Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Length

Poster: A snowHead
My wife currently skis 160cm carving skis. having skiied for some 14 years (6 as a ski-to-luncher and then 8 more seriously) she's firmly ensconced on the imtermediate plateau

as some regular will know, her current skis are on death's door after only 3 seasons, so I'm looking for new ones: I;ve spotted some on ebay that I have my eye on. They're a fairly advanced model oriented towards piste carving. I've initially got my eye one 163cm model but there's also a 155.

She's 5'4" and weighs 120 lbs or so. according to the snow and dock catalogue, 160 is right: do you think 155 would be too short?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For on-piste skiing I'd say go for the 155.

There are many instructors at 5'10'' and taller who ski on 165 slaloms on groomed runs. I cannot think of anything except off-piste for which she would need the longer skis. On the other hand, a slightly shorter ski may help her advance beyond the current plateau.

What are the dimensions of the skis (width tip-underfoot-tail)?

(my current skis are 173s, I'm 5'11'' and I haven't yet found a speed limit on them . I tried, too).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dimensions are 113-65-100, apparently. That give a turn radius of 13.2m, and the ski is aimed at "Expert, athletic skiers with skiercross ambitions"

We might play in the powder if it's really nice but it will be 90% piste runnning, so not too bothered about getting a wider waisted ski - not too sure about that turning radius, that seems like it's made for shorter radius, almost slalom like turn rather than cruising - maybe worth looking at a model lower in the range that finishes in a couple of days time.

the 155's have now gone up to the same price as the 163's thought Shock(

Will see what Mrs NBT thinks: if she famcies this ski I'll bid on the 163 and if I lose out try for the 155 as it closes 5 minutes later. Otherwise, will wait for the lower models which close in a couple of day's time

it's hard work this, trying to choose and buy skis when you can't try them out first

Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're right, that's a slalom-like tight turn radius. Those slalom and skiercross skis are better skied in short lengths (the FIS had to impose a minimum length of 165 cm for slalom events). I'd still go for the 155 but it's your call.

What's the model? Won't they be too much for her if they're aimed at expert, athletic skiers? (sorry for presuming, but you said she was intermediate). I do quite a lot of advanced skiing but even so I'd stay off skis aimed at experts only - too tiring for a full day.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, that's got me worried. The skis on ebay are Blizzard SXP. The lower models are Blizzard CXP
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt: what Cedric says!
(and I've skiied with him - he's a lot closer to an expert than I am)
For her weight, 155 would be plenty.

Cedric, if I remember, Bob Barnes is on 163 Fischers as his main ski.
Joan Rostad, who is in a couple of my photos, and IS an expert, is on about a 160, and is probably a similar height/weight to mrs nbt.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blizzard skis are fairly obscure and hard to get hold of in the UK, and I can't comment on the particular ones you mention, and I'm surprised your wife's skis are on death's door after only 3 seasons! But if she really has "plateaud" it may be worth her having a few lessons, instead of buying new gear. About 10ys ago I had a couple of weeks of lessons, after skiing for 10yrs without them, and having plateaud at the "pretty good on most pistes, but hopeless on icy blacks or off-piste" stage. My skiing improved a LOT in the next few seasons!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers plake: we're suprised too, but there ouy are: the ptex is too thin to take a patch on a nasty gouge, and the edges are getting thin too. It;s a whoel thing that was discussed before

the ksis iwas looking at were on Ebay and buggeration, I;ve missed them : my max bid was passed with 5 mintes to go Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not surprised nbt - you seem to have lost it there Laughing

I echo the comments above, go for the shorter - even large blokes can carve super turns on hardpack on 99 cm blades. It's only in the soft stuff or if you crave warp speed that you need fatter and/or longer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Forget length, it's girth that's important!!

Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So what is the deal with new ski lengths, I noticed in the cable car this year that my first generation Rossi Bandits were about the only ones over head height at 184, and that was down from my very old K2's at 200.

If I were looking at the newer skis what should I be looking at Question

(5'11", 185lbs, trying to ski off piste when can, couple of weeks a year at best)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc, I'm a similar height & weight as you. My on-piste skis are 176 (Salomon 3V), my off piste are 179 (K2 SPs, like you didn't know!), and they are only that long to cope with champagne powder in Utah.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been reading everyones comments on the lenght of skis that they should have. I'm 5ft 9 & a bit & I ski at intermediate advanced level, what sort of skis would you recomend, last year I hired atomic carving skis, not quite sure what hieght they were but they were smaller than me. They felt very comfortable to ski on & my carving was great for my standard.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try a couple of different lengths. You sound a very similar height and level to me. I use 160cm Atomics - quite short radius, more S than GS. What type of skiing do you prefer? Bumps? Bit of off-piste? Groomed or steeps? Are you more of a technical skier or a speed demon?

I prefer shorter, since it gives the others a chance to keep up. NehNeh Only kidding, but I do tend to prefer shorter skis - it's all personal though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanx for your reply masopa. I'm going to kitzbulhe next year with seven other friends, so i shall take your advice on your choice of skis.

I don't like bumps one bit to sore on the knees, I've only gone off-piste a few times & it takes a bit of getting use to, but I'm going to have another go next year. I really do like groomed slopes so i can practice my technical skiing. I do go fast, but not to fast. Do you have your own boots and what kind are they?
snow conditions
Get your own boots as soon as you can, Harvs - as for what kind, don;t ask what other people use, boots are a lot more presonal than skis so get what's most comfortable for you. Read nadenoodle's thread for more info and general views

BTW, we went for 155 skis for Mrs NBT in the end, and I've bought some 165 pockets rockets for myself Shock)
snow conditions
harvs, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, a properly fitting pair of boots will make more of a difference to your skiing than anything else.
snow conditions
harvs, find boots shaped like your feet. To tell, pull out the liners and stick your bare feet in. You want a shell shaped somewhat like your feet and only about 2-3cm longer than your foot. Then, stick the liner in and see how they fit...!
snow report
thanx guys for your knowledge & experience, I've just gone & bought a pair of ski boots (solamon xwave) & they fit like a glove & thats without the moulded insoles. Any tips on how to keep the boots in tip top condition when not wearing them & after a skiing holiday.
latest report
Whehn you get back off the holiday, take the liners out and let them dry - then put them back in!

get yourself proper insoles, they'll make all the difference

leave the boots clipped up when not wearing them so they stay in the right shape

enjoy your skiing
latest report
harvs wrote:
I've just gone & bought a pair of ski boots

Oh, so YOU'VE just gone and bought a pair of ski boots have YOU Harvs?!!! Laughing As for the speed demon thing, unless you're ready to fly, you ain't going skiing with me, don't care what length your skis are! NehNeh
snow report
I bought some 2m15 Hagen skis (when I lived in Munich, circa 1988). Excellent for downhill/speed skiing and not having to 'pole' too much! Now I live in the UK and it tends to be just as easy to hire the shorter bouncier skis for carving etc. The big Question is - what can I do with these long things? Does anybody want them - going for a song - they've got some excellent Salomon bindings.
ski holidays
Nsedgwick, This thread is over 6 years old?,

in answer to your question...take them to the council tip...and the bindings as well that are 22 years old
snow report
Nsedgwick, swap them for these

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=65693

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
Nsedgwick, if the bindings really are excellent and still indemnified (doubtful) take them off and sell them and make some furtniture out of the skis
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy