Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worth buying skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm new round here and recently got into skiing,

I went with school 5 years ago and loved it but never had enough money to go again, however now as a student I actually have a lot more money than previously and have got into skiing having been twice this year (Once with the Uni in Feb and once with Friends in Easter). I've got 2-4 trips planned for next season and was wondering if it's worth buying some skis.

In Feb I got a 'Silver' ski package for around £75 for the week in Val Thorens, and at Easter I got 'gold' skis for £90 in St Sorlin D'Arves. I can't remember what skis I had in VT, some generic plastic skis, but I absolutely loved the Salomon Twenty Twelves I had at Easter. Having read around on the forum people seem to dislike Salomon so does anyone have any suggestions of similar skis by other manufacturers?

Anyway I'm planning on getting some boots for next year as they're always a pain to get right (had to try on 3 pairs last time and then still took them back to get them changed) and mean you can skip most of the queue at the hire shop. My question is whether it's worth buying some 'cheap' skis to experiment with ski ownership (the logistics/economics, maintenance etc.) before taking the plunge on some nice freeride skis for the following year.

Are skis like:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/origins-lime-pack-id_8188983.html
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/upops-anthracite-pack-id_8187952.html
http://www.sportsdirect.com/volkl-sensor-1-skis-mens-922066
http://www.sportsdirect.com/atomic-fr-pro-skis-mens-922059
worth a purchase?
also what rental grade are they equivalent to? (bronze/silver/gold)

Usage wise It's mainly mucking around off piste and in parks, and general exploration.

If I buy some skis for ~£200, I'll save £120-240 on hire and then sell them for £100 at the end of the season, seems to make financial sense (although I think I'd get too attached to sell!)

Thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Answer these questions:
1. If you don't have boots you should buy some(make sure to go see a good bootfitter and see what they recommend(before you buy skis))
2. What sort of skiing do you do? (e.g 30% park 30% off piste 40% groomers)
3. Do you want a ski that will shine in any one aspect? or just a ski that's good all round
4. Do you want a twin tip?
5. How much are you willing to spend
6. Do you want a ski that's stiff and holds an edge well? or one that's soft and forgiving?
7. If your planning on getting bindings seperately(which I usually recommend) what is your weight, height, and are you hard on your skis?

May have more questions after.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. I'm definitely planning to buy some boots, any recommendations of boots/places? (SW/Midlands/Wales)
2. currently about 15% Park 20% off piste 65% groomers, but looking to do more park and off piste in future
3. probably looking for a good all round ski, liked the rockers on the Twenty Twelves though
4. not necessarily, but would be nice
5. willing to spend as much as it's worth spending (not very helpful I know), I odn't want to spend over the odds on a very high spec technical ski, but don't mind spending more on a ski that'd suit me better, anything under £400ish is reasonable I guess
6. probably soft and forgiving for now as I'm not very experienced (3 weeks, hopefully up to 7 by the end of next season) and upgrade when I feel necessary
7. I'm open to buying separately, I'm 182cm, 77KG and not particularly hard I guess

I've just takena look at the Coreupt skis for 99€, very tempting

thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Iaink wrote:
1. I'm definitely planning to buy some boots, any recommendations of boots/places? (SW/Midlands/Wales)

Well that's a big area - but for Midlands you could do a lot worse than Lockwoods in Leamington Spa.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
People seem to love salomon 2012s generally, reason I didn't think about them when I bought skis is because it'll be painfully obvious that they're not current in 2013 lol I'm not an expert but I'll still offer up my opinion as I've recently been on a ski buying binge after having never owned a pair. If you're doing 4 weeks next season it's definitely a good idea to get your own pair of skis to save money. It might depend on how you're getting to those places of course, because if you're going on an airline you'll need to think about paying extra for ski and boot carriage, which can be the price of renting skis for a week anyway. If you're driving you're just limited to the space in your car/bus.

I got a pair of Coreupt Bangers specifically for mucking around off piste (when I don't want to worry about skiing on rocks too much) and in parks just yesterday. You can't really go wrong with the deals on coreupt skis at sport-conrad right now (though they're probably nearly out of stock by now):

http://www.sport-conrad.com/Coreupt/709/pid_223

As for what you gave links to, I don't even have a clue what the first two are, I expect there's much better stuff out there. The bronze/silver/gold rental system you've used should roughly translate to beginner/intermediate/advanced skis, so the Volkl and Atomic skis in your 3rd and 4th links would be bronze skis. If you've done a couple of weeks recently and are confident, I wouldn't think about getting beginner skis as you'll find yourself growing out of them. Considering you've got multiple trips planned for next season you might want to think about a ski you'll grow into - some people would say it's much better to grow into your ski and find yourself starting to make the most of it than growing out of your ski and ending up frustrated with its lack of performance. That's a matter of taste but in my humble (inexperienced) opinion growing into your ski will be much more fun, and that's what skiing's all about.

For off-piste you won't want an extremely skinny ski, but as you've not got a huge wealth of experience yet it's better not getting a fat rockered ski or anything as that's not going to do your technique much good. I'd guess you should be looking for mid-intermediate/early-advanced (on some ratings they have a skill level guide for the ski, you might want something which says 5-7 for example) all mountain ski. Basically it'll be a traditional looking ski but a bit wider underfoot, something with a bit of a tail at the end (not a twin tip though) you might appreciate if you're going to be in the park a bit. Actually something I was on last month definitely felt intermediate but it was so easy to use I didn't really care, it'll do anything and is a traditional shape for you to improve your technique on, check out the K2 Apache Recons.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/k2-apache-recon-marker-mx-120-bindings.aspx

In their description they say it's an expert ski, but that is COMPLETE BS. Mind you I was on a previous year's edition, but it'll have been very similar if not the same. The only downside I can see is it might be a bit heavy for the park, but you're not exactly going to be pulling cork 12s or double rodeos so it's probably not going to be a problem. If anything it's a very solid ski so you won't break it when you smash the tips into a box or something. Smile

Don't just listen to me, I hope I've put across a good point, but some of the people here are real experts so will also be able to help. I don't think you can go too wrong with a pair of coreupt skis at those prices though (but you would need bindings also) as long as you find some which sound like what you're after. As I said the bangers sound perfect, though maybe not great for improving on which I'd say should be your main focus for the ski.

Edit: don't worry about bindings just yet. If they're in a package great, but you can buy them second hand off people here occasionally and you should make sure you buy the best ski for you above anything.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 2-05-12 17:04; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boots first Very Happy spend your money on the boots, skis are a consumable item boots are not Very Happy

if your looking at skis some of this years offerings from Armada may be right up your street, the ARV and T-Hall's may be worth a look. Usulally some good deals to be had from the likes of freezepro around this time of year.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 2-05-12 17:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What bindings would go well with the Coreupt Banger? like the look of that, it's similar (in shape anyway) to the twenty twevles, and at that price it's hard to say no! I think if I go for something like that it'll do me for next season and I'll move on from there
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Iaink wrote:
What bindings would go well with the Coreupt Banger? like the look of that, it's similar (in shape anyway) to the twenty twevles, and at that price it's hard to say no! I think if I go for something like that it'll do me for next season and I'll move on from there

Everyone here loves Vist bindings, and sounds like you can't go wrong with them, you can get them from spyderjon here who's website is www.jonsskituning.co.uk

That being said, for my bangers I'm thinking of getting some marker M10 bindings for their light weight in the park.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Danny, I guarantee unless your hiking the park that you won't notice a difference with the weight. I recommend getting a durable binding, as one that often breaks is just a nightmare. I was going to recommend the ARV as well, so might be worth giving that a look. Look for a 12/14 din binding I'd say.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 2-05-12 17:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Iaink, The Coreupt skis on the sport-conrad.com site are still at 99 Euros, but there's very little choice left.

Also an idea to regularly look on Ebay as one or two traders/distributors sell off stock out of season. Some BNWT Storm skis sold by "Consiege" are a case in point and have very tempting prices and a varied selection. Bindings are also available. Advice ............... DON'T overspend/bid! Check out what similar items have gone for.

Ebay have some great boot deals. Go to your local ski shop and try on the sort of boots you may want to buy so you get an idea of the real size of ski-boot that could be best, but also it's about the ski-boot last/width. Know what might be what you are after. Worst case scenario............. you put kit back on Ebay if it's not right.

Or take a chance on some pre-owned skis, but do your homework so you know what you are really looking for. And your very positive idea about selling after a few weeks' use is spot on! But make sure the bases/edges are serviced prior to selling on. I reckon that my skis (plural) do not cost more than £35 - £40 per week's usage, and my boots stand me in credit this year as I sold (after 4 season's use) for a tad more than I bought a BNWT better newer piece of kit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
do they all have standard fittings? If so I might take the plunge on the Coreupt Bangers tonight and think about getting some bindings from the classified section
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DannyB01, The Bangers are a damn good buy!!

AND .......... a good call on the Vist bindings, I got 3 similar sets at the mo, but have had several others (614's, 816's and even a 1018!). I swear by them absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 2-05-12 17:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Iaink wrote:
do they all have standard fittings? If so I might take the plunge on the Coreupt Bangers tonight and think about getting some bindings from the classified section

There's a few SnowHeads that could help you there.

Alternatively there are some very reasonable Head (Storm Livery) on Ebay for £69.00-ish. Go up to DIN 12, decent bit of kit that usually goes for £130-plus.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mag1882 wrote:
Danny, I guarantee unless your hiking the park that you won't notice a difference with the weight...

Lower weight is certainly never a bad thing in the park though, and a DIN setting of 10 will be more than high enough. More importantly, I'm going for them because they're cheap. rolling eyes

theskibob - yup and they look awesome too!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DannyB01, Yeah that's fair enough, I know I'd like to have a low weight binding, because I'm hiking with my skis in my hand a good few hours a day, but I really can't sacrifice durability, If Iaink, you're looking for some bindings I'm selling some marker griffons for £85, really light 12 din binding.
snow report
this is very much an impulse buy but I can't pass on the Coreupt Bangers, are they the best of the ones left? Heck for that price just 2 weeks usage make it's worthwhile!

Length wise what would you recommend? I've heard to go with slightly longer skis because of the rocker, but I general prefer slightly shorter skis to help in the turns, I'm 183cm, I was going to get the 174cm ones
ski holidays
Iaink - definitely the best ones left, at least for what you've said. Get them.

Edit: you should definitely be getting the 174cm ones.
latest report
I'm 174cm and I was planning on going for the 181s on yards(without rocker) but I didn't because I'm planning on using them on my summer setup, so given your height and given the fact they have a rocker I would definately go for 184s. It sucks to have skis that are too short but too long you can get used to.
snow conditions
DannyB, please provide a reason for this?
ski holidays
mag1882 - he's intermediate and looking for something he can use in the park. I wouldn't think he'll want something over his head.
latest report
I had some 171cm twin rockers at Easter and they seemed fine, what difference would you notice and how much of a difference?
snow report
Iaink, With the rocker in the Banger best go bigger, you won't really spot the difference as you improve/progress. A shorter ski you may just regret.
snow report
theskibob - fair point about the rocker. I had somehow forgotten it had that. Fail.
snow conditions
Do you ski park danny? And The longer ski will be much more stable on landings.
ski holidays
Check out the Global SkiPass take on the Banger.....
http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/coreupt/banger-1.html

[/i]
ski holidays
185cms In my basket ready to go, anythign else to buy while I'm at it? (I assume the shipping will stay at 25€) Poles? New Jacket? any bargains on the site?

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/14758

worth a buy? don't know if that's a good buy or not because I don't know how much they cost!
latest report
mag1882 I'm just going on everything I've learnt from looking around, I suck but I do it a bit of park yeah (I'm hoping to get much better when I do my season). 184cm still sounds pretty big but I'm not as informed as you guys. Then again, 174cm does sound too small for someone 183cm, that's like, below the nose. Think I'm getting my own sizes confused here as I was just thinking about this yesterday, 174cm is eye height for me so would be perfect I thought.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 2-05-12 17:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Poles wise I would just go down to your local shop and see what they have for less than £15. poles don't matter. And never judge something by it's RRP, if you really need a ski bag look for a cheap one. Well each to their own danny, I know I'd much rather have a longer ski, I managed to ski a 184 carving ski after about an hour, and the ski he's getting has rocker AND it's a twin tip. Most people recommend I ski 180+.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just for your info every pair of skis ever sold second hand have "only 2 weeks of use"
snow conditions
mag1882 - out of interest how tall are you? I'm only 5'10". Sad A 184cm carving ski is far beyond me, but sounds like you'll be more able to use it. The directors I'm getting are 188cm but they have just 1m effective edge!

I also don't understand the point of expensive poles. Except for leki ones look pro. snowHead
snow conditions
1m? that is actually CRAZY. and I'm 5'8 haha, DannyB01,
latest report
mag1882 - I know yeah, can't understand how it's so short but that's what they say! Somehow it's meant to be versatile too, guess we'll see about that when I finally use it. Laughing I was fully expecting you to say like 6'4" if you've been on a carving ski like that, was it an FIS racing ski or something?
snow conditions
Just ordered along with the ski bag, can't wait to give them a go at xmas!

This will sound like a really stupid question but I know you can use normal skis on a dry ski slope, but is there any risk of damage from the dry surface?
snow conditions
Iaink, apparently not too badly if you service them properly http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=466 I know you can get specific dry slope waxes so that'll probably help too. I was wondering the same yesterday too.
ski holidays
Yeah apparently a lot more friction, I was talking to some guy on a lift once who said he bombed it down a dry slope of some sort in the past and afterwords his bases were too hot to touch haha. And idk what they were, they were, they were my aunties skis.
latest report
I yhink I'll just stick to hire skis if I go to a dry slope, I'll give them a go at an indoor fridge at some point though
snow report
Iaink, ski boots are the next step then. snowHead This is the place people most recommend from what i've seen: http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/ It's in Bicester.
snow report
How much would I be looking to spend on a good fitting pair of boots from there?
ski holidays
Iaink, I'll opt out, I don't have a clue! lol I'd hazard a guess it'll be the boot shell price plus a couple of hundred quid for the fitting and custom parts. Apparently it couldn't be more worth it though.
snow report
my boot budget would be about £2-300, could I buy some boots from elsewhere and if I feel they don't fit properly, take them to be fitted?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy