts tend to be high. So simply look at resorts with skiing above 3000m and a large percentage of the skiing above 2000m. Do not expect the prices to be rock bottom.

If money is tight then self drive and self cater will usually be the least expensive, but sometimes you will find very good chalet packages. I saw one advertised last year to Val d'Isere for IIRC under £200 including flights from the London area and transfers. I was tempted just to go for the walking, food and wine.

What sort of public transport do you have in mind? The direct coach companies tend to stop a bit earlier in the season than trains. In fact trains run throughout the year to Bourg st Maurice and Chamonix as well as many other ski resorts. Once you get across the channel they are fairly inexpensive. The possibility of combining flights, trains and even coach companies is vast and will need some research. Once again, IIRC Richard Hammond and James May in Top Gear demonstrated that by just using ground based public transport you could get from the south of England to Verbier in not much more time than in one of the most expensive cars in the world. They did not publish their costs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sean_daly93, take a look at Obertauern as it offers ski-in ski-out, stays open until the end of April each year and is pretty well off the UK TO's map, so prices are not inflated by UK school holiday dates. There are loads of slope side hotels and you get a lot of skiing for not too much outlay. As most of the Europeans have started to think more about beach holidays, the post Easter prices tend to be very low by comparison.

Most Austrian mainstream resorts start to close down from the Tuesday after the Easter weekend, with many resorts closing completely the weekend after Easter. This is regardless of how early the Easter weekend is by the way.

Another DIY bargin at that time is St Anton, not normally known for its cheapness even by Austrian standards. Lots of accommodation to be had there in all prices if you are DIY-ing it. But the apres tends to be a bit quieter than the reputation would lead you to believe - except at the Mooserwirt of course! wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE, Cheers for the advice john. I did consider the bourg st maurice option as there are a few quite accesible resorts from there i beleive? I was wondering if the train to bourg st maurice is quite compatible with the euro star? Deffinitely considering that as an option.

Samerberg Sue, Deffinitely wouldnt of had st anton down as cheap! Although if i was going over that way my preference would be ischgl. Would have absolutely no problem doing both of my trips in ischgl!

Il have a look at the place you suggested though, sounds great! Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Sean_daly93,

Easyjet flights tend to work out a bit cheaper than the train, even once you count the cost of the airport transfers, but there are some good deals to be had on the train too. Try checking eurostar to Paris and then the normal train to Bourg St Maurice as this oftten works out cheaper than booking a train all the way through. You can book french trains via www.voyages-sncf.com

If you can bear the journey there are some overnight coaches from London to Bourg St Maurice which work out as the cheapest option. You arrive in the morning like with the train so you get an extra ski day in too!!

We have a chalet in La Plagne which is easy to get to from Bourg St Maurice and open until mid-april. The chalet is at 2050m and there are two glaciers and lots of the domain above 2000m which makes it a good choice for end of season skiing.

As an example we have 14th - 21st April for £450 per person for the week including food, wine, bar, linen and cleaning and a free pick-up from Bourg St Maurice. Full details via the link below . . .

Happy planning . . .
Heather
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy