Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen parking and train

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Does anybody know where you can park in Lauterbrunnen for a week and within easy reach of the train station, how much it costs for a week and how much the train costs to get up to Wengen.

Once you have parked in Lauterbrunnen is it a ball ache to get to the train station etc?

Thank you for your help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jerby, there's a big multi storey car park right next to the station. No idea of costs though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jerby, As Hells Bells says there is a multi-storey car park next to the station. Details here:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/winter/tourism/travel-information/parking/multi-storey-car-park/lauterbrunnen-multi-storey-car-park/

Click on the parking fees tab for costs. Looks like 82CHF for a week. I parked there a few years ago and it's very convenient, just wheel your gear to the train. I don't think the train was very expensive but if you're skiing that day, then the area ski pass includes the train.

Edit: A quick check on SBB site shows the one way train fare to be 3.20CHF.

This site provides some useful links : http://www.wengen.com/location.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Parked there at the end of March. You pay on foot when you come back, cash or card. The machines are just before the high-level walkway between the station and car park, so don't walk out of the station and down to the ground floor of the car park. (Obviously, I did. rolling eyes )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's at the station.

Make sure you pre-book. And take the booking confirmation. When I arrived it said it was full, with a guy manning the entrance only letting in people that had booked.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So easy to park the car and jump on the train to Wengen...if you fancy going there that is.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Brookes, Well, I suppose you could always park the car and jump on the cable car for the train connection to Murren! wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink, damn...u caught me Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jerby, It's rare you need to pre book the parking, however if out at Christmas/New Year, Lauberhorn week or Feb Half term time you would be well advised to book the parking in advance, as others have already said going from car park to station is a breeze, you leave the carpark near the top floor and walk through a covered bridge section to the station and thence up onto the platform, if carrying luggage there's usually some trolleys nearby, but it's really not far, with luggage you want the first ramp up to the platform as trains to Wengen depart from the furthest platforms from the station buildings.

Just for your reference if staying in a hotel in Wengen I believe there is still a courtesy phone down at Lauterbrunnen so you can phone to let them know you will be on the next train up, or you can order a taxi if using a chalet/appartment very handy if arriving either very early or late as it saves a wait at Wengen station.

Oh the entrance to the car park is on the left as you just start to enter Lauterbrunnen, it's well signposted but it is easy to drive past and entering it from the opposite direction is no where near as easy, the road takes you down the hill and should the roads be icy (unlikely given the normal Swiss efficiency) you want to take this road carefully.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the info. It's just what i was after.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jerby, When are you thinking of visiting Wengen ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are hoping 19th or 20th January.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jerby, Given that that is Race weekend for 2013

a. book parking

b. Be prepared for big traffic Jams getting in to Lauterbrunnen

You may be better off parking in Interlaken and taking the train Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at the prices we have had back i guessed it was the race weekend Shocked . We are fluid on the dates really so may go a week earlier. Thanks for the information.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jerby, if you are fluid I'd go a week later, just personal opinion but the slopes will be much quieter, and they will all be open, a week earlier and they will have started to prep the race course, it's not all that much disruption but it's what I'd do
snow report
Quote:

there's a big multi storey car park right next to the station

I remember that car park! We didn't pay enough attention when we parked, and walked round and round for what seemed like hours, looking for the car when we got back down. Embarassed
ski holidays
pam w, On out last day skiing we decided to take the train down to drop our skis off and put them in the car, only to realise when we got there that the car keys were still in the apartment. Embarassed So we took a chance and his them under the car and came back with the car keys. wink
ski holidays
pam w, geepee, Years ago we went down to the car park to say goodbye to a swiss friend who'd popped over from Bern for the day to see us, after about an hour of searching for her car we still hadn't found it and we saw the attendant, She tells him she can't find her red car only to be told, but you were parking your brown car earlier when I saw you Laughing

Much hilarity ensued and we found the car 2 mins later, unfortunately whilst we were down there a mudslide blocked the rail line from Wengen and we had to walk back up, made it back just in time for dinner, I was however shocked to see a mother and daughter walking up wearing ski boots the little girl had been sitting on one of the benches frying her eyes out as her mum peeled of the bloody dripping socks, moral of the story do not try to walk up to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen wearing ski boots Shocked
ski holidays
How long is the train ride up to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen and is the train generally busy? Thinking of going 12th Jan.
snow report
Jerby, It's about 15 minutes and it depends on the time of day as to whether it's busy. I can't remember it being overly busy when I went and it was an Easter week.
snow report
After about 10am it's generally pretty quiet likewise before 8am, the rest of the day you will generally have no problem finding a space to sit for the short journey from Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen, if you arrive during daylight hours I'd suggest sitting on the right of the train for some great views in good weather, with the newer trains there's space for luggage inside the carriage, older trains have a wagon on the front for skis and baggage, you will have plenty of time to get off the train and get your bags at Wengen
snow report
We will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for the week and taking the train up daily or even go to a couple of different areas.
Sorry for all the questions: Is the train journey covered on the area ski pass? Are there lockers at the station where you can leave ski boots etc? How far would Zermatt be by car?
snow conditions
Jerby, Yes, the train is included in the area pass and it's the way you get from Wengen to Murren and vice versa. I don't know about lockers. I did travel to Zermatt for a second week skiing. It's not far if you go through the Lötschberg Tunnel on the train. It's just over 40 miles IIRC. It was quite quick to load up onto the train, just drive on and drive off. I think it cost about CHF20 one way but that was about 3 years ago.
ski holidays
Jerby, pretty certain there are lockers at Lauterbrunnen but they won't be cheap, probably just as cheap to get a taxi from wherever you are staying to station each day assuming you are beyond walking distance, there is also a regular bus service along the Lauterbrunnen valley as an alternative
snow conditions
12 Jan should be fine, a week later 19 Jan and there will be 3hr queues going up to Wengen am for the Lauberhorn World Cup race. Later during the week pre 19 Jan, the Lauberhorn will be closed for race training, but some great uncrowded views of the training from the race course fencing.
Also parking available up at Stechelberg. Open air and about 20CHF for the week. Bus service runs from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen every half hour. From L the just about the quickest way to get up the Murren side is to catch the bus and go up the S bahn to Murren/Birg/Schilthorn.
All buses and trains from Interlaken Ost are covered on the Jungfrau ski pass.
snow report
geepee wrote:
Jerby, I did travel to Zermatt for a second week skiing. It's not far if you go through the Lötschberg Tunnel on the train. It's just over 40 miles IIRC. It was quite quick to load up onto the train, just drive on and drive off. I think it cost about CHF20 one way but that was about 3 years ago.

I would like to know more on the above if anybody has any information or first hand experiances.

Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy