Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time for some new luggage.

Poster: A snowHead
musher wrote:

With all the boll*x rules & regulations airlines are bringing in you need to consider all of the possible options when looking at number of bags, weights etc. and there is going to be an increasing market for bags that carry multiple sets of skis, boots…

When you look at teh detailed Ts & Cs I'd think quite the opposite would apply...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name, Because it's much easier to throw a single ski bag, even holding 3 pairs of skis, over your shoulder than trying to carry two or three ski bags as well as your luggage and, probably, hand-luggage.

I've just ordered the BlackKart system from SnoKart. My longest skis are 183 and I'm pretty sure there'll be enough leeway in the ski bag that it'll fit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feef, While I take that point, you are a bit knacked if your airline imposes a 20kg (or single pair limit) on your checked luggage.

Plus, what's the audience of mass market skiers who carry more than one pair of skis (family skis excluded)?

not huge I would wager....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
feef, While I take that point, you are a bit knacked if your airline imposes a 20kg (or single pair limit) on your checked luggage.

Plus, what's the audience of mass market skiers who carry more than one pair of skis (family skis excluded)?

not huge I would wager....

Even so,paying even another £30 or £40 for a higher weight limit is still a drop in the ocean compared to the overall costs of a ski trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, It's a growing percentage I reckon. I'm still looking for a decent solution for my quiver, that's why I pretty much drive over, fed up with airline rip off ski carriage charges, and the chance I'll never see them again once they go onto that outsize baggage trolley.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29, I live 45 mins from Chamonix and rarely drive up with more than one pair of skis. In fact, I've skied on the same pair of skis for 4 out of my ~50 european days this season.

I am struggling with the need for a quiver (mind you, I am a. A curmudgeon and b. have 13 pairs in my garage... In various levels of usability I will add...)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name,

Stop chirping on abotu bloody airlines and the problems they cause then! Leave that to us poor bugs who have to use them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, I said I wouldn't be bothered about boots, personally I'd rather have them in a separate bag, though being able to put them in can't be a bad thing, and I made no mention of luggage. I merely said a bag able to cope with 3 long pairs of skis would have a lot of interest, which it DEFINITELY would.

I'll probably just end up getting a 2 pair dakine bag and use quiver killers, but it'd be nice to have something that can handle three pairs easily. The only thing I've seen that really looks up for the job is the rossignol burrito but I don't know how protected the skis would be in it, it looks quite soft.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DannyB01 wrote:
under a new name, I said I wouldn't be bothered about boots, personally I'd rather have them in a separate bag, though being able to put them in can't be a bad thing, and I made no mention of luggage. I merely said a bag able to cope with 3 long pairs of skis would have a lot of interest, which it DEFINITELY would.

I'll probably just end up getting a 2 pair dakine bag and use quiver killers, but it'd be nice to have something that can handle three pairs easily. The only thing I've seen that really looks up for the job is the rossignol burrito but I don't know how protected the skis would be in it, it looks quite soft.

I would imagine a 4 pair 'family' bag with wheels might do quite well too
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DannyB01, fit 3 pairs in my Dakine roller comfortably.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Iaink, that's the thing, they don't really seem to exist! lol I think families must generally take multiple bags but the kids skis will be small anyway.

Alans deep bath, cheers Alan, sounds like a good call. Is it just advertised as a double ski bag?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DannyB01, can't remember what mine is, fall line double perhaps? 190cm length with wheels. Fits 188 Directors, 190 Redeemers, 180 Ones fine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musher, You do very definitely have my sympathy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My BlacKart system from SnoKart arrived today, which is damned good service considering I only ordered it yesterday lunchtime.

Having a look at it, it's VERY well constructed, and I can see where the extra weight has gone with chunky zips, straps clips and padding to ensure the contents are protected.

The ski-bag could take my two pairs of skis no problem. They are 183 and 173 in length. The bag's supposed to only be good for 180cm, but the 183 went in okay. 184 might go in with a bit of a wrestle, but certainly no longer. Perhaps something a little longer might go in diagonally, but then it's a big bag for only one pair of skis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alans deep bath,

So a Dakine Fall Line Double definitely (typed that very carefully in case Pedantica is watching over my shoulder) fits a 190 in OK?
Would it take boots as well - I have big feet. I’m looking to get 190 cross country skis & poles and 184 Sultans in with my 30.5 boots if at all possible.
ski holidays
musher, aye this one: http://www.lockwoods.com/dakine--fall-line-double-190/prod_4121.html
latest report
Alans deep bath, looks perfect, and pretty tough too for that weight.
ski holidays
Mine has been on around 10 ski trips now and only has a couple of tears.
snow report
Alans deep bath, Any problems with weight when checking it in as one ski bag in your experience? I want to take 3 pairs skis, 2 sets poles, 2 shovels, 2 probes and 2 transceivers? Plus assorted trainers, fleeces etc to pad it out! If it's workable I'm going to go for one.
snow report
Markymark29, I guess it depends how much everything you want to put in it weighs and what airline you're flying. And how lucky you are. I've come close to paying with Easy Jet and Geneva (2 pairs of skis + boots and other kit) but not had to pay. I don't really put clothes in it though.
ski holidays
Markymark29, I wouldn't be putting my transceiver into checked luggage!
snow report
Don;t forget that if your airline only states that skis should be in ski bags, and that bag goes missing, only the skis are covered by their replace/hire cover. Anything else in that bag isn't covered, so if all your kit is in there... be aware thats all, almost fell foul of this in March, fortunately bags arrived on next flight out of Gatwick.
latest report
Gonna be fun getting your skis in that Amanda Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

and put the bindings in my cabin bag

Ah fixation!! - was the cry when a curious security chap opened up my luggage in Geneva to find nothing but 4 pairs of Tyrolia Peak 15s snowHead
snow conditions
the case for hiring skis sounds like it's becoming more compelling.....

but as for boots, why not wrap them separately in a poly bag, stuffed with socks, buffs, knickers etc and carry them in whatever bag you're using. Last time I took skis and boots on a flight (and public transport across London) all my stuff fitted in either the ski bag, where it protected the skis, or in the boot bag. But I did only have one pair of quite modest length skis and I don't have giant sized feet (though not dainty, either). It was enough to carry, on and off tubes, but also quite enough to live for a week. When I travel by car I find it's far too easy to chuck in too much.
latest report
I hire my skis and take all my other stuff with me. I use a jansport 76cm wheeled dufflebag - it weighs less than 3kgs, has room for my boots, helmet and all my other gear and even, one new years eve in Salen, it also carried my tux. Its only 92 litres though and sometimes I wish it was more, but its light and I've always managed to fit everything in it before, so I reckon I'll stick with it - I use it for winter and summer holidays and its bombproof (touch wood! Embarassed )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy