Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Increased ATOL Travel Protection?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just heard a news item about the changes to the ATOL scheme, see article.

Quote:
"The new type of ATOL introduced is called Flight-Plus.

This is designed to cover holidays where you book a flight, and then add on a hotel or hire car with your travel supplier. This will cover many trips that previously went uncovered - those booked either online, via call centres and in travel agents.

However, Flight-Plus protection only kicks in if you book a flight and then request a hotel or car hire from your travel supplier within one day. If, however, you wait a week to request the hotel you won't be covered."

HOWEVER note that "flights made via airline's websites are not included within the protection scheme". rolling eyes So a welcome (if rather limited) increase in travel protection?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair Pink,

There are quite a few differences now to the ATOL scheme. However the main differences are, as you say the addition of new classes of cover (flight plus, etc) and other reporting requirements.

The DIY obsessed will now be covered, if they take out the ridiculously priced car hire, hotels, etc on some airlines websites. However if you simply book your flight and other sections of your trip DIY style, then you still will not be covered - basically as the CAA can't afford to provide cover if someone like BA or Easyjet goes bust.

Most people who go skiing go with a TO, and they will now notice one of the new reporting requirements is aimed at them (the punter). A new ATOL certificate should be included with the ATOL confirmation you (should always) receive when you book a holiday. This requirement was brought to try and stop “some” (of the smaller) TO’s being very cagey about who was actually supplying the ATOL cover.

We have been issuing the certificates since the layout was confirmed by the CAA a few months ago.

The new certificates should get rid of the situation where some TO’s use phrases like these, all of which basically mean “thanks for your cash, oh by the way, we don’t hold an Air Tour Operator’s License” - “in association with an ATOL holder”, “ on behalf of an ATOL holder”, “working closely with an ATOL holder”, etc, etc, etc. Now when you book a holiday the company that you pay your money to – who you have the contract with – MUST supply you with an ATOL certificate.

The new design of the certificate MUST show:
the names of the people covered,
what is covered, (eg, package tour, Flight Plus, etc)
the dates of the cover, (this is from the date you pay a depsoit - the contract is formed - until you return back to the UK, after your trip)
contact details for the CAA to be used if things go pear shaped,
It should refer to the ATOL confirmation invoice that must be issued at the same time,
The registered contact details of the ATOL holder
the full name and registration number of the ATOL holder,
- the last bit about the name and number is important as it gets rid of the practice of companies using non-registered trading names when supplying holidays, thus making it difficult (impossible in some cases) if a company cases trading whilst you are abroad, to find out who has supplied your covered.

The main criteria of the new certificate is that the layout must NOT be changed by your TO. This means that you must be supplied with the simply worded (non ambiguous) document that the CAA have agreed with the Plain English Society, that clearly lays out your cover and who is providing it.

a copy of the layout can be found here
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?pageid=13008
(page 13)

There are many other items covered in the new regs, many of which are designed to close loop-holes that were exploited by "some" TO's and even more designed to get cash from companies and people that didn't have to pay before the new regs came in.
More details here
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2094&pagetype=90

Happy reading

Shocked Oh yeah, of course the CAA has increased the price they charge to TO’s and this will be passed on to you when you book. But what else did anyone expect. I remember getting an email from the CAA a few years ago regarding the new Air Travel Trust - the government (non-existent) fund that pays out if a TO goes bust. The email said they (CAA) would make a charge of £1 per passenger and that this amount was unlikely to change. Yep, in the last few years this has gone up 450% - and due to raise again at the end of this year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, Thanks ( I think! Toofy Grin )for that detailed explanation. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As I read it, this applies only to holidays which have flights associated with them. So, for example, admin does not have to be an ATOL holder, since the PSB, BB, and EOSB do not have flights associated with them. The SOPiBs have had flights as part of the package, but in that case a TO was the ATOL holder.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, I don’t know the full details of how the bashes are ornganised, but the one time I looked at it (in answer to a question), I came to the conclusion that SH’s doesn’t need an ATOL. But I’m not a lawyer so take this as you like. Remember that the ATOL scheme is run by the CAA, and they are simply not interested in anything that doesn’t involve air travel.

However, as a TO (and in some cases, as achilles points out, a retailer) SH’s is covered by various other requirements and regulations. Before anyone starts on at me, yes SH “is” a TO (under the regulations, PTPHPTR section 2(1) clauses B & C), but I’m not going to get into that discussion, you can either accept it, or not.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Will the new scheme stop school travel firms 'going bust'
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing,
No, that's not what they are for.
The new regs are there to ensure that each TO (even if they don't call themselves a TO) follows the rules and that the public know what those rules are.
The new regs also cover how TO's and retailers interact and the processes to be followed in such an interaction.

Basically they are there to:
Get more money from me Shocked so there is enough in the pot to pay MP's expenses
Ensure the public are informed about the regs and how those regs apply to their holiday
Control the wording of agreements to prevent "stuff"
Itemise various exclusions to the regs (e.g balloon flight, flights to sporting events, etc)
Remove ambiguities (eg if I charter a whole plane and use it for our trips - you always were covered, in "most" cases, now it's all cases)
Control agency agreements
etc
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had a fab and very reasonably costing hol with these guys

http://www.lowcostholidays.com/

I suppose it is DIY as the flights and hotel are booked seperately? Under these cirumstances the new cover sounds great.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy