Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys - First time planner

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. My names Dean and I'm a long time reader, first time poster!

I got married 4 weeks ago and my in-laws have given me the honour/burden of arranging our annual ski-trip. Every year for the last 5 years we have gone to Morzine and enjoyed it a lot but I've done every single run in Port'du'soil about 50 times, so this year I would like to go to The Three Valleys

Was hoping for a bit of advice about the best area to get an apartment with 2 rooms. Chourcheval 1650 looks to be the best for us as it has the restaurants and coffee shops my wifes parents need and the nightlife that we need. Am I wrong?

Also I am having a right headache working out transfers from an airport for our group of 5 adults. Geneva would be my first choice, but happy to go most places for a cheaper price. Any hidden gems out there?

Love you all

Thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courchevel 1650 is a very good choice, but the local night life is not great but it is only a short walk back from 1850. As for transfers, they are often the expensie part of a DIY trip. A train to Moutiers and the bus from there is good option.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:
Courchevel 1650 ... is only a short walk back from 1850.
Short bus ride maybe, but not a short walk.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whats the best airport to get the train to Moutiers?
I think I read that from Geneva you have to change twice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, seemed very short when me and a mate did it smashed at 4am a few years ago. We then did the journey by bus 2 days later and wondered how we didn't die of exposure...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
deanstamford, trains from Chambery will go direct from Moutiers, but you'll need to take a taxi from the airport to the train station. Might be better to look at coach transfers direct to Courchevel, or maybe renting a car if there are 4 of you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Courcheval has kept going a bit 'Russian' if you ask me.

A different choice that your parents-in-law might like could be St. Martin De Belleville. Lovely quaint little village.

If there are 4 of you the cheapest option might be to rent a car from geneva.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can get altibus or bens bus from geneva. I am sure both will go direct. Transfers from GVA will be no problem.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With 4 or more you may find the rental car is best. If you don't want a car one of the bus companies would be best. It takes the hassle out.

We spent 11 days in Meribel this past winter and had plenty to do at night when we had the inclination. There's plenty of bars and restaurants for a week, in the village, up the hill from the village, and in Mottaret. As you know, the valley is right in the middle so it's pretty easy to get around the whole 3V.

We did have a car there and took a couple of day trips. One was to Val d'Isere, a place we had been before. Val d'Isere may be perfect for your group. The village is flat so it's easy walking, there's lots of entertainment options, the skiing is vast and varied, and the village is flat and easy to walk.

However, like most anywhere in France, maybe even especially in Meribel and Val d'Isere, it's expensive, so you'll have to solve the problem of finding a decent place to stay. If you can, as we usually have, you can't go wrong and your in-laws will still like you!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
deanstamford, Have a look at La Tania all the 3 valleys and costs a little bit less. Loads of info at www.latania.co.uk
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
St. Matin and La Tania are both great unless you are looking for boisterous night life.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For 5 people renting a car has the following advantages

(1) You can stay anywhere in Courchevel or Meribel or St. Martin De Belleville or Val Thoren itself. I would consider even Moutiers or 3V's neighbour Valmorel which is a sizeable resort in its own right and still able to ski 3V easily.

(2) It is a better way to ski 3V as you can drive to different access points than going through the same route everyday.

(3) You can have dinner in Albertville. It is 17 miles dual carriage way from Moutiers. It is a proper city with which you can do some shopping.

(4) You can do day trips by driving into the valley as 17 miles is the Bourg St Maurice where you can find Paradiski (La Plagne+Les Arcs). You hit La Plagne first on the way.

(5) You can have a bit of Italy by skiing La Rosiere/La Thuile (about 5 miles from BSM).

(6) It is within a day trip possibility to ski Ste Foy and Espace Killy (Val D'isere and Tignes) as it is just 17 miles further from BSM.

Ablertville --17 miles--Moutiers (3V & Val Morel) ----17 miles-----Bourg St Maurice(La Plagne+Les Arcs) ----17 miles -----Tignes/Val D. Try skiing every run here 50 times as there are 1600km piste in this valley!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with Jack, Val d'Isere would be great as it would suit all of you , I dont know what your budget is but it sounds that there are no kids so off peak times are an option. I have been with YSE twice to Val and cant fault them , and the following (not their poshest) is a great price for flight , transfer , two bedrooms and fantastic food . not sure at £640 per person you would be much worse off and absolutely no hastle with trains , taxi , hire car, and someone cooks for you , also getting to ski on a Saturday when everyone else is on the way home is a major bonus.

http://www.yseski.co.uk/products/1362-9255/jacaranda.php

Finally, Save up and take the Mother-in-Law to the Blizzard Hotel for cocktails , major brownie points.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you have not skied the Three Valleys before there will be more than enough to do over one week without going out of the 3V's.

Tips for saving money include not going at peak times, which could more than halve accommodation costs.

IMO the further away you get from Courchevel the more affordable eating and drinking gets.

Although I would concede that the cruisy runs around 1650 are v.enjoyable. 1650 also has the Bel Air.

If you have a car, then you could stay in Les Allues which is a short drive up to Meribel or to La Tania/1350, has a good French atmosphere and could save you a few quid.

You can also get the bubble up or ski back if you split up. There is also a bus up the hill.

If there are four of you, I would give serious consideration to driving out, rather than hiring a car, the costs of flights and car hire, particularly if you take your own ski's is too expensive.

I am also a fan of Valmorel, which is much less British and more French, we often do a few days in Valmorel and drive up to the 3V's for a couple of days, but I am not sure if this is a great solution if you like to clock up miles om the piste, since you should be able to cover the Grande Domain in 2 or 3 days. Valmorel isn't bad for non skiers, there are some nice walks, the resort is pedestrianised, and there is a good mountain restaurant at the top of the main lift, with a discounted lift pass for patrons of the restaurant. Valmorel would make a good choice if you have any beginners in your group, since ski school and ski hire is significantly cheaper than the neighboring 3V's. Finally you can off piste from Valmorel into St Martin, though you would need to arrange transport to get back.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As others have said a car hire will prob be the cheapest and most convenient transfer option - BensBus to Val T return in £73 so x4 and you easy have enough for car+petrol

Have you thought about seeing if any UK TOs have 2 bedroom apartments as then you would get the benefit of TO transfers? Does it have to be SC? Catered chalets whit a TO often work out better value I think by the time you add on the flight and transfer costs of a DIY holiday
latest report
You could have a look at http://www.courchevel-edelweiss.com/hotel-courchevel-ENG/home.html
We have stayed there & thought it was pretty reasonable for Courchevel, close to slopes & the town.
snow conditions
saikee wrote:
You can do day trips by driving into the valley as 17 miles is the Bourg St Maurice where you can find Paradiski (La Plagne+Les Arcs). You hit La Plagne first on the way.

(5) You can have a bit of Italy by skiing La Rosiere/La Thuile (about 5 miles from BSM).

(6) It is within a day trip possibility to ski Ste Foy and Espace Killy (Val D'isere and Tignes) as it is just 17 miles further from BSM.

I've been to the 3v for 4 weeks and I still feel like I've only scratched the surface of it.

We know you like going to lots of different resorts in a trip - but for most people on their first time trip to the 3v it should be much more than enough - even perhaps a little overwhelming...
latest report
I stayed in 1650 a couple of years ago and whilst it was fine I don't think I would choose to stay there again. I much prefer to be in Mottaret as it's more central for exploring the 3 V's.

I cant comment on the nightlife as we tend to have a few apres ski beers straight off the slopes and then head back to the apartment to cook and get tore into the duty free gin.

I have yet to find a cheap transfer and we always tend to book through someone like Skiddy Gonzales (or the others, cant remember their names) and just suck it up. Never looked into the train option. We always fly into GVA as it suits us best as our mates are dotted throughout the UK so GVA seems to work for us in terms of getting everyone at roughly the same time.

Good luck.
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
saikee wrote:
You can do day trips by driving into the valley as 17 miles is the Bourg St Maurice where you can find Paradiski (La Plagne+Les Arcs). You hit La Plagne first on the way.

I've been to the 3v for 4 weeks and I still feel like I've only scratched the surface of it.

We know you like going to lots of different resorts in a trip - but for most people on their first time trip to the 3v it should be much more than enough - even perhaps a little overwhelming...

Gotta agree here- you don't need a car- you just need to get to 3V, if a car is the easiest way, fine, but park it up for week and don't even think about using it till time to go home.
latest report
In fact, good idea to stay in courchevel 1650, at one edge of 3V, and next time go to Val Thorens, other end, and explore from that side. You won't cover it all in one week
snow report
Can I just start by thanking everyone! Can't believe how much you guys have helped!!

I have lots of ideas now and am looking about

Hiring a car might be an idea but not sure, other people have said there are all sorts of issues with things you have to have in France (like snow chains ect) so I think I'll just stump up the taxi from the airport and try to claw it back some other way

Unfortunately 3 of the 5 people going are teachers so it's going to be week of 22Dec12 which is PEAK time so saving money is pretty hard

If anyone has stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment for less than 1500Euros can you let me know where abouts?

THANKS and I love you all
latest report
deanstamford, The week of 22/12/12 is not quite peak week. The next week, covering the 1st of January will be more expensive and much more crowded.

By a 2 bedroom apartment, I assume you mean a 3 room apartment. These are fairly thin on the ground. I did rent a 4 room apartment in St Martin de Belleville a couple years ago for about 2000 euros over Easter and on occasions found even bigger ones in Val Thorens and Flaine, but these were for much bigger parties of 8 - 12 plus people. For big apartments at low cost look at Bourg st Maurice. Alternatively rent two studios next door to each other.

Since this season is only just finished I do not think many immobiliers have even fixed their prices for next season and the immobilier I use to rent out my apartment has only just contacted me about availability over the summer rental period do not expect to be able to find a rental property until September or October.

At some point in early autumn vitsit the web pages of the resorts you are interested in and on their booking sites note the web address of all the rental agencies (immobiliers), there may be half a dozen for each resort, visit the individual agencies and see what they have to offer. For some reason not all the agency properties find their way onto the the central resort booking agency web sites. Since the week before the 22/12/12 will be very quiet most agencies will allow you to extend your booking forward a day or two if you want to have more than a weeks skiing.

There are bus services from Geneva, Lyon etc to Courchevel, you do not need a taxi, but on days other than the weekend you may need to change buses at Moutiers. For 4 people seriously consider driving, we do it most of the time. It is a fairly relaxed 9 or so hours from Calais to Courchevel, the worst part is always the drive in England to Dover for the ferry.
latest report
La Tania would be my choice - cheaper than 1650 and excellent access to entire 3 valleys
snow report
I believe a multi day 3V ski pass entitles the holder try out a day in Paradiski and another day in Espace Killy so it is something already included in the price.

Been to 3V about 5 to 6 times. The last time I visited Courchevel, Meribel and Val Thoren one day each by parking the car there and exploring only the local valley. Crossing the valleys can take quite a bit of time as the links used to be bottlenecks. I found arriving early and park the car free at Courchevel 1300, next to the chairlift, then one can spend the full day go round the La Tania, 1550, 1650, 1850 and the various peaks. It is just one possible way to concentrate one valley at a time.
ski holidays
Access wise to the whole 3V, Mottaret must be a winner, one gondola ride to top of the Courchevel, same Les Meniures and St Martin, one extra lift to Val Thorens. But not the best for any nightlife or walks. Runs back to village get very busy and chopped up later on in the afternoon.
snow conditions
You could rent two one bedroom apartments in the same building to give yourselves a bit of privacy.

Once you have worked out where in the 3v, do a search on owners direct and you should be able to sort out 2 in the same building.
ski holidays
Hi - If you want to try something REALLY different we have a beautiful 2 bed/2 bath Chalet for private use in the beautiful setting of Courchevel Saint Bon. Website: www.chaletbellevue.com Realise it may not be for you as you want lots of nightlife but there are loads of bars and restaurants 1km away and a couple of restaurants in the village, please just take a look at our website before dismissing it as too much out of the way, our previous guests have loved it there. You certainly would get some lovely accommodation for you and your in-laws and you can ski back to village (this year until end March). We had a lady stay in March who had been an instructor in the three valleys for 25 years and thought it was the best place she had stayed at which we are very proud of! Courchevel Saint Bon is Chef Lieu (capital of Courchevel) - where Courchevel came from, and is at 1150 metres and in a gorgeous location. Courchevel certainly offers great access around resorts and, if you are prepared to stay a little further down you get a heck of a lot more for your money. My parents (in their 80's) come with us when we stay and don't find it a problem at all as the free shuttle is 200m from the door and runs from 07.30am until 02.00am the next morning (up and down to 1850 and La Tania) - AND it runs like clockwork.

Anyway, if you fancy finding out more please don't hesitate to contact us, if not, good luck with your search!
Gill Hayne
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy