Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

From motorsports to snowsports - St Bernard to the rescue?

Poster: A snowHead
Friday's press release by the newly formed Gstaad 3000 SA investment company revealed that a certain Bernie Ecclestone is one of the main players coming to the rescue of the bankrupt Les Diablerets lift operators...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-09-05 22:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could Bernie be planning for retirement from F1 ?
Now that A1GP has kicked off, and with the apparant unrest within the f1 community about the concorde agreement, he may be looking to cut his losses before the A1GP series gets a foothold on his tv coverage.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
srobbo wrote:
Could Bernie be planning for retirement from F1 ? ... he may be looking to cut his losses

And what losses would those be? Wink

Isn't Bernie a very wealthy man from his stranglehold on F1?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
not unusual for Gstaad though...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From the article in Le Temps, the receivers have accepted a mere 5 million Swiss Francs from the three main players in the purchase, who have picked up assets worth something in the region of SF 84 million - not just the lift infrastructure, but the "prestigious" mountain restaurant as well...

(Sounds as if the taxpayer is picking up the bill for all the losses that have been written off...)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The restaurant's very good actually. It's a great ski station and very popular, not much known in the UK of course.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise,
Quote:

. It's a great ski station and very popular, not much known in the UK of course.

If that were true, so how come I've known about it for the last 15 years? I'm not particularly well informed about small Swiss resorts either. Perhaps you are underestimating the typical British skier, we ski around y'know. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

. It's a great ski station and very popular, not much known in the UK of course.

If that were true, so how come I've known about it for the last 15 years? I'm not particularly well informed about small Swiss resorts either. Perhaps you are underestimating the typical British skier, we ski around y'know. wink

I'm sure I read some well known Internet ski pundit pompously pointing out it was an area of little interest Very Happy I thought it was well known and popular as well but that just shows what we know Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, but we are snowHeads - not your 'typical British skiers' Laughing
Looks like Bernie and his boys have got a bargain. A canny operator. But I can never figure out why he didn't marry someone more closely matched to his own height. They do look like the odd couple.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise,
Quote:

I'm sure I read some well known Internet ski pundit pompously pointing out it was an area of little interest

Perhaps you could quote source. I believed that I was reading your opinion, not that of someone whom you clearly don't agree with Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, I just can't recall where I saw it, maybe some search engine would help Very Happy I just took it at face value and assumed I must have been wrong in thinking it was a popular ski area, this has all come as a shock really, I was going to leaflet the crowds who, being as uninformed as me, will be there when it opens shortly to let them know it was an area of little interest and they should have stayed at home looking at webcams. It's hard to know what to think if it turns out some of the stuff you read on the internet turns out to be just made up Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A couple of points on this:

Bernie Ecclestone is, to my eyes, a disgrace to business. His early act of corrupting the Blair government - which, of course, must account for itself - revealed the kind of guy he is. A £1 million donation to the Labour Party, subsequently returned under huge embarrassment, was all we need to know about Ecclestone.

Background: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/940037.stm

Whether there's anything murky about Ecclestone buying a Swiss ski area is quite another matter. There's no evidence that he's bought these assets below their market value. It seems speculative to assume that the assets are worth 84 million Swiss francs. They are physically immobile assets and were built by a company that went bust, so the price his new company paid is probably the true value. Although dodgy deals take place with the repurchase of assets of bankrupt companies, one has to assume that the liquidators sold them on an open competitive basis (without evidence to the contrary).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
There's no clear evidence that he's bought these assets below their market value.
True, but knowing what we know about the man and his business methods I doubt very much he paid over the odds and I bet he thinks he got a good deal. Why else would he invest in the area? Still if it keeps a ski area and a decent restaurant open for business, we shouldn't complain about a 'guardian angel' and his cherubim.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would imagine that he probably paid whatever the banks were asking which may well have been less than the actual cost of the development, I know of a Swiss hotel that cost almost 10M Sfr to build that sold at auction for just over 2M Sfr when the bank that held the mortgage sold it
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Over the last 8 years, according to the report in Le Temps, the cost of constructing the lift system and the restaurant amounted to 84 million Swiss Francs. The infrastructure is relatively new therefore, and it would not be unreasonable to suggest that if a similar project on a virgin Diablerets glacier were to be costed today, it would amount to something in that region.

The article also suggests that certain hefty debts (owed to the region etc) are to be written off. In exchange the local authorities have obtained guarantees of some 13 million SF further investment in the resort by Gstaad 3000 over the next two years.

Le Temps also hints that there was little choice as there were no other offers. "Value" is a relative term. Depends on how desperate the seller is, to a considerable extent...
snow report
Personally I prefer the guardians of ski areas - particularly highly sensitive high-Alpine environments - to be their local communities. If Ecclestone+Co. are willing to comply with rigorous environmental standards in operating Les Diablerets then fine.

Has anyone actually complained that the assets of Les Diablerets have been sold cheap? e.g. a competing bidder? He paid 5 million SFr for the assets, PG reckons the assets are worth 84 million SFr. Where's the evidence?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, er. "PG" reckons nothing of the sort. "PG" was reading the summary of the press conference in Le Temps.
ski holidays
It's on the record, Pete! You stated yesterday: "... the three main players in the purchase ... have picked up assets worth something in the region of SF 84 million"

If one builds something like:

at a cost of £600 million
that doesn't mean that it's worth more than peanuts, in relative terms, now.
The Les Diablerets lift system, and mountain restaurant etc, were white elephants in business terms.
snow report
David Goldsmith, what is actually on the record is the following:
Quote:

From the article in Le Temps, the receivers have accepted a mere 5 million Swiss Francs from the three main players in the purchase, who have picked up assets worth something in the region of SF 84 million - not just the lift infrastructure, but the "prestigious" mountain restaurant as well...
ski holidays
We all accept that construction cost does not equal present day value. Some things appreciate. Some devalue. Clearly a bankrupt facility cannot be sold for it's original cost but it rather looks as though the write-down and the hit absorbed by the taxpayers have been very substantial in this case. Bernie and his associates (especially if they were, as stated, the only bidders) will surely have driven a hard bargain. These are neither philanthropically minded snow sports enthusiasts nor seeking to have a 'private' resort - as far as I know. This is being purchased as a business proposition.
snow report
kuwait_ian, a very fair summary of the situation as I see it.
snow conditions
Pete, this can be rapidly resolved. Is there a link to the Le Temps article?
latest report
Directly linked to at 9.20 pm last night before the original post here was entered.
snow report
I don't speak any French, but even I can see 84 million. Wouldn't have a clue what it was referring to though wink
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, my franglais is pretty poor aussi - but PG's a qualified translator so I'll happily accept his efforts. PG has been quoting a press release - others here (including me) have been speculating. That's what forums are all about. No need for another battle over journalistic integrity.
ski holidays
Quote:
Le prix de la transaction: 5,05 millions de francs. Une paille au regard des 84 millions investis depuis 1997 pour construire le prestigieux téléphérique du col du Pillon et surtout le coûteux restaurant imaginé par l'architecte tessinois Mario Botta.
The cost of the deal: SF 5.05 million. A "snip" when set against the 84 million invested since 1997 to build the prestigious Col du Pillon cable car, and especially the costly restaurant designed by the Tessinois architect Mario Botta.

Quote:
Reste que ce rachat bernois d'installations largement financées par les contribuables vaudois laisse un goût amer dans la gorge de Philippe Nicollier, dont la commune a égaré 1,9 million dans l'affaire. «On peut dire que les Vaudois ont abandonné Glacier 3000. En même temps il faut aussi reconnaître que le modèle dual, public-privé, a montré ses limites. Nous n'avons pas la philosophie pour exploiter un tel outil. Finalement, ce rachat est une bonne solution. En elle-même, mais surtout parce que c'était la seule...»
"The fact remains that the Berne-originated purchase of infrastructure largely financed by the Vaudois taxpayer has left a bitter taste in the mouth of Philippe Nicollier, whose local authority has written off SF 1.9 million in this affair. "One might suggest that the Vaudois people have abandoned Glacier 3000. At the same time, we should recognise that the public/private collaboration model has shown its limitations. We didn't have the right approach to make this operation work. In the final analysis, this purchase is the right solution. As it stands, but especially because it was all there was on offer...."

Obviously "investment" doesn't equate to value on the company's books, but while some of the infrastructure may have depreciated (though not hugely given its recent installation) the restaurant could well have appreciated in value, in line with property prices around most of the Alps.

The final sentence is key. It was the only offer forthcoming, the receivers had little choice, it seems.
latest report
Thanks.
kuwait_ian, I've no idea why you drag the phrase "journalistic integrity" into this. All I've queried is whether Ecclestone bought assets worth any more than the amount he paid. No one has presented any evidence that he did. Presumably the assets were professionally and independently valued for the liquidator, and we have to assume that there was some sort of transparent bidding process, since the matter was clearly under intense local scrutiny by the local politicians and press.
ski holidays
David, I've PM'd.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
he will do it up and sell it to the russians.. be afraid skiers, the russians are coming they are bored of the med caost
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
since the matter was clearly under intense local scrutiny by the local politicians and press.

actually, it's not. Where's the evidence to support this remark?
snow report
All over the place.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
All over the place.

But, for example, where? It was mentioned on the local radio where I heard it which is how it came to be on MySnowSports, a few minutes after it appeared there you "reported" it as well. It's been on the radio again and in Le Temps but most people here are unaware and really not much interested.
snow conditions
ise,
Quote:

It's hard to know what to think if it turns out some of the stuff you read on the internet turns out to be just made up

I agree absolutely, and I'm clearly far too trusting and must learn not to believe all that I read. Laughing
latest report
For goodness sake....Bernie is one of a consortium.
They are capatalists.
They sought to get the best business deal they could.
They were willing buyers, the receivers were willing sellers.
If you think it was such a bargain...where was your bid?
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, The Russians have already arrived in Chamonix and Megeve, I have seen lots of them. They all seem to drive smart cars, have oodles of money and seem to like spending it wink
latest report
rungsp wrote:
For goodness sake....Bernie is one of a consortium.
They are capatalists.
They sought to get the best business deal they could.
They were willing buyers, the receivers were willing sellers.
If you think it was such a bargain...where was your bid?

Beg pardon? What's that got to do with the price of fish? Puzzled
snow report
PG, don't be so coy, you know we (MySnowSports) offered to buy them out and our bid was 99 quid and some chocolate, the deal fell apart when a leading expert valued the station as being of no interest.
snow report
ise,
Quote:

our bid was 99 quid and some chocolate

Was it Swiss chocolate?. A really good quality one might just have swung the deal. Cool
snow conditions
ise,
Quote:

the deal fell apart when a leading expert valued the station as being of no interest.

You keep on mentioning this "expert"/pundit, come on cough up the name wink
Perhaps there are more than one, and they may have a valid point that you have not disclosed here:-D
ski holidays
snowbunny, Mmmh, come on I think even I rolling eyes can work out the journalistic inference and innuendo in this one wink Although ise owes me a beer for letting me spend 10 minutes googling for the answer with no luck. My stupidity.

I remember the good old days - - before the internet when journos finished their work by 1130 am , then each off down their own little pub until catching the 1800 home to Brighton to sleep it all off. Now it seems they can work from home , still go on the razzle at 1130 am and spend the late afternoon questioning journalistic licence on websites Cool

Where's the 'ducking for cover' smiley?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy