Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Making a claim with EHIC card

Poster: A snowHead
Daughter has just returned from season in France, whilst there She visited doctor & had to
get a prescription, they made her pay & wouldn't accept EHIC.
I have been trying to work out how She makes a claim, but it seems well hidden Puzzled
She has feuille de soins & relevant doctors forms & receipts.
Thank you
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Took me thirty seconds:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

I sent off to claim for mine in January, and have had f uck-all back so don't hold your breath.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
provenjohn, My daughter had no joy reclaiming a prescription cost on her EHIC - but she was over 18, & would have had to pay in the uk. Did she see a private doctor in a ski resort?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Some European health systems expect you to pay your bill when you are treated and then claim a refund using your EHIC. Try to apply for your refund before you return home. Find out how to do this in the country-by-country guide.

If you need to make a claim once you return to the UK, call the Overseas Healthcare Team on 0191 218 1999 (Mondy to Friday, 8am–5pm). You will need your National Insurance number and UK bank or building society details to hand.

Remember to keep all receipts and any paperwork (make copies if necessary). You or your insurance company may need them if you're applying for a refund or reimbursement.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If she saw someone in resort then there a decent chance genepi, is right. If it was a private doctor then she aint getting no refund..... that's what travel insurance is for, sorry.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
genepi wrote:
provenjohn, My daughter had no joy reclaiming a prescription cost on her EHIC - but she was over 18, & would have had to pay in the uk. Did she see a private doctor in a ski resort?

in englandshire you have to pay for prescriptions but they are free in scotlandshire... I sometimes travel to englandshire if I ever had to get a prescription while there I wonder if I could claim it back?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmmm......... Yes She saw a private doctor (there aren't any options in that resort), it's mainly the Doctors fees that She wants to claim back!
If She claimed off the travel insurance there is a £50 excess which would make it pointless.
If you can't claim on the EHIC for visiting a private doctor when there aren't any alternatives, then surely the whole thing is a waste of space Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
provenjohn, why don't you or daughter ring the helpline, and see what they say. When my hubby was injured, the excess was waived if the EHIC card was used, so maybe you may be able to do the same with the insurers if the EHIC claim is pointless.
They also got him to complete a form to allow them to claim anything back from DWP if they could.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had to see a doctor in Austria this year for an ear infection. The EHIC card enables you to see a private doc for free but you still have to pay for an outpatient prescription as you do in UK. The card merely enables free immediate treatment or examination as any non UK citizen would receive here with NHS or a drop in GP clinic.

You can claim back cost of prescription from travel insurance but its not worth it really. My prescription costs in Austria were almost exactly same as at home.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
provenjohn wrote:
Hmmmm......... Yes She saw a private doctor (there aren't any options in that resort), it's mainly the Doctors fees that She wants to claim back!
If She claimed off the travel insurance there is a £50 excess which would make it pointless.
If you can't claim on the EHIC for visiting a private doctor when there aren't any alternatives, then surely the whole thing is a waste of space Puzzled

EHIC gives you access to their state healthcare, private doctors cost money just as they would do here.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx wrote:
Your EHIC lets you get state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.
- doesn't cover private doctors.

I had to claim x-ray and prescription costs off my insurer.

I can't see why prescriptions would be covered anyway as you would have to pay for them here.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobmcstuff, unless things have changed recently, prescriptions by NHS hospitals are free. I understand that prescriptions are free for all in Wales and Scotland, and many English residents are also exempt.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Meh, I've never had free prescriptions in England.

This page tells you what the exact arrangements for France are:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinFrance.aspx

For prescriptions
"Reimbursement rates vary between 15% and 100 % of the sale price."

So you might not get much back anyway.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobmcstuff wrote:
Meh, I've never had free prescriptions in England.....

Which tells me you have never been to hospital, were not ill as a child in England, are not 60 or over, are not under 16 (didn't think you were wink), are not 16-18 and in full-time education, are not pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months and don't have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx). Nor do you have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx), have a continuing physical disability that prevents you from going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx, or hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability. Also you don't have a NHS tax credit exemption certificate or a valid HC2 certificate (full help with health costs), nor do you receive either: Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.

Looking at that list, I wonder if you are part of a minority.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never had free prescriptions in England either...

But then I only moved here from Scotland 7 years ago, so I got all my free ones up there Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was ill as a child, but that doesn't really concern me since if there was a charge my mum would have been paying it! I meant more since I've been responsible for my own welfare wink...

Those things are still pretty specific, basically if you're 18-60, employed, and aren't pregnant (I'm male anyway), in receipt of a war pension or have ongoing medical conditions/disabilities then you pay. Which I would think covers quite a large proportion of people? Particularly people who might be going on ski holidays since presumably they are more likely to be healthy and employed...
snow conditions
The EHIC really comes into its own if you need hospital treatment while abroad. My partner has had cause to need treatment for broken bones twice in the last couple of years including a 7 day stay at Moutiers hospital following surgery to repair his broken tib/fib. The travel insurance company sorted out his EHIC (as I had mistakenly given his wrong date of birth on application - ooops) and therefore only had to pay the 'hotel charges' for the hospital, not the full cost of the medical treatment. A saving of many thousands of pounds!
ski holidays
What Scampi Dellahanti said too.
snow report
Quote:

A saving of many thousands of pounds!

Yep, that's what it's all about. the big bills. provenjohn, if your daughter spent a whole season in France and is only out of pocket by the cost of seeing a doctor (which is really rather a bargain in France, actually) then she is doing very well.
snow report
No Carte Neige?
snow report
achilles, approximately 90% of English residents receive free prescriptions. The remainder pay £7.65 per item. If you get more than one item per month, you can buy a prepayment certificate which lasts for either 3 or 12 months. If you are young fit and working, you are likely to pay, but you won't need many prescriptions any way. I hate the charges, I have to collect them on behalf of the government, I am not a tax collector, but they seem to think that I am.
ski holidays
The charges raise £500 million which is less than 1% of total NHS expenditure, and less than 6% of the drugs bill. It actually makes me wonder why they collect it.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
achilles, approximately 90% of English residents receive free prescriptions.

This is clearly why our economy's screwed!

Is is not that of prescriptions dispensed 90% are free?
snow conditions
fatbob, sorry, posting in a hurry as usual.
snow report
Our three month old grand-daughter spent just over 24 hours in the hospital down in Thonon, Monday/Tuesday, having been sent down there by the medical centre in Les Gets. She was running a high temperature and was very listless - bounced out again yesterday evening and seems back to her old self having had numerous blood tests, urine tests - when they could catch some - taken on a litre of various fluids through a drip and a large looking dose of paracetemol.
Our daughter took M's EHIC card with her and so they took which accounted for 80% of the bill and they were left with around 220 euros to pay which she can claim back from MPI, together with the 35 euro charge from the medical centre.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy