Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tech resit or retake?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so anyone reading the current BASI news will know that I have a little problem with my piste longs Embarassed and ended up with level 2 for that. (Everything else was evenly split level 4/3)

Question is when you do a tech resit will they only be looking at your progress in the skill that you require or will they be re-assesing you against all the skills? could you for example pass against a previously failed skill and fail against a previously passed skill?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-05-12 20:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think, but might be wrong, that you have to reach the standard in all the elements when you re-sit. Previous performance is not taken in to account.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Rob, that was what I thought,

I may just take the full course again as there is more flexibilty on dates/locations
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
has your skking improved ?
It may be an idea to check
in each of the big fridges in the uk there is a trainer. Not sure about this but it may be possible to book a lesson with a trainer and you could ask them to give you some feedback.

Just an idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
has your skking improved ?
It may be an idea to check
in each of the big fridges in the uk there is a trainer. Not sure about this but it may be possible to book a lesson with a trainer and you could ask them to give you some feedback.

Just an idea.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, Smile I have been working on it Embarassed

The reccomendation of the feedback was to try to resit before the end of the season. Im not going to go with that timeframe though as I think I need more time to get to aquired in the movement pattern, even if it was a "nearly there" originally.

Its a good idea to try and get a session with one of the trainers though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't you have to be at 5 in piste longs? Shocked

(We do on snowboards at L2).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy good slalom ski to help performance.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevomcd, you do have to be a Level 5 at piste longs (i.e. carving) which IIRC means an almost autonomous action.

kevindonkleywood, quite a gap between Level 2 and 5 but if you're ok at everything else you should be able to pick it up. I would make absolutely sure you're at the level before you do the resit so you don't waste your money. If you're not a borderline candidate (which you shouldn't be once you've sorted the carving) there's no point in retaking the whole course.

I don't know what you ski on but IMO the best way to learn carving is on a ski with around a 70mm waist and a turn radius of 15-17m. A slalom ski turns too tightly to be relaxed on if you're not used to the feelings. Go somewhere with a load of long blue runs where it's easy to stop and look back up the hill at your tracks to be sure they're clean, sharp, tramlines all around the arc, especially at the apex which IME is where most people screw it up. If your tramlines are clean, you'll pass.

Alternatively, get some blades. No, really. Especially if you've only got a fridge to play in. I was first taught to carve by the renowned Phil Smith (Snoworx now, was then The Ski Company?) on one of his performance courses when he took the whole group out for a half day on blades. The logic was simple - blades are ONLY stable when in a carve. You very quickly learn what the correct feelings and movements are to keep them stable on an edge throughout the turn (think long leg, short leg). Once you know what the feeling is, it's easy to transfer the movements to a normal ski and recognise the correct feedback from the snow. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raceplate, stevomcd, they dont use levels 1-6 anymore for assessment...

if you only missed one strand take the resit but train your ass off until you are above the level for that strand, not there or there abouts, you look solid, trainer recons i should be okay. etc... in the exam you will most likely pucker up a bit and not perform when the trainers are looking so factor that in..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
Raceplate, stevomcd, they dont use levels 1-6 anymore for assessment...

Fair enough, wondered if I might be out of date! So what is the current grading structure and what score do you need at carving? I assume 'piste longs' does effectively mean carving?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raceplate, they have separated the performance rating from where you are on the learner phases

Ratings are now 1 not at level, 2 nearly at level, 3 at leve 4 beyond, this is used at all Levels now instead of the old way of at level 4 you needed to be 4/6 and L3 ISIA 5/6.. now you need to score 3's to pass for any course.

you are still given a learning phase "grade" as well but not a number but early or late cognitive, associative or autonomous to tell you if you need to practice more in an area.

better in my view
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

early or late cognitive, associative or autonomous

Interesting thread. Could you fill us in a little on what this means?

Thanks.

Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
evski wrote:
Quote:

Interesting thread. Could you fill us in a little on what this means?

Thanks.

Puzzled

Google "Fits and Posner"
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
evski wrote:
Quote:

Could you fill us in a little on what this means?

Paul Fitts and Michael Posner (1967) the 3 stage learning process.
Eg. (1)What is it, (2)oh yeah, (3)I can do that.

The basics are:
Note - I have used the word "skill" as this is a ski forum, F&P can be (and is) used in many different applications not just skill learning

Cognitive Stage:
This is the first stage of learning when the “cognitive” aspects of a particular skill are absorbed by a student. The ski teacher may inform the student that a skill exists, demonstrate the skill and so the student become aware of it and starts to get an understanding of what is required to perform the skill. Of course in this stage the student makes many errors and they require guidance and lots of practice under supervision.

The Associative Stage:
The next level. The student can now understand the skill and can perform it with some amount of refinement. This is what could be termed the “practice makes perfect” stage. As the student can now perform the skill to a higher standard it will require less concentration but it will still need some training and the instructor will still need correct any errors although this (correction) will focus on specific sections of the skill, rather than the skill itself.

The Autonomous Stage:
The last stage. The student can now perform the skill/action/etc and it has become almost automatic. In this last stage the student will start to practice variations of the skill.

wink Just my two-penny-worth Madeye-Smiley

There are many theories concerning skill acquisition and most (not all, but most) don’t take into account, or if they do, IMO, they don’t pay enough attention to, the “how" section of learning. In fact many simply ignore this aspect and stamp on through the application as if a person is a machine that can be programmed. Whilst Fitts and Posner (F&P) “may” be applicable to BASI L3 and L4 I would suggest that is way to simplistic at L2 and definitely at L1.

F&P does not allow for people’s widely differing reaction to the same process.

F&P was never meant to be used as a guide for assessment. (BASI please take note)

F&P rely on a common process for all learning and (again, in my opinion) is an inadequate model when used to describe the learning/acquisition process, as it focuses on the process rather than the outcome.

As a technical theory it was ok, but as a model to be employed by BASI as a definition of learning (and modular assessment), I feel it leaves much to be desired.

Process-orientation was, in the 60’s, the by-word for learning, things have moved on since then. Just because lots of people (still) do something doesn’t make it right.
snow report
Quote:

Alternatively, get some blades. No, really. Especially if you've only got a fridge to play in. I was first taught to carve by the renowned Phil Smith (Snoworx now, was then The Ski Company?) on one of his performance courses when he took the whole group out for a half day on blades. The logic was simple - blades are ONLY stable when in a carve.

My skiing is not at the level being discussed here, but I was interested in this comment because I did the same thing on a Ski Company performance course (not Phil Smith, but Dave Peek, was the instructor for the group I was in and was working to the Smith system), some years ago. I found it a very useful morning (though I'd used blades before so didn't wobble around as much as some when we first put them on wink ).

I'm still not great at carving, though...... Embarassed Maybe ought to get back on some blades!
snow report
kevindonkleywood, Join your local race club..best way to sort your skiing ! I would not bother with a re-sit, just do the whole thing again.. much easier on you. I did the same on my (then) Grade 2 tech in 1994/5 snowHead
snow conditions
Oops.
ski holidays
Wayne, Thanks very much for the explanation.
latest report
kevindonkleywood, for my two penneth worth I think they will concentrate on your carving when you take the resit and how much you have progressed over the week but you still will need to be at the level in the other areas on the last day.

Are you going to do the whole two weeks again or just the one week tech as I only ever see Hintertux popping up as an option and its not that easy to get to from Newcastle.

I like ski's idea about going to a race club ( silksworth for us) but I worry about been the only old bloke there as the kids dont want to go and I can't ski gates. But I know I should as i want to do the Coach development course to start ticking a few of the level 3 boxes.
snow report
Curtains, you wouldn't be the only old bloke at Silksworth, as there are several Ravens masters racing on the dry-slope national circuit -although they are pretty good Sad - and I see there were also a few from the Tigers dipping their toes in the water at in last year's Sunderland Club National race (but they clearly found it a lot more difficult).
snow conditions
GrahamN, I took my kids for a couple of months two years ago but they didnt enjoy it, I did but didnt get much better it has to be said Sad .

Having done my level 2 this year my skiing has improved and I can now carve ( it took 2 weeks of practice to get to the level so i know what kevindonkleywood, went through) -

Its strange that I should feel uneasy at the thought of going without kids and been old - know if I could drag kevindonkleywood, along to that would be better - unless he/she is only 16 lol Toofy Grin

I would be curious to find out how good at gates you need to be to pass the coach development level 1 course Puzzled
snow report
Curtains wrote:
I would be curious to find out how good at gates you need to be to pass the coach development level 1 course Puzzled
I can't remember doing any gates when I did Coach 1. Lots in Coach 2, slalom and GS, both setting and running.
ski holidays
rob@rar, cheers

it was just that on the BASI site it said :

Students are assessed on their ability to ski slalom and giant slalom turns on easy blue piste terrain as well as their ability to reflect on their coaching.

I presumed that if I did it in a fridge we would end up sking some gates but I shouldn't have assumed that cause it doesnt really say that Embarassed

skiin gates still has to be good for your overall skiing so I might bite the bullet and go next week Toofy Grin
latest report
Curtains, definitely go and do some gates. Great fun and good training. It was a couple of years ago that I did Coach 1 and it has changed since then, so it might include gates now.
snow conditions
Not sure if this will be any good as was a few years ago and it may have all changed since then, also this was the L2 coach not L1. But it may be of some interest.

Copied from an old thread on Sh's.

Greetings from the hotel Hohenhaus in Hintertux.
If you are thinking of doing your level 2 coach this may be a little help. BUT note that each course is different so your course may not run like this but I have been told is quite standard.

Skiing standard
IMO to pass easily you will need to be an ISIA tech level (I would take it first to save money ?). There is an “enormous” difference in the skiing ability needed for the level 1 coach and the level 2.
Hope this helps as there are sod all details on the basi website.
Difference between Outside and Inside gates
Distances between gates
Etc
Then set up the course as a group with correct distances (across and down the hill) between gates.
Ski the GS course a number of times

Drills
• Jumping (Fore and Aft movement)
o Poles are laid flat on the floor across the fall line a couple of meters apart. Then you ski (schuss) down and jump over each pole – you must not touch any of the poles.
o As last but with odd number obstacles being 2 poles stuck in floor and crossed (making an A shape). Schuss down jumping over even numbered obstacles and under odd numbers. (Fore, Aft and Vertical movement) this is a quite fast drill as you are schussing, so picking up a good amount of speed.
• 1 Leg skiing on both legs (Lateral movement)
o Progression – Travers on 1 leg – Traverse on 1 leg, hopping on the leg – Traverse and turn (1 leg) hopping – ski 1 leg / fall line rolling – 1 leg carving. At this level you should not just be able to do it, but do it stacked. Note, Stacked (on 1 leg) is a higher, more upright stance than normal.

Afternoon
Lectures and discussions on biomechanics
Demonstration and methods of ski service
• New (just out of the box) ski service
Filing various edge angles
• Waxing
• Etc

Day 2

Group split into smaller groups to set up course using correct distances between gates.
Ski gate quite a few times with feedback.
Generally not looking for tremendous speed but rather a flowing controlled run

Drills
Set 2 lines of parallel stubbies down the fall line (quite steep). Distance between them a few centimetres more than your ski length – in all of these a fail is if you touch the stubbies.
• Side slipping (fore and aft movement)
o (Not so) simple side slip each way down track
o Falling leaf around stubbies (fore and aft and rotational movements)
o Sliding turns in the track (fore and aft and rotational movements and control)
• Slide down track and turn the opposite direction
o Stem turn
o Jump turn
o Rotational spin
• Hockey stop inn tracks (fore and aft movements)
• Ski down to tracks in schuss from above into tracks then stop (not as simple as it sounds)

Change over and change under drills (after lunch)
Did not do these as had to go to village as took a massive wipe out below the gates. Really thankful was wearing good quality helmet but even with that was not too good afterwards. Was the biggest, fastest and worst wipe-out have had in over 30 years of skiing (and I have lots). But am told that being unconscious as you cart wheel down the slope is best bet and you’re more relaxed – so that’s OK then ?

Afternoon
Lectures and discussions on reviewing skills and action plans.

Day3
Still can’t lift my right arm above lower chest height, have to put boots on in hotel room as can’t bend down as lower back is also well battered (still) from wipe out, but will give it a go. (ha ha must admit that pathetic attempt to put on my socks takes over 10 minutes)

Set up gates
Set up stubby course above gates
Set up stubby box (2.5m wide by 10m down)

Stubby course is set so you go from that straight into this gates, this gives you chance to get into momentum prior to hitting gates. Few times down this run with feed back if wanted after each run.

Drills
• Hockey stops (test Pass or Fail, rotation and fore and aft movement)
o Schuss down hill into stubby box then stop without touching stubbies. Do this with stop in both directions.
• One leg skiing (test P or F, balance, extension and lateral movement)
o Carve down red run on one ski. Stay in corridor about 4m wide showing good edging with no rotation.
• White Pass turns (test P or F, extension and lateral movement)
o These involve lifting the out ski at the start of the turn and place back on ground in fall-line. It’s important to extend up and into the turn (on one leg). Note these are not the same as charlestons.
• Some other turn which never got the name of ? (test P or F, Timing)
o In a carved turn tap you down hill pole at the fall line and then again in the middle of the turn and at the start of the next – on the last tap lift your new inside ski and carve on one leg to the fall line then put it down and start again.

Afternoon
Video review of gates runs
Practice of off-snow exercises and self tests for balance (great fun and highly amusing to everyone watching you)

Go up in morning set up gates.
Do all drills (see above) to a high standard of accuracy and you will pass, don’t and you won’t. Dead simple.
Do timed race around the gates showing good GS technique. Again, you need to do this.

If you come to Hintertux to do it – take down gates and ski down the bumps with them on your shoulder as it’s the only route back to the cable car.

PS, I passed.
snow report
Wayne wrote:

F&P was never meant to be used as a guide for assessment. (BASI please take note)

wayne, they have done and now you are assessed 1-4 as per my post above....
ski holidays
Wayne, thanks - I found there was a jump between level 1 to 2 Alpine and know thats its a massive step up to level 3.

Since I have never really skied gates and havent been told the correct line/timing etc I think I might struggle even at level 1 as its only a three day course. that why i thought about doing gates over the summer and doing the development coach at a dome in October.

Pleased you passed - i take it you did it enroute to your level 4 Smile - I think I have watched some of your you tube videos of you doing the bumps on tommeuses in a strange hat Laughing ( sorry if its not you tho lol)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Curtains wrote:
I think I have watched some of your you tube videos of you doing the bumps on tommeuses in a strange hat Laughing

That's when I was an L2, and skiing bumps at L2 level, you need to be better than I was then for L3 ( I think I've got a little better since then).
I think there are some videos on the BASI site that show you what is needed for most awards. Not sure but maybe there is something on there for the Coaching stuff as well ?? who knows

Mind you, for anything to do with BASI L's, you're best off asking a trainer as I know sod all about what's needed for them - anyway my green fishing hat is waaaaay to stupid for bumps Toofy Grin
ski holidays
There is an official BASI youtube channel. Don't think there are any coach course levels on there yet though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialBASI?feature=watch
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Wayne wrote:

wayne, they have done and now you are assessed 1-4 as per my post above....

I think you're misunderstanding the assessment of BASI students with the methods BASI outline for students in a ski school enviroment to absorb/learn a skill-set (see manual p154)

BASI is not using F&P to assess people on BASI assessments. They can't be as there are only 3 sections to F&P maybe they using something else??

It the F&P theory there are 3 (not 4) stages.
1 Cognitive - A student learns and develops an understanding of an action requiring a number of segmented interconnections, e.g a skill requiring more than one action.
2 Associative – The student practices the segmented interconnection
3 Autonomous – The student can perform the action and each segmented interconnection without much effort. IT IS NOT, as shown in the BASI manual p157 , a stage where something can be done "without thinking". Although it could be thought of as a time when not much cognative effort is needed but this does NOT mean without thinking.
snow report
Curtains,
You should be ok with the L1 coach as there is no course setting or skiing of courses on this. It's probably best to do this, then work with other coaches and do some race training yourself (SL and GS) before going for the L2 as the skiing standard of the L2 is significantly higher than the 1.

There are a number of L1's being run over the summer by both BASI and UKSS (SSE). As a BASI member, you can attend either. the courses are the same and will count for both organisations.
latest report
Wayne wrote:
They can't be as there are only 3 sections to F&P maybe they using something else??
Each F&P stage was subdivided in to two steps, hence 6 point grading. They switched to a 4 point scale midway through last season I think. skimottaret will have more recent experience of how each point on the scale is described as he was assessed against it last week.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 9-05-12 9:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Yeah you're right about that.

I think they are still using the old system but just with a few extra bits chucked in.
1 Never heard of it
2 Yep, know what it is but can't do it but i'll have a go
3 yeah I can sort of do it
4 I can do it most of the time
5 I can do it
6 sorted
ski holidays
Wayne, sorry i guess i am not being clear... from my post above but let me rephrase it..

BASI have separated your assessment grade from where you are on the F&P learner phases

Your PASS FAIL assessment is now based solely on your actual performance irrespective of what stage of learning you may be at and is given to you as

1 not at level
2 nearly at level
3 at level
4 beyond the level

This is used at all Levels now instead of the old way of at say at level 4 ISTD you needed to be 5/6 on the F&P scale and at L2 only 3/6 on say bumps.

So, for example you are an ex ski racer and can perform the task at L2 shorts but you have been asked to make substantive changes and are still in the early practice/associative phase with all the changes asked of you but are still able to perform the task at the required level for your exam so you get a passing grade of 3 (at the level). They have eliminated the number scheme for the learner phases to avoid confusion and to get people to understand the learning phases better

you are still given a learning phase "mark" as well but not a number but early or late cognitive (EC LC), associative (E Ass L Ass) or autonomous (E Aut L Aut) to help guide you to the areas that need more attention.
They have gone back to the terms of Cognitive, Associative and Autonomous which I find confusing as opposed to Awareness, Practice and Acquired which I find more understandable and less scientific, but that just me...

you need to score 3's (at the level) to pass and strand in any course. You are also given a estimate by the trainer of what learning phase you are in on each task so you can continue your development after the course, much better in my view.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
They have gone back to the terms of Cognitive, Associative and Autonomous which I find confusing as opposed to Awareness, Practice and Acquired which I find more understandable and less scientific, but that just me...
And me. I also think there is a step below Awareness that I like to think of as the WTF? stage.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Last week I found myself at the old zero phase "I don't know" aka the WTF stage when asked to do a drill i hadn't seen before and couldn't comprehend let alone attempt Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Thanks for that. Very informative.
Poss I should go and do some BASI courses now and again just to see what's going on.
(Maybe I would get put down to L1 again Laughing )

Not sure why they keep changing stuff all the time, I would vote for:
Early = WTF was that
Late = that wasn't exactly what I asked you to do now was it"

Early = not sure this is working, is it, have you ever considered another sport
Late = You're getting there

Early = But can you do it on a slope that's not blue
Late = Hmmmmm, yeah not too bad

Early = yep, that's about right
Late = OK, OK, but can you do this
snow report
with kids assessments on where they are at i use

I'm Stumpted
Frustrated or Struggling
Tentative
Trying Hard
Its easy
In the Zone
snow report
A big 'thank you' to everyone for the advice.

I am still thinking about the best way forward but my priority at the moment is fitness as the last 4 years of being a desk jockey have not done me any good.

Curtains, sadly I am not 16 Sad ...If I was Very Happy i would have it sorted by now.

I would like to be able to get over to Silksworth soem time for a few runs.

Wayne, The new manual has various drills detailed in it where Level 4 is defined as "Level 3 with your pants round your ankles"

I would suggest that there is another universal negative level set

-1 There is a trainer on the slope.
-2 The trainer is watching you
-3 The trainer has a video camera
-4 The trainer is an attractive lady with a video camera.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy