Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 12/13 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Yeah there's been some rain in the PdS (and vis was terrible today [though I was in Cham with my Mum as she has a busted neck and can't ski]), but snow's been fine. Cruisy piste skiing with friends/fam was great on Sunday, only a little rain lower down, lovely soft slightly slushy snow everywhere, some great bump sections in places. For piste skiing, I'll take that over sun and hardpack anytime (sun and slush/corn would be nice though!). Still a poo-poo-tonne of snow about too, nothing to worry about in that department!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
looks like snow down to the village in the Arlberg, still -1 in Nasserein at 1200m Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
......and a few more runs favouring cold 2nd week of April...still too far away in FI though

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

ooks like snow down to the village in the Arlberg, still -1 in Nasserein at 1200m

quite cold and snowy here too, but terrible visibility. Went for a walk and did some shopping - had to crawl at walking pace on parts of the road, the fog was so thick. I suspect the snow was very nice to ski on but when you can't see one piste pole from the next, I really CBA. Clearing now though, and promises a good sunny day tomorrow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Noz,
I was wondering if the perpetual easterly flow across the UK right now has its roots in the SSW event that took place in January. What are your thoughts on that?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
The best thing which can be said about the outlook at present is that it's very uncertain...... which is better than certainly horrible!

I like your style Toofy Grin

bitterly cold here in Scotland (can never work out how real "bitterly cold" never feels as bitter when experienced at 2000m in la belle France...), snowing again this morning. Garden covered again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamonix-meteo calling for a reasonable slug on snow to the weekend below about 1300-1500m....I'll take that thanks Happy

Counting down to Friday morning when we head for the Eurotunnel snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
any of you techy people able to put up some wigglies for Narvik/Northern Norway?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MetO have it staying cooler than average in northern Britain out as far 24th April, at the moment. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like there could be some decent snow at the end of the month in the Alps with temperatures dropping on Sunday too.

For the UK Met Office contingency planners warns of

"For April below-average UK-mean temperatures are more likely than above-average. For April-May-June as a whole above-average temperatures are weakly favoured.

The Met Office models suggest a dominance of higher-than-average sea-level pressure over Scandinavia and lower-than-average pressure to the southwest of Britain during April. This would favour an increased chance of winds from an easterly quarter. Given the colder-than-normal North Sea, easterly airstreams in April are likely to give below-average temperatures, especially in the east."
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, not far off. Looks pretty cold with snow.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen, cheers. heading out there for some touring on Sunday. hope the visibility is decent on at least one day so I can enjoy the views and take some pics!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nozawaonsen, if I read my ECM and GFS right for the Arlberg 2nd week of April is starting to look colder than average isn't it, although the GFS runs seem to be flip/flopping a bit every 6 hour run!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
whats the tarentaise looking like 6-13 April please ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stefoy4me, as kitenski says there is no stability in the forecasts at present, even for the next couple of days (Meteo France has changed forecasts significantly more than once in the last 24 hours). The good news is that there is plenty of snow on the ground and there will be some more over the next few days, though rain/snow limit might be a bit high.
snow report
stefoy4me, I put a link to ECM, the GFS runs, and a few other bits n bobs on my webpage, it includes Tignes/Val D'Isere

http://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=tignes

If you keep an eye on the charts you can see how they are changing every 6 hour run, so it's all very uncertain.
snow report
stefoy4me, I wouldn't even be sure about the weather at 6-13 AM tomorrow morning its that unsettled at the moment!
snow report
Minus 5 and snowing very hard at 1550m in my corner of the Beaufortain.
snow conditions
1 degee and snowing hard in Montalbert...... snowHead snowHead Cool
latest report
pam w wrote:
Minus 5 and snowing very hard at 1550m in my corner of the Beaufortain.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Over 20 cms so far this morning. Doesn't approach the March fall we had some years ago, which was deeper and far better quality, but a big improvement on the last two end-of-seasons, not to mention recent weather forecasts. It looks as if a big swathe of this end of the Alps is being dumped upon quite nicely.
latest report
About 30cm in our garden today, and loads more up top. Has snowed constantly since about 6.30 this morning, and shows no signs of stopping just yet. Snow down to 1200m and possibly lower .Our last ski day here until next season, so I would like it to stop. Snowguess said we would have a maximum of 5cm today Shocked
snow report
Quote:

Snowguess said we would have a maximum of 5cm today

snowguess has underestimated every snow fall we've had this year - in fact, just about every one in the last ten years!
latest report
Had begun to think our new purchase of winter tyres had been in vain but things are sounding hopeful now! Very Happy
snow report
We're sat at Dover on the 6pm sailing. Winter tyres on, chains in boot.
ski holidays
have a good 'un bladeskier, stick some bubbly in the snow for EoSB ta.
latest report
pam w, they used to seriously overestimate it for Serre Che though. Netweather had rain at resort level today too.
ski holidays
Decent amount of snow today in Avoriaz, heavy low down, but you don't need much altitude to find very nice snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

pam w, they used to seriously overestimate it for Serre Che though

well it's just a very simplifying model, inevitably, which doesn't distinguish stuff such as which side of a mountain you're on. Places at a similar altitude have quite different snowfalls - statistically the Beaufortain gets significantly more than the Tarentaise at the same level. Even very locally, our side of the mountain gets more fog than the other side.
latest report
pam w, obviously, as we get very different weather to Les Deux-Alpes. Sometimes there is a huge difference as we cross the Col du lauteret (often but not always in our favour).
ski holidays
A generally colder than average outlook as we head into April.

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/temp4.html

That said it will be milder over the next couple of days before temperatures drop on Sunday with fresh snow Saturday into Sunday.

Here's SLF.

Avalanche bulletin until Saturday, 30 March 2013
As a consequence of fresh snow and wind a considerable avalanche danger will be encountered in some regions

http://www.slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/schneedecke_wetter/index_EN

"Between the morning of Holy Thursday and the evening of Good Friday, the following amounts of new fallen snow were registered:

westernmost Lower Valais: 30 to 50 cm
western sector of northern flank of the Alps, remaining Lower Valais, northern Valais, Bergell, Val Poschiavo: 15 to 30 cm
remaining regions, widespread 5 to 15 cm

Outlook until Monday, 1.4.2013
On Easter Sunday in northern regions, snowfall down to low altitudes is anticipated. In southern regions it will be partly sunny, accompanied by northerly winds. On Easter Monday it will turn increasingly sunny in northern regions, in southern regions it will remain variably cloudy. The danger of dry avalanches is expected to increase in some areas of northern regions on Sunday. Elsewhere there will be no significant change in the avalanche situation."

Interesting to see how dry it looks like being over the UK.

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/prec4.html

The same high pressure which is pulling into the cold easterly weather is also keeping wet weather at a distance.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm not in the UK but was interested to hear a weather forecaster one day last week say that although it was very cold the air was too dry to give a frost. We often have that in the Alps but I think it's unusual in the UK, isn't it?
snow conditions
Just drove up to Les Menuires, snowing from about 1300M upwards. Roads ok now, can hear blasting in resort, probably La Masse.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'm not in the UK but was interested to hear a weather forecaster one day last week say that although it was very cold the air was too dry to give a frost. We often have that in the Alps but I think it's unusual in the UK, isn't it?

I've noticed a few times this winter. Temps well below freezing but no frost or ice on car windscreens, happened most often when we had snow on the ground.
ski holidays
hammerite, pam w, yes, noticed that myself. Normally you'd have seen frost on the cars and gardens but very little scraping the car this winter compared to previous.
ski holidays
Forecast for Schladming area so far spot on for today, started raining heavy early evening in the valleys, just turned to snow now, coming down nice and hard, set to continue all of Sunday. Looking forward to waking up Smile
ski holidays
It's been snowing all night in Zell am See and it looks like it's set in for the day, Bergfex are saying 16 cms at 2000m. Should be a good day!! Very Happy
snow report
happy Easter, sod the chocolate, it's powder!
snow report
Loads of new snow here this morning and terrible visibility but clear and sunny this afternoon. If I hadn't spent all day dashing round sorting ski hire and kids lessons and removing a friend's snowchain which had come half undone and got in a terrible tangle I might actually have enjoyed some skiing!

I wouldn't say it's powder - definitely wasn't powder at 1600m but it was fresh snow!
ski holidays
Here's some March stats for the UK.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2013/cold-march-statistics
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy