Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

May have crossed over to the dark side last night!

Poster: A snowHead
Feel better now, just needed it all out in the open! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strange things happen on May the 4th. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Revenge of the Fifth?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells, Brilliant!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, Laughing Laughing

gatecrasher, Oh dear.... do you feel dirty? That morning after the night before feeling?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Schuss in Boots, Haven't left the house today if that's what you mean! No matter how hard I scrub there is still this lingering odour! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gatecrasher, Oh dear - I suggest you sit down (preferably not in the middle of a piste Toofy Grin) until you feel better! wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wondering if anyone else has found themselves stuck like this in a window of uncertainty, I'm strangely drawn to bindings with little shiny stud thingys and designer names, even my helmet won't stay on properly....dude! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gatecrasher wrote:
my helmet won't stay on properly....dude! Shocked

Gaper!

Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gatecrasher, maybe we could swap kit, I recently had a lesson on the 'light' side, enjoyed it, and having last night crossed back to the dark side for freestyle night at Tamworth am now nursing a knee that's swollen to the size of a tennis ball.

Also stuck in uncertain no-mans land!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rookierich, sounds like a plan! I've got lots of kit you can try, I'm quite liking the idea of only having two edges to sharpen with the dark side, maybe we could share tips also wink the misplaced edges definitely seem to hurt more with boarding, I managed to turn both ways but got a bit cocky near the end and did a big barrel roll Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher, You're clearly just beginning the first stage of a summer long Cold Turkey process. As soon as fresh supplies of the genuine white stuff reappear your habit will be satisfied and you will be able to ditch this cheeky substitute as it's clearly not the real thing. Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jivebaby, I've even been to see what's happening over in the "snowboarding section" but there's nobody talking about anything techy on kit, nothing about "watch my video what am I doing wrong?", how do I...etc.etc.

Nothing! absolutely nothing...... Mind you that may all change very shortly!
wink Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gatecrasher, we're all far to busy enjoying it to ask any questions like "am i bending ze knees enough?" and i do agree with Jivebaby - just wait until the supplies of the fresh stuff arrive....... you're in for a surprise Razz
snow report
gatecrasher,
Quote:
but there's nobody talking about anything techy on kit, nothing about "watch my video what am I doing wrong?", how do I...etc.etc.

Nothing! absolutely nothing...... Mind you that may all change very shortly!

The only tech issues are the bindings?
rolling eyes Embarassed
ski holidays
gatecrasher, I went bi for a couple of seasons, don't worry about it, it happens from time to time. I got lucky though and managed to crawl out of the pit I was falling deeper into.
My turning point was one sunny afternoon, beastin' down a mountain and caught a toe edge and landed hard on my left shoulder, nothing broke but it feckin' hurt. Got up dusted myself down off I went, heading for the nearest bar for a little muscle relaxant.
Bang.
Another toe edge landed on the other shoulder FFS. Nothing broke but it feckin' hurt.
This, as it happens was our last day anyway. Got home eBay'd the feckin' lot. Not missed it in the slightest. Just put in much more effort to get much better on skis.
snow report
gatecrasher, You have defiantly made a good move, the music, the clothes, the drugs, the girls, no no forget the last one.
snow report
rogg, Jivebaby, Ooooh so there is some tech stuff to bore the @rse off people with...I'm in! wink

ricfrench, made me chuckle but I do that sort of thing all the feckin time on skis and am still going back for more! rolling eyes

jbob, wow! Tip of the iceberg so far then...could get costly Toofy Grin so tell me about all these girls...

So should I have lessons or is it more of a "free the mind man and just go for" if I mention I'm teaching myself will I be torched! Shocked
snow report
gatecrasher, there is Yin and Yang in ALL things snow . . . you have taken a step on the path to true enlightenment, to when one day you will rise from your pit, scratch yer butt, sniff a finger, throw open the curtains and think . . . I AM A SNOW GOD AND I CAN SLIDE ANYTHING!
OK, so It's not quite that good . . . but it's close . . . and anyone who tells you skis are better than a board in powder has a smaller mind than a goldfish. Spread your wings and fly. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
gatecrasher, We will not give tray boys a torch to find their way back.
snow conditions
Cynic, you can spread your legs and 'brace' rolling eyes
ski holidays
Well I shall be keeping my torch in back pocket for now just in case wink ,back on the forward facing thingys later so will see how that goes before I finally succumb to join the snow gods but at least now I'm not afraid to "look away from the light" Toofy Grin
snow report
Masque wrote:
gatecrasher, there is Yin and Yang in ALL things snow . . . you have taken a step on the path to true enlightenment, to when one day you will rise from your pit, scratch yer butt, sniff a finger, throw open the curtains and think . . . I AM A SNOW GOD AND I CAN SLIDE ANYTHING!
OK, so It's not quite that good . . . but it's close . . . and anyone who tells you skis are better than a board in powder has a smaller mind than a goldfish. Spread your wings and fly. Madeye-Smiley

Well, a lot of great off piste routes involve (long) pole outs. A few words spring to mind:

flat
walk
traverse
cold knees
wet back bottom

And for balance:

poles
skating
speed

Just look at the Verbier Extreme, a few years ago skiers werent allowed. Now, who dominates with the fastest, steepest and bigger lines/drops? People with 4 edges.
snow conditions
Or no edges considering the skidding needed in that game.
snow conditions
Well after a great pole whacking session last night I'm starting to snap out of it! are there any GS or "glalom" I guess it would be called boarding clubs in the UK, that could just be the answer! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Snowboard slalom? You just can't/won't give up the tight pants, will you gatecrasher... Toofy Grin
Oh and if you want technical minutiae, wander over to the boarding section and start a camber vs rocker or highback vs no highback debate.
snow report
gatecrasher, You would have to wear hard boots for that game, real boarding; you are welcome to enter the plastic summer racing slalom competitions, we have 2 boarders on the southern circuit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, You've got me sussed, they weren't tight when I bought them though Embarassed
ski holidays
Cynic, do you mean boarders doing plastic racing on boards or skis as not heard of any board slalom events on plastic?
latest report
gatecrasher, The university snowsports soc has a board team, and I think they compete in slalom events on plastic

http://www.buscevents.com/snowsports/index.php/?content=1065&menu=2509
snow report
Iaink, looks a lot of fun but if I were 20 years younger hey! Skiers definitely look to have an advantage racing plastic by the looks of it! wink
ski holidays
gatecrasher, everyone is allowed a slip up or two. just don't make a habit out of it.
ski holidays
ed123, I tried boarding on my last holiday, couldn't get past thinking about how much more fun (and less hurt) I could be having on skis, so I went back to the hire shop after an hour and a half and swapped NehNeh
latest report
Iaink wrote:
ed123, I tried boarding on my last holiday, couldn't get past thinking about how much more fun (and less hurt) I could be having on skis, so I went back to the hire shop after an hour and a half and swapped NehNeh
Wow! You must have been at a pretty advanced level by the end hey! wink

ed123, noted! Embarassed
snow conditions
gatecrasher, The only reason I don't do it professionally is that it'd be unfair on all the other competitors NehNeh
latest report
Iaink, I'm now well into my (second) hour so if you ever need a mentor!? Laughing
snow conditions
fighting talk there, sounds like a challenge!

I'm still open to boarding, but I wouldn't sacrifice valuable hours in the Alps repeatedly going down nursery/green slopes. If I get board of Tamworth in the summer I might try one of those learn to board in a day courses and take it from there (will have to be careful not to show up the instructor though...)
snow conditions
Nah! Self teaching...definitely the way to go, I had an hour lesson ages ago learning the basics trying to work out which way to face felt better, falling leaf toe & heel, how to get on the lift. After that I'm now just winging it, two hours on (three actually) I lied! I can now turn both ways and flat spin (learnt by accident) Laughing
snow report
gatecrasher, Boarders racing gates alongside skiers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy