Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm 28/29 April - Ski Club GB says CLOSED again: The Reality

Poster: A snowHead
Cairngorm 28th & 29th April 2012

http://youtube.com/v/Hi-mg3U4nuQ
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are those idiots saying it's closed, seriously?

They just can't get it right can they!

FYI anyone and everyone, I'm down the road from the mountain right now (can see it out my window when it's light) and am still recovering from the sun I got over the weekend lol. The ski area was open today and got a top up of fresh overnight and in the morning and then had a sunny last couple of hours. Tomorrow and the day after promise to be nicely warm with low winds and loads to play on and then over the weekend turning colder with more snow!

The mountain is OPEN and the skiing is quite honestly fabulous (best I've had here since the gob smacking season in 09/10) and anyone who doesn't grab a chance to have a slide is frankly missing out big time - I kid you not!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually what they're saying is "Resort temporarily closed" which I think it was first thing in the morning when vis was very bad and snow was falling. However the funicular may well have been running even early on and by the time the report was filed (1.30 PM) I'm pretty sure other tows were running or about to run.

Thing is the Ski Club are invariably clueless about what's happening in Scotland so bear that in mind folks if you're ever wanting info, best place to go is winterhighland.info which has accurate up-to-date information and reports (just be wary of some of the crazier negative rants you get in some threads there).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Top Basin tows were closed for the day due to wind and visibility from the blowing snow this morning. Funicular and M1 Poma were open.

The snow overview text was updated later with the addition of the following:

Quote:
There was a dusting of snow at all our featured resorts on Monday 30th April but all five remained closed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Perhaps if they can't be assed doing a proper job with snow reporting they should just put up a banner saying "Our coverage of this resort has now finished for the season".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, could be that without their CEO they are omni-shambolic.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Update: Ski Club GB still reading closed today Tuesday 1st May. Diabolical!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga wrote:

Thing is the Ski Club are invariably clueless ...

You had me at 'clueless'
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SCGB reports don't appear to have been updated since the end of April, have updates ceased for the season. Nothing to say that reports have stopped, but resorts may still be open? (This applies across the board, not just to Scotland).

Yesterday evening I probed 10 different representative locations between the bottom and top terminal of the Ptarmigan Ski Tow, ranging from near the top station as the west limit to the Ptarmigan Ridge as the East limit. The average depth of the 10 probes was 118cm, the maximum depth probed was in the Ptarmigan Bowl at 280cm. This compares to the SCGB report of upper mountain snow depth of 45cm.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SCGB report summary for Scotland this morning:

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It really is embarrasing that the GB ski club cannot get simple facts right about skiing in our own country!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Come on guys - if they were any good you wouldn't have sites like this. Remember MO day ????? snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, / Anyone............

Thinking seriously about an early start Sunday and getting up to cairngorm for the day, what time would I need to be there to get on first lift so as to avoid queues and more's the point is it open?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29, reckon you'd need to be parked up by 8:30am latest, boots on, wander over, buy ticket ready for 9am first lift??

From the Gorm website:

Equipment hire opening at 9.00am Snowsports ticket prices of £21.00 (adult) and £13.00 (Junior) will apply. First train up 9.00am, last train down 5.00pm. The Mountain Shop, Cas bar are open from 9am

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 4-05-12 14:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Remember Ski Club depths are ON PISTE - ie packed snow. Something I only noticed fairly recently.
snow conditions
Markymark29, kitenski's advice is spot on and of course they're open Toofy Grin (or at least planning to open, obviously check condition on the day but the snow is there and fresh will be falling too snowHead )
latest report
snowball wrote:
Remember Ski Club depths are ON PISTE - ie packed snow. Something I only noticed fairly recently.

Given onpiste snow depths are not routinely measured in Scotland, the Scottish Snowsport Areas don't provide that information, so where is the SCGB data coming from?
ski holidays
I had a go at asking them about their Scottish reports yesterday on their Facebook page, not sure I got a proper answer although I got a fairly defensive one and they responded quickly!

BTW, if you happen to notice I said on there I was a member my excuse is it gives me discounts off BASI courses so saves me money and that's the honest to goodness reason! Embarassed
snow report
roga, BASI discount off courses, really, care to tell me more (feel free to PM...)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy