Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suspended sentence for Instructor after Orelle avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://alpes.france3.fr/info/albertville--12-mois-de-sursis-pour-le-moniteur-73678472.html

On December 31, 2009, in Orelle, Maurienne, a skier was caught in an avalanche. Two monitors were prosecuted. The court sentenced the instructor who was skiing ahead to 12 months suspended sentence and various fines. The second was acquitted. No disqualification has been imposed contrary to the prosecutor's request.

Not sure if the two were Guides or instructors they are referred to as moniteurs which translates as Instructor. Maybe someone more local could suggest if they were Guides or Instructors.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Moniteur for me usually implies a group leader, e.g. a UCPA guy or tour-op ski host leading clients around, rather than a teacher. The snowhead with a place in Bareges referred to himself as a "moniteur" on that TF3 video he posted
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Moniteur" is used very loosely in France.

It can be an actual official qualification, or just referring to someone simply looking after a group.
A bit like "Engineer" in the UK..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
....or a snowhead "leading" a group of fellow snowheads despite the fact that no consideration has passed? I understand that there is some fairly murky water you can get into fairly quickly, one man's "mates" is another's "moniteur & clients".
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, as far as I am aware they were both instructors for the ESF in Val Thorens.

Moniteur in France usually implies an instructor with a qualification (be it skiing, sailing etc). People referring to themselves as Moniteurs but without qualifications are treading murky waters... (especially "moniteurs de nage en eaux troubles"...)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think fatbob was talking about people who call themselves moniteurs but those who the courts might decide were in that capacity because they were more experienced than the others or knew the resort better. This latter is a worrying subject for those of us who ski off piste, sometimes without a proper guide.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy