Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recc for Resort next January instead of Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all
I'm trying to book a holiday next year in Austria. We go nearly every year. Long ago we went for many years to a pension in Alpendorf; we now split time between Lech and Kitzbuhel with various bits of our family joining us every year.

This year I'm in charge of planning, and its going to be quite possibly a large group (up to 20 persons, with a few young kids). Their abilities vary from beginner, but the majority is intermediate to advanced. Mainly skiers, but 2 or 3 boarders.

We were going to book at Kitzbuhel again, at the Tiefenbrunner, however I realized the week that people NEED to go is during the Hahnenkahmm race, and the hotels are asking a premium (at least 100+ euro more per night).

I need a recommendation for an Austrian town or village that is similar to Kitz
-mixed terrain/a lot to explore
-things for non-skiers to do
-Austrian village feel/walkable to lifts

We are coming from all over the USA for this trip, so it needs to be good Smile None of us are partiers.
Thanks
Laura
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach maybe. I loved it there. 200km. Modern lifts, scenic, probably better snow than Kitz. You might go and visit Zell Am See for a day.
Amazing apres.

http://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lkeyes, Welcome to snowHead
I'm sure that there'll be loads of ideas thrown at you soon!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lkeyes, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

I see that you mention that you went for many years to Alpendorf - whilst you were in that ski region (now called Ski Amade) did you ever visit Schladming? It's a reasonable size town and the linked skiing area is quite extensive. Also for non skiers if they wanted to it's feasible to have a day trip to Salzburg (Mozart etc).

Alternatively I am very fond of the Zillertal valley. Probably the best known resort in the valley is Mayrhofen, but there are also extensive ski areas further down the valley at Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen. All these areas are covered by the Zillertal valley ski pass, which includes free transport on the frequent ski busses and the narrow gauge Zillertalbahn railway that runs along the valley between these resorts. Beyond Mayrhofen there is also glacier skiing on the Hintertux glacier. Non skiers have several things to do - the Zillertal railway runs steam locomotive specials on certain days, they can visit the Hintertux glacier which has the Spannagel show cave, near Mayrhofen there is a local dairy/cheese factory where you can tour to see how the mountain Bergkase cheeses are made (along with samples! Madeye-Smiley ). Also for non-skiers a day trip to Innsbruck is very easy to do from the Zillertal.

Hope this helps.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would also suggest Saalbach. All that Tom W said plus few t bars which is good for the boarders.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
lkeyes, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

I see that you mention that you went for many years to Alpendorf - whilst you were in that ski region (now called Ski Amade) did you ever visit Schladming? It's a reasonable size town and the linked skiing area is quite extensive. Also for non skiers if they wanted to it's feasible to have a day trip to Salzburg (Mozart etc).

Alternatively I am very fond of the Zillertal valley. Probably the best known resort in the valley is Mayrhofen, but there are also extensive ski areas further down the valley at Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen. All these areas are covered by the Zillertal valley ski pass, which includes free transport on the frequent ski busses and the narrow gauge Zillertalbahn railway that runs along the valley between these resorts. Beyond Mayrhofen there is also glacier skiing on the Hintertux glacier. Non skiers have several things to do - the Zillertal railway runs steam locomotive specials on certain days, they can visit the Hintertux glacier which has the Spannagel show cave, near Mayrhofen there is a local dairy/cheese factory where you can tour to see how the mountain Bergkase cheeses are made (along with samples! Madeye-Smiley ). Also for non-skiers a day trip to Innsbruck is very easy to do from the Zillertal.

Hope this helps.

And if non skiers head up to visit the Spannagel Cave they can meet people skiing for lunch at the Spannagel Haus! And enjoy the luxury comfort of a ride in the back of a Pinzgauer truck...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lkeyes,

Saalbach would be great from the skiers point of view but not for the non skiers. Conversely Zell am See would be great from the non skiers point of view although the more advanced skiers would get a bit bored as the week went on. Have a look at the piste maps and decide for yourself. They are only about 20 mins apart in a taxi though so maybe consider staying in Zell and buying the joint lift pass for both Saalbach and Zell am See/Kaprun then you get the best of both worlds?

Zell is on the main train line so easy to go to Kitzbuhel or Salzburg for a day as well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Laura, Ischgl would seem to fit the bill. www.ischgl.at
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the majority of the group are good skiers, then it would make more sense to stay in Saalbach and let the non-skiers take the bus or taxi to Zell am See. There is too little skiing in Zell for anyone above intermediate level, even factoring in a trip to Kaprun for the glacier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bob, I'd add a vote for Ischgl in terms of mixed terrain lots to explore, walkable to lifts. How much there is for non skiers though would be a bit of a question. If you are willing to pay a number of the hotels have good spas etc.

http://www.madlein.com/en-beauty-spa-ischgl.htm
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all of the suggestions!!

I will look into Ischgl & the Zillertal Valley

I did actually do some skiing in Saalbach, but unfortunately it was that terrible horrible WARM 2006/2007 (I think) season so we didn't get the best view of it. We skied Zell am See as well, but I think the more advanced people would get a bit bored after a week.

I'm going to try to flex our dates a bit and maybe keep Kitz in the running but I'm going to certainly look into the above. I'm always amazed that places book up so far in advance!

Many thanks to all
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Despite all appearances Ischgl isn't a total loss for thev non skier, Had a problem with a mates family previously.
For some of the Daytime 'non' skiing activities it may be necessary to travels to neighbouring villages, If you are planning to hire a car the possibilities are considerable, I guess it depends on what appeals to non skiiing individuals.

Leisure centre Swim, Bowling.
Cablecar museum - ischgl.
Farming museum - Marthon.
Horse drawn sleigh rides - Ischgl, Marthon, Galtur.
Tennis (indoor) - Ischgl.
Silvretta Wildlife Park.
Winter Hiking trails, in Ischgl and local villages- These are really good done some myself.
Day trip to Innsbruck.
Church visit
Chillin'.
Bling bling shopping.

The lifts are walkable from all of the the Village centre hotels, I Usually stay at the Goldener Adler, which is very close the unserground walkway/ church, and allows you to ski most of the way back.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try looking at staying at Kirchberg, linked to Kitzbuhel and a lot cheaper...maybe still not for Hahnenkamm week ..worth a look. Jochberg and Pass Thurn would be good for the skiers but not for the others.
Ziller valley may well suit - Zell am Ziller is a pretty town but it's a bit convoluted to get to the slopes. Have a look at the train routes so that your non skiers can go out for the day without a driver.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're used to Kitzbuhel and Lech, I would go for Ischgl, or even Serfaus which has a more family feel to it
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saalbach or the Zillertal should fit the bill.

Cheers
Kersh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy