Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowbombing Mayrhofen - how "disruptive" for families ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hoping to go to Mayrhofen in 2013 first week of April , but it looks like snowbombing may be on this week.
My wife thinks it'll be full drunks , idiots singing/shouting at 4am and will scare the kids (4 and 8 ) and doesn't want to risk it.
Is it really a week of hell for those that prefer things quiet, or is it just the usual Mayrhofen noise level?
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been during snowbombing, and concentrated on the skiing rather than the partying (didn't have a wristband or anything, just being a regular punter during that week).

Some places do get a bit rowdy, lecherous, sweary, etc. It's probably not the ideal time to go with kids. It's not 'hell' though. You can mostly avoid it (and the pistes are lovely and quiet for the most part, because the twatcrowd are all in bed with hangovers and herpes).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
not to state the obvious, but just go somewhere else?!?

your already worrying about your next year's holiday, the thought isnt going to go away and when you get there all your going to do is be upset by everyone else in resort....why bother!?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As long as you aren't central next door to one of the main venues. you'll probably not notice it much.

But some of our group did end up in the hotel just above one of the snowbombing venues once, and the rep moved them elsewhere damn sharpish next morning!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cantridepete, the family wants to go there - we know the place, kids love the ski school and the hotel and the town, that's reason enough.
It's very difficult to find somewhere else with the same facilities for what I can afford (and that means gettingn the flights in good time).
I don't want to do last minute so doing my research now.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I just got back as snowbombing was getting ready. I have also been there during SB and it is a bit roudy. I spoke to one of the hotel owners and asked his opinion and he said " we have 3500 people attending, 3350 are no problem, its the 150 who cause the problems"! My advice would be stay in a better (4 star) hotel and you are less likley to get the problem people.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowbombing might not be until 2nd week April, don't think dates have been released yet.

What hotel would you be in? With family / young kids the strass would probably be one to avoid as would most places by penken or any of the music venues.

Personally if the dates clash and that's the only time you can go I would use it as an opportunity to discover somewhere else. There was presumably a point you headed to mayrhofen wondering what to expect. Plenty of heads on here to seek out family friendly advice from.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr White, Strass is the hotel of choice - super convenient/ good facilities and (relatively) cheap.
I was in touch with them a couple of days ago and they reckon it's 1/4/2013-7/4/2013 , and they should know seeing as they host some of it.
I'd be happy to go last week of the season (6th April) but the ski school can't say if they'll be running (I suspect they will - but I would guess they may not have classes the full week - and much as I love looking after the kids, I also like to farm them off elsewhere Smile)
I'd be happy to go anywhere - but it's difficult to please everyone ..
reasonable price 4* hotel with swimming pool
snow sure, reasonable size ski area, good ski school.
Nice town to walk around - other stuff to do if not skiing.
Good transport links (preferrably from an airport serviced by Heathrow - and that probably means Munich)

I'd think about Kaltenbach, but my wife thinks it won't have the "charm" of the Hoff Puzzled
I'm open to suggestions -above criteria probably means Austria (and we like Austria!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found the strass pretty noisy especially if on the ice bar side. Agree the spa and location are great though! Think its one of the main snowbombing hotels so would be lively. From memory Kramerwirt, neuhaus, manni sport hotel etc could be worth contacting as alternative hotels.

St anton, lech, galtur, zell / kaprun should all be safe bets booking without knowing snow conditions. Ski welt from westendorf or kitzbuhel would be nice but altitude would make snow a gamble.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'd think about Kaltenbach, but my wife thinks it won't have the "charm" of the Hoff

She's right.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hamish wrote:
Mr White, Strass is the hotel of choice - super convenient/ good facilities and (relatively) cheap.
I was in touch with them a couple of days ago and they reckon it's 1/4/2013-7/4/2013 , and they should know seeing as they host some of it.
I'd be happy to go last week of the season (6th April) but the ski school can't say if they'll be running (I suspect they will - but I would guess they may not have classes the full week - and much as I love looking after the kids, I also like to farm them off elsewhere Smile)
I'd be happy to go anywhere - but it's difficult to please everyone ..
reasonable price 4* hotel with swimming pool
snow sure, reasonable size ski area, good ski school.
Nice town to walk around - other stuff to do if not skiing.
Good transport links (preferrably from an airport serviced by Heathrow - and that probably means Munich)

I'd think about Kaltenbach, but my wife thinks it won't have the "charm" of the Hoff Puzzled
I'm open to suggestions -above criteria probably means Austria (and we like Austria!)

Saalbach, but April is pushing it a wee bit there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from a week during Snowbombing (with wife and kids). We stayed in Chalet Lukas (Ingams) right at back of resort. Been to the Hoff many times, it didn't seem much different to a week at the end of Jan to be honerst, maybe slightly noisier, certainly niosier if you were expecting to do some serious apres, but with kids in tow that seems unlikely, I didn't. Strass will be noisy, what about the Zillertalerhof or the St George or the Neuhaus?

You might want to avoid the Grillhaus Alm as well, unless you want to watch the naked boarders an education for my 10 year old daughter).

If you like the area but don't want to cope with Snowbombing, why not stay in Finkenburg/Tux/Schwendau/Zell or Gerlos?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ghost Dog, - thanks for the info - we stayed in the Zillertalerhof 3 years ago, but it's a bit of a pain getting the bus - it's just that Strass is more convenient and a lot cheaper and I'm afraid that's a primary factor.
Not really sure about other villages in the valley - Mayrhofen's big enough to be "interesting" - and we've had such a good time the last couple of year's that I guess we'd prefer not to "risk" elsewhere if possible.
oh well - research continues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would agree with what others have said, Mayrhofen pistes will not be too busy, mostly the streets are not excessively noisy (except street party night) so I don't think Mayrhofen is a no-no that week for your family.

However, I would say that the Strauss will be heaving, noisy and probably not your best bet. There will be loud music until late in the night and lots of party people drinking outside the bar.

The other end of town, nearer the train station will be much quieter. I stayed in the Neuhaus and found it to be quiet as it is not directly on the main street. Yes it is a 10 minute walk or short bus ride to penken lifts, which is not as convenient, but you will get sleep at night. The prices are not too dissimilar to the Strauss, if I remember correctly.

Do look at some of the other villages, some have direct links into the ski area without having to take a bus, like those around Hippach/Ramsau or Finkenberg? I am sure there will be good value, family friendly accommodation available in these locations.

Best of luck.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ive been Snowbombing three years and I'm going next year, if your planning on staying central in the town It can be pretty loud of a night with people leaving the venues round the town as late as 5 in the morning and it is pretty loud. But hey what do you really expect from 5000 20-30 year olds who come to get drunk, listen to music and have fun. Don't think its really fair to discriminate against it, I'm sure you guys were young once and went to music festivals. Little Angel
snow report
olirampling@hotmail.co.uk, no one is discriminating. Its a question of whether it is suitable to take little people to i.e will your children be exposed to naked, drug fuelled muppets and do you find this acceptable?
snow report
I just would go somewhere else, considering it's sold as a huge party week I don't think even Mayrhofen itself would be on your side. I went this year and acts are on 'til 5am at least every night.

It's not like there aren't plenty of other places in the zillertal valley, especially if you have a car.
snow report
Hamish, You could consider the arlberg? Plenty of decent hotels in the area??

Out of interest how much were you paying for a family room at that hotel??
ski holidays
kitenski,I'd love to do the Arlberg, it's just not as convenient (or relatively cheap) to get to (we're just down the road from Heathrow, so it's the preferred connection) and Munich seems to be the only destination with reasonable price flights.
My wife doesn't really do the skiing thing so familiarity scores big points - she knows there's a few slopes she can get down in Mayrhofen, and when skiing's done the hotel's nearby with shops/cafes etc. If things go really bad then there's plenty to do.
Anyway - decision made, we'll be doing last week of season (6th-14th April) and hope ski school keeps going.
Worst case, it'll be a family holiday with maybe a little bit of skiing thrown in.
Oh- and it's 55 Euro night, 50% +25% discount for kids. OK - could probably find cheaper, but not with same convenience and facilities.
latest report
Kids in your room then? Aaargh Smile That seems pretty reasonable for the Strass tho. I was 79 euro at the Perauer this year, how do you do it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy