Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BMI Baby woes...

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17940539

Not sure if this is relevant for ski flights, but I used them a lot for both business and personal travel. I've even got flights to Barcelona booked with them for late September. Sadly it's getting harder and harder to actually go anywhere...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bugga, their early Sat morning EMA/GVA flight was a great service, especially after Easyjet pulled out of EMA.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMIBaby were very convenient for me flying from EMA. Have been several times with them to places such as Rome, Geneva and Venice, and will be going with them before the end of this month to Gibraltar.

A great pity that it looks like they'll be closing. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, Alastair Pink, hopefully Jet2 will expand their routes from EMA
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, that would be superb. Best of luck with the shop preparation, btw.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
Sadly it's getting harder and harder to actually go anywhere...

True! We've uses them 2 or 3 times for ski flights too. 23kg luggage and skis went free! Not as cheap as easijet but then they no longer go from EMA. Hope someone (except Ryanair!) sees a market and flies some ski routes from there next winter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oh damn... just seen they have stopped flying flying from EMA Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If they do shutter the site, it'll be safe for my internet dyslexic father-in-law to return to booking flights online...
Significant difference in google results between BMIbaby and BeMyBaby I can tell you Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not really a surprise IAG didn't want it but Lufthansa didn't do anything to separate it. Problem seems to be not enough people paying enough money flying from EMA, if it had been profitable they'd probably have been able to spin it off.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways wrote:
If they do shutter the site, it'll be safe for my internet dyslexic father-in-law to return to booking flights online...
Significant difference in google results between BMIbaby and BeMyBaby I can tell you Shocked Laughing

Laughing I haven't dared to investigate in work but I can only imagine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like I'm going to have to suffer Ryanair for forthcoming Barcelona flights. As for ski flights I shall just have to stick to TO there's so little choice with scheduled flights (even TO convenient flights are getting harder to find).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stand by for the profitable routes to be picked up by Easy Ryan or Jet2 - within 2 weeks if Baby is not sold in some form or other - be it as a going concern or a fire sale of assets.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyBe picking up the BMI Baby flights from EMA - currently Amsterdam, Paris CDG, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Jersey - my contact at FlyBe says this may extend to Geneva in the winter - depends on demand
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janner wrote:
FlyBe picking up the BMI Baby flights from EMA - currently Amsterdam, Paris CDG, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Jersey - my contact at FlyBe says this may extend to Geneva in the winter - depends on demand

Flybe are getting so expensive now. We used to use them from Jersey - Geneva but the price has rocket so going via Gatwick with BA and saved loads....THANKYOU BA
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have heard that Monarch are going to establish routes and a base at EMA Smile. Also, new route out of BHX to Barcelona. Keep an eye on travel/flight news over the summer.
ski holidays
It sounds similar to what happened when BA bought Manx airlines. They ran it for 6 months and then shut it down despite it being profitable. The slots that Manx 'owned' in Heathrow were worth more for transatlantic flights. I wouldn't be surprised if the slots for BMIBaby were reallocated to a different route
ski holidays
I really hate Ryanair. Within minutes of the BMI Baby flights getting cancelled, they doubled the prices of their flights on the same routes. We are now flying Easyjet from Luton to Barcelona, a complete pain in the proverbials but better than canceling the holiday entirely. Ho hum...
ski holidays
looks like im going to have another airline who fly to Chambery
snow report
But tell me what is the difference between Ryanair puting up their prices, than every other airline, increasing their prices 3 fold to Munich minutes after Chelsea got through to the CL final. Im sorry its supply and demand.
snow conditions
feef, BMI Baby doesn't operate out of Heathrow - the only place in the UK where slots have any real value (despite the fact that they were never bought and have much more to do with being in the right place at the right time in the 60's)
queen bodecia, Welcome to capitalism - the only things that keep prices in check are legislation and competition. All businessmen want to charge more - its human nature
ski holidays
Or blatant profiteering from the unfortunate. Call it what you will... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
queen bodecia, Nobody is forcing you to fly with Ryanair. It's your money, your choice. Personally I think Ryanair are crap, but they provide a service which is clearly in demand.
latest report
uktrailmonster, not quite true. Since BMI Baby have closed and people who have flights booked have had them cancelled, Ryanair are the only alternative on many routes. For some routes there is no alternative at all. Ryanair's response to this is to massively increase the cost of their flights on those routes which match the cancelled BMI Baby routes. I agree Ryanair are crap and for me I'd rather use Easyjet, adding 2 hours to my journey time and approx £80 to my travelling expenses. It's not feasible for some of our business flights though, so horrible Ryanair get our money whether we like it or not.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, What routes are exclusively covered by Ryanair? Or are you just talking about economy airlines? If they are the only carrier, they will obviously hike prices as much as they can get away with and still fill their seats - pure supply & demand. But at some price point people will simply not pay and find some other way to reach their destination or not go at all. I'm not sure what you would expect Ryanair or any other airline to do in such a position where demand suddenly increases massively. The higher pricing effectively selects those who really want to fly somewhere.

Look at it this way, if they didn't increase their prices in line with the sudden extra demand, the seats would be sold out in no time and then you probably wouldn't have the option to fly at all.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, BMI Baby, Thomson and Ryanair are the only scheduled carriers from EMA at present, the rest (and the vast majority of Thomson flights) are all charters. So by taking BMI Baby out of the equation, Ryanair have an effective monopoly. But apparently Flybe and possibly Jet2 are looking at having bases at EMA, so things may improve. Easyjet quit EMA some time back.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, You only ever fly from EMA? What about all the other airports within a couple of hours drive? I certainly wouldn't restrict my options that much. But anyway if it has to be Ryanair or nothing, it's surely better to have some seat availability at a higher price than none at all because it all sold too cheaply due to increased demand. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

A similar thing happened on flights to Canada when the only economy airline flying to Vancouver crashed (no pun intended) a few years ago. Suddenly BA and Air Canada ramped up their pricing once they had no cheaper competition. Flights still sell out.
snow report
uktrailmonster, I happily use Birmingham or Doncaster, or at a push Leeds, Manchester, Luton or even Stansted for holiday flights. But for business travel where we flight to Europe and back in a day, EMA really is the only convenient option.
latest report
queen bodecia, with the greatest respect why do you care about Ryanair jacking up fares if its only business travel. Sure most people might prefer a more reliable carrier but if its an extra hour in bed/home an hour earlier?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, business travel has to be cost-effective. But for my personal flights I'm avoiding Ryanair and adding 2 hours to my journey by flying Easyjet from Luton.
snow conditions
queen bodecia,

2 hour drive, say 90m miles (each way?) at 50p/mile. How much cheaper are these SleasyJet flights?
snow conditions
musher, when taking the cost of diesel and car parking into account, about £60 per head. So still a decent saving.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, as in earlier posting, Monarch Airlines have announced new winter routes to the Alps out of EMA and Leeds/Bradford. Check details on Travel news. Smile
ski holidays
davidthornton, thanks, I seriously hope they're flying EMA to Munich. I have given up hope of finding Salzburg flights.
snow report
Jet2 have also announced new routes out of EMA this winter to Chambery and Geneva. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy